Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPMonk View Post
    I wonder how the players are staying in shape and decently physically strong enough to pick up in fall - if they get the green light - with all the gyms being closed and teams not allowed to hold practices and use team facilities like the weight room. That has to be hard on the lineman who have to keep lifting to induce and maintain hypertrophy, maintain and build base strength, and build explosiveness required to effectively execute at those positions. Push ups, pull ups,and body weight squats and lunges can only go so far, These guys need a steady diet of continually progressive iron overload.
    I believe coaches can still give players workout routines and have position meetings. The drills and technique stuff is what will suffer.

Comment

• Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post
      Will there be ANY football in 2020?!

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ll-play-season
      Very doubtful

Comment

• Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post
        Will there be ANY football in 2020?!

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ll-play-season
        Nobody knows.

Jus' sayin'
        Last edited by iupgroundhog; 03-29-2020, 12:23 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I believe coaches can still give players workout routines and have position meetings. The drills and technique stuff is what will suffer.
          Yes. I talked to my nephew and he said he is lifting at home, or a buddies house. They do their conditioning drills on HS practice fields or stadium turf where they are allowed.

Comment

• For those not in the Twitter universe ... Matt had an interesting Tweet.

"True fact: If you were to combine the records for the "Big 3" sports -- football and men's and women's basketball -- IUP had the best record in 2019-20 by any university in the country at any level of NCAA competition."

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
              For those not in the Twitter universe ... Matt had an interesting Tweet.

"True fact: If you were to combine the records for the "Big 3" sports -- football and men's and women's basketball -- IUP had the best record in 2019-20 by any university in the country at any level of NCAA competition."

Comment

• Surprising. Twitter is 40% trolls. You'd love it.

Comment

• A couple interesting takes here.

https://www.phillyvoice.com/eytan-sh...stions-advice/

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
                    Should be okay for Marlins baseball https://www.si.com/mlb/2017/06/01/miami-marlins-marlins-park-attendance-no-fans

Click image for larger version

Name:	DBLm5WDWsAAV8c0?format=jpg&name=small.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	496854

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Surprising. Twitter is 40% trolls. You'd love it.
                      It's a cesspool.

Facebook is bad enough.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

It's a cesspool.

Facebook is bad enough.
                        Facebook is far worse!

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

Facebook is far worse!

Comment

• Has anybody else seen that IUP Football's twitter account is counting down the top ten best games of the decade from 2010-2019? I'm not sure what their criteria is, but I thought about all of the IUP games I have seen since I arrived on campus in the fall of 2011. Here's my list based on the games really sticking out and being memorable and/or very meaningful (and be advised... they aren't all victories):

10. 20-15 Win over Cal in 2015:
                            This was a rare night game at Miller Stadium. The game was played on a frigid night in early October. It's all the game that our supposed resident PSAC expert was torched on defense by IUP. Chris Temple and Lenny Williams both had big games in this edition of the Coal Bowl.

9. 17-13 loss at Shepherd in the 2nd round of the 2015 playoffs:
                            This game had it all. There were great players making great plays. There was controversy. And there were dramatics at the end. I forget the specifics of the play when, I think, Ethan Cooper scored a touchdown, but that was a very controversial play that gave IUP the lead. Curt looked to really be in control of this one. They had the lead late in the second half and largely held Billy Brown in check for Shepherd with the exception of one drive that ultimately proved to be the game winner. IUP had a chance late. If I recall correctly, Devin Atland had the winning touchdown pass go through his hands on a 4th and long.

8. 27-22 win against Assumption in the 2017 SR1 championship game:
                            Another back and forth playoff tilt. Assumption was a great team and came away within a few plays of getting past IUP. The Hawks were down late. Lenny Williams completed one big throw in the game for a touchdown. Justice Evans and Duane Brown both had huge games running the football for IUP. Often forgotten is that Assumption actually threw the game winning touchdown pass in the closing seconds of the football game to wide open receiver in the back of the end zone. However, the quarterback had stepped about a yard or so past the line of scrimmage. That's how much of a razor's edge this game was on. IUP was fortunate to win.

7. 21-17 loss at Winston Salem State in the 2012 SR1 Championship game:
                            I remember watching this game with my buddies in my dorm room at Northern Suites. We hooked up my computer to the tv to watch. This was before all of the streaming devices. Had it not been for a hail mary that was connected on at the half, IUP probably wins this football game, and fairly comfortably. Mike Box had a pass knocked away on a 4th and 5 from the WSSU 5 yard line in the final minute. The last drive was incredible. 10+ plays virtually all on the ground. I still think that 2012 team was better than in 2017.

6. 26-23 win over Ashland in the 2017 season opener:
                            IUP was playing from behind all night. Ashland actually held a double digit lead late into the 3rd quarter, and maybe into the early 4th. The rest, as they say, is history. There was a big hit on the Ashland QB that changed the football game. Sarka's game winner kicked deep into the Miller Stadium night got a historic season off to a great start. Who knows what happens that season if they lose that game. I remember taking Thursday and Friday off work to attend this one.

5. 41-7 win over Shippensburg in the 2012 PSAC Championship Game:
                            Led by Zack Zulli, Shippensburg had the best offense in the entire country. It was no match for IUP that day. Miller Stadium was overflowing with people and was equally loud. I'd love to see the gate number for that one. IUP dominated from the opening kickoff. Probably the most memorable Saturday afternoon I ever spent in Miller Stadium as a student. That was the first "we have arrived" moment for Curt Cignetti during his tenure.

4. 40-39 loss at SRU in 2015:
                            This one REALLY sticks out for me. I can remember watching this one. I was going to make the trip in from Columbus until I saw the weather forecast. This game was played in absolute monsoon from start to finish. It never let up. When you look back, this was really the night that the legend of Lenny Williams was born. We was absolutely terrific this night. Kicker Ryan Stewart had a good senior year, but he was pretty awful as a junior. He missed more than one extra point in this game and at least 2 chip shot field goals - although conditions weren't ideal for kicking. IUP was right in the position to win this game multiple times. This was a tough one to swallow. On the 4th down play on IUP's final drive, Walt Pegues got tackled when the ball left Lenny Williams' hand. It was a clear pass interference that wasn't called. Curt went nuts on the sidelines and chased the officials to the locker room.

3. 17-14 win at New Haven in 2nd round of 2012 playoffs:
                            IUP has historically played numerous tight and exciting second round games. This one was no different. New Haven was, I believe, undefeated going into the game. IUP was a clear underdog. People were touting that as being the best NE-10 ever. They were as good as advertised. That game was back and forth. It was controlled by defense. De'Antwan "Rocket" Williams ran back the opening kickoff for a touchdown and also busted off a huge run in the second half that gave IUP control of the football game. New Haven had their best receiver in the back of the end zone for the winning touchdown as time expired, but he couldn't control the catch as he came to the ground. They were that close to losing. Probably the most exciting win I can remember watching from IUP.

2. 26-24 loss at Cal in 2012:
                            Not much else needs to be said here. They blew this one. But... You probably won't ever see a better (crazier) finish ever watching football. I have no other words.

1. 34-17 win at SRU in 2017:
                            Probably the most satisfying win I have watched since I have been following IUP. Both of those teams had a ton of hype for that game, but nobody really knew who was for real yet. That game was going south in a hurry for IUP. Down two touchdowns and inside their own 2 yard line, Samir Bullock avoided a tackle in the end zone that would have resulted in a safety, and ran the next 98 yards untouched to the SRU end zone. That silenced all of Butler County. They often say a game is a tale of two halves... That game was tale of before and after one play... SRU crumbled the rest of that season. They built up that moment and it all came crashing down.

What do you guys think?

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post
                              Has anybody else seen that IUP Football's twitter account is counting down the top ten best games of the decade from 2010-2019? I'm not sure what their criteria is, but I thought about all of the IUP games I have seen since I arrived on campus in the fall of 2011. Here's my list based on the games really sticking out and being memorable and/or very meaningful (and be advised... they aren't all victories):

10. 20-15 Win over Cal in 2015:
                              This was a rare night game at Miller Stadium. The game was played on a frigid night in early October. It's all the game that our supposed resident PSAC expert was torched on defense by IUP. Chris Temple and Lenny Williams both had big games in this edition of the Coal Bowl.

9. 17-13 loss at Shepherd in the 2nd round of the 2015 playoffs:
                              This game had it all. There were great players making great plays. There was controversy. And there were dramatics at the end. I forget the specifics of the play when, I think, Ethan Cooper scored a touchdown, but that was a very controversial play that gave IUP the lead. Curt looked to really be in control of this one. They had the lead late in the second half and largely held Billy Brown in check for Shepherd with the exception of one drive that ultimately proved to be the game winner. IUP had a chance late. If I recall correctly, Devin Atland had the winning touchdown pass go through his hands on a 4th and long.

8. 27-22 win against Assumption in the 2017 SR1 championship game:
                              Another back and forth playoff tilt. Assumption was a great team and came away within a few plays of getting past IUP. The Hawks were down late. Lenny Williams completed one big throw in the game for a touchdown. Justice Evans and Duane Brown both had huge games running the football for IUP. Often forgotten is that Assumption actually threw the game winning touchdown pass in the closing seconds of the football game to wide open receiver in the back of the end zone. However, the quarterback had stepped about a yard or so past the line of scrimmage. That's how much of a razor's edge this game was on. IUP was fortunate to win.

7. 21-17 loss at Winston Salem State in the 2012 SR1 Championship game:
                              I remember watching this game with my buddies in my dorm room at Northern Suites. We hooked up my computer to the tv to watch. This was before all of the streaming devices. Had it not been for a hail mary that was connected on at the half, IUP probably wins this football game, and fairly comfortably. Mike Box had a pass knocked away on a 4th and 5 from the WSSU 5 yard line in the final minute. The last drive was incredible. 10+ plays virtually all on the ground. I still think that 2012 team was better than in 2017.

6. 26-23 win over Ashland in the 2017 season opener:
                              IUP was playing from behind all night. Ashland actually held a double digit lead late into the 3rd quarter, and maybe into the early 4th. The rest, as they say, is history. There was a big hit on the Ashland QB that changed the football game. Sarka's game winner kicked deep into the Miller Stadium night got a historic season off to a great start. Who knows what happens that season if they lose that game. I remember taking Thursday and Friday off work to attend this one.

5. 41-7 win over Shippensburg in the 2012 PSAC Championship Game:
                              Led by Zack Zulli, Shippensburg had the best offense in the entire country. It was no match for IUP that day. Miller Stadium was overflowing with people and was equally loud. I'd love to see the gate number for that one. IUP dominated from the opening kickoff. Probably the most memorable Saturday afternoon I ever spent in Miller Stadium as a student. That was the first "we have arrived" moment for Curt Cignetti during his tenure.

4. 40-39 loss at SRU in 2015:
                              This one REALLY sticks out for me. I can remember watching this one. I was going to make the trip in from Columbus until I saw the weather forecast. This game was played in absolute monsoon from start to finish. It never let up. When you look back, this was really the night that the legend of Lenny Williams was born. We was absolutely terrific this night. Kicker Ryan Stewart had a good senior year, but he was pretty awful as a junior. He missed more than one extra point in this game and at least 2 chip shot field goals - although conditions weren't ideal for kicking. IUP was right in the position to win this game multiple times. This was a tough one to swallow. On the 4th down play on IUP's final drive, Walt Pegues got tackled when the ball left Lenny Williams' hand. It was a clear pass interference that wasn't called. Curt went nuts on the sidelines and chased the officials to the locker room.

3. 17-14 win at New Haven in 2nd round of 2012 playoffs:
                              IUP has historically played numerous tight and exciting second round games. This one was no different. New Haven was, I believe, undefeated going into the game. IUP was a clear underdog. People were touting that as being the best NE-10 ever. They were as good as advertised. That game was back and forth. It was controlled by defense. De'Antwan "Rocket" Williams ran back the opening kickoff for a touchdown and also busted off a huge run in the second half that gave IUP control of the football game. New Haven had their best receiver in the back of the end zone for the winning touchdown as time expired, but he couldn't control the catch as he came to the ground. They were that close to losing. Probably the most exciting win I can remember watching from IUP.

2. 26-24 loss at Cal in 2012:
                              Not much else needs to be said here. They blew this one. But... You probably won't ever see a better (crazier) finish ever watching football. I have no other words.

1. 34-17 win at SRU in 2017:
                              Probably the most satisfying win I have watched since I have been following IUP. Both of those teams had a ton of hype for that game, but nobody really knew who was for real yet. That game was going south in a hurry for IUP. Down two touchdowns and inside their own 2 yard line, Samir Bullock avoided a tackle in the end zone that would have resulted in a safety, and ran the next 98 yards untouched to the SRU end zone. That silenced all of Butler County. They often say a game is a tale of two halves... That game was tale of before and after one play... SRU crumbled the rest of that season. They built up that moment and it all came crashing down.

What do you guys think?

* The game out at Ashland sticks out in my memory. We had a nice crowd out there on their opening night.

* Of course, the 'Sarka Kick' was just incredible to watch live. There was a point in that game I thought IUP was going to get blown out. Don't forget the massive field goal IUP blocked late in that game. But, Sarka nailing a 47-yard walk-off was one for the ages.

* For dubious reasons, the infmaous #LIT-AF game stands out.

* Oddly, two years ago ... the come-from-behind (down 20-0) win over Clarion. IUP looked (and played) as disinterested of 3 quarters as I've ever seen ... then went nuts in the fourth quarter.

* The McPhatter Pick Six ... no other comments needed.

* The Assumption game was like watching IUP play against an expert chess player. That game, on paper, shouldn't have been that close. But, they just knew how to exploit the smallest of things -- onside kicks, etc.

* The Cal night game at Miller was a good one. Nice, lively crowd (at night ... imagine that). Very exciting ending.

My all time favorite game at Miller was when IUP beat a Randy McKavish led SRU in another rare Saturday night game. Tink Stennet was the hero that night ... breaking lose on a long run late in the game. In my memory, that was the largest crowd I have ever seen at Miller.

And, of course, when IUP won up at SRU in the playoffs after SRU ran it up on IUP in the regular season. That was the original 'Rock Dance'

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post
                                I'm not sure what their criteria is
                                I, along with some other people who have seen a lot of games, were asked to submit our personal lists. They were supposed to be best games by IUP, so I didn't pick any losses.

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                                My all time favorite game at Miller was when IUP beat a Randy McKavish led SRU in another rare Saturday night game. Tink Stennet was the hero that night ... breaking lose on a long run late in the game. In my memory, that was the largest crowd I have ever seen at Miller.
                                What a night that was. McKavish had a chance at the end to win the game and SRU got inside the IUP 40 on its last two possessions, but both ended with turnovers on downs. That was a nail-biter if there ever was one.

According to the box score, the attendance that night was 9,200. No home game since then has had that many. Aamir Dew ran for 164 yards, with a long of 51. Tink had six carries for 23 yards, but he did have a 41-yard TD catch early in the fourth quarter.

http://www.indianagazette.com
                                www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X