Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post

Absolutely, but one still has a debt to repay to society. There are fines, a suspended license, often alcohol counseling and safe driving courses, a probationary period, etc.

The article made it sound like some people were circumventing these things because they were in the loop with the old DA. If one person has to pay then everyone should have to pay. That is a big problem with things down at IUP and in the Indiana community it seems.

-
    The newly-elected DA really used that in his campaign ... i.e. too many cases being plead down, too many charges dismissed, etc.

DUI's are big money for small towns. Getting one in Indiana is just such poor judgement. You can walk just about anywhere. There are cabs everywhere, Ubers, etc.

They claim even your first one (assuming you didn't injure or kill anybody) is still about $10,000 when it's all said and done -- assuming the charges don't disappear as you mentioned. Add up the lawyer, classes, lost DL, etc.

I will say the past 5-7 years have been a banner era of IUP athletes staying out of trouble. By that, I mean when it did happen nothing serious happened to them from a legal stance. The worst thing was in Joe's squeaky clean basketball program about 5 years ago ... but ... all charges were dropped.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

The newly-elected DA really used that in his campaign ... i.e. too many cases being plead down, too many charges dismissed, etc.

DUI's are big money for small towns. Getting one in Indiana is just such poor judgement. You can walk just about anywhere. There are cabs everywhere, Ubers, etc.

They claim even your first one (assuming you didn't injure or kill anybody) is still about $10,000 when it's all said and done -- assuming the charges don't disappear as you mentioned. Add up the lawyer, classes, lost DL, etc.

I will say the past 5-7 years have been a banner era of IUP athletes staying out of trouble. By that, I mean when it did happen nothing serious happened to them from a legal stance. The worst thing was in Joe's squeaky clean basketball program about 5 years ago ... but ... all charges were dropped.
      No doubt that Dougherty was a friend of the programs. Just as well that he was removed. I think the clincher for me was when he was trying to criminally try an obvious very mentally ill young man who's parents were both IUP professors. It was a sad case and he should not walk the streets---but he needs to be in an institutional setting not a state pen. He wasn't evil or criminal. He was sick.

Justice and the law only works when it is equally applied to everyone. There should never be any exceptions to it or hometown hero discounts, so to speak.

-

Comment

• Former IUP long snapper Gunnar Royer is head to Baylor as a grad transfer.

One 'tweet' stated he fills an immediate need for the Bears.

Comment

Former IUP long snapper Gunnar Royer is head to Baylor as a grad transfer.

One 'tweet' stated he fills an immediate need for the Bears.
          Good for him, Sounds like a smart move. Plus, I think we have another LS.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Good for him, Sounds like a smart move. Plus, I think we have another LS.
            Drew Stout is still around.
            http://www.indianagazette.com
            www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

• https://www.msn.com/en-us/Sports/nfl...ul5Y?ocid=a2hs

You IUP guys might remember this young man. He has one of those hard earned, interesting path stories. Hang in there fellas and stay safe..

Comment

• Originally posted by Rambaseball View Post
                https://www.msn.com/en-us/Sports/nfl...ul5Y?ocid=a2hs

You IUP guys might remember this young man. He has one of those hard earned, interesting path stories. Hang in there fellas and stay safe..
                Thanks for the article. He certainly did have a difficult path to the NFL. I hope the young man is able to have a successful career.

Comment

• The Driz announced this morning IUP plans to have students on campus in August. Good news.

One measure that may be implemented would be students attend class in-person for half of the semester ... they rotate days so half the class is in-person one day and the other half the next. They go virtual on their off day.

Comment

The Driz announced this morning IUP plans to have students on campus in August. Good news.

One measure that may be implemented would be students attend class in-person for half of the semester ... they rotate days so half the class is in-person one day and the other half the next. They go virtual on their off day.
                    That's great to hear. These schools absolutely need to plan to get kids on campus. I'm glad more and more of them are making these announcements instead of joining cancel culture.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

That's great to hear. These schools absolutely need to plan to get kids on campus. I'm glad more and more of them are making these announcements instead of joining cancel culture.
                      Here is the link to the story in the IG. I think it's great to come forth with a detailed plan that all IUP constituents can have confidence in.

Of course, there is a back up plan if all fails but we aren't going to talk about that.

The article touches on a lot of detail (including sports) and is pretty comprehensive.

https://www.indianagazette.com/news/...6ddd80cd1.html

Comment

Here is the link to the story in the IG. I think it's great to come forth with a detailed plan that all IUP constituents can have confidence in.

Of course, there is a back up plan if all fails but we aren't going to talk about that.

The article touches on a lot of detail (including sports) and is pretty comprehensive.

Thanks for sharing. It's my understanding all PASSHE schools have the same plan. This is the first I've seen the details. All I got from Edinboro is that they're planning for students on campus in August.

Comment

Well, you gotta have a plan. Glad at least IUP has that. Next month is crucial.

Comment

• Not sure if it was mentioned anywhere or not on this forum---but IUP football and basketball legend Dave Smith has passed away at the age of 73. He is best remembered as a standout WR who was drafted by the Pittsburgh Steelers in the 1970 NFL Draft. I believe that he was also a member of the famed IUP football team that played in the 1968 Boardwalk Bowl.

-

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
                              Not sure if it was mentioned anywhere or not on this forum---but IUP football and basketball legend Dave Smith has passed away at the age of 73. He is best remembered as a standout WR who was drafted by the Pittsburgh Steelers in the 1970 NFL Draft. I believe that he was also a member of the famed IUP football team that played in the 1968 Boardwalk Bowl.

-
                              Fondly remember trying to distract him as best we could whenever uhh, er THE INDIANS visited HAMER HALL. Great games, great player. RIP.

Comment

• Anybody remember when we used to talk about football? Lol.

This is typically the transfer season for D1 cast-aways. Any names surfacing?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X