Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open Job Rumblings?

Are there any names floating around about the Seton Hill HC job?

Also...St. Vincent and Thiel on the "local" level?

Re: Open Job Rumblings?

My bet for SH is Mike Kellar.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
      If WL was smart they'd force the current HC Roger Waillae to just the AD role and make Kellar the HC.

Comment

Not that it matters to us......BUT.....

St. Vincent has named former QB and current GCC Head Coach Aaron Smetanka their next Head Football Coach.

Comment

Knew him as the star QB with the Erie Explosion champion indoor football team.
          He's got the ring.

Comment

Is that a desirable job?

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
              Is that a desirable job?
              MArk my words Keller with 35 scholarships spells trouble for the PSAC

Comment

Originally posted by GhostOfHomer01 View Post
                MArk my words Keller with 35 scholarships spells trouble for the PSAC
                I think kellar is a good coach too, that's why WL should kick the current HC out and let him do it there. I think WL has the most scholly money in the MEC and is in a nice area for recruiting sandwiched between west PA and east OH.

Comment

Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post
                  I think kellar is a good coach too, that's why WL should kick the current HC out and let him do it there. I think WL has the most scholly money in the MEC and is in a nice area for recruiting sandwiched between west PA and east OH.

Comment

He's beyond the ideal fit for the Seton Hill job. He knows the PSAC West. He knows the high schools. He's established as a head coach.

He's also approaching the age where he might actually stay awhile rather than try a quick flip and get out of Dodge.

Is Seton Hill a desirable job? Tough question. It's not an easy one. That's for sure. For starters, you're playing IUP, Cal and SRU every year. It's still a program in its infancy. There doesn't appear to be much support -- both from a fan base and also from the university brass.

Advantages: Good academic school. Location is right in the heart of WPIAL country. Nice campus. Greensburg is a nice town although it will never be a 'college town'.

Disadvantages: Good academic school (tougher admissions). Expensive. Off-campus stadium (yes, it's a high school stadium but so are 98% of the other PSAC stadiums). You have to be able to out-recruit the established IUP, SRU, Cal (and others) in their backyard. No history or tradition. No fan base. The job likely won't pay much compared to other top-end PSAC schools. Coach won't get the perks of being in the PASSHE (pension, etc.)

I think he'd have much more success if he'd ever get the West Liberty job. But, that's a real messy situation down there. The big donor (I mean, BIG donor) loves the current coach by all reports despite running a fully-funded program in to the Lock Haven level. The fear seems to be if they can the current coach ... the money may stop flowing.

Comment

He's beyond the ideal fit for the Seton Hill job. He knows the PSAC West. He knows the high schools. He's established as a head coach.

He's also approaching the age where he might actually stay awhile rather than try a quick flip and get out of Dodge.

Is Seton Hill a desirable job? Tough question. It's not an easy one. That's for sure. For starters, you're playing IUP, Cal and SRU every year. It's still a program in its infancy. There doesn't appear to be much support -- both from a fan base and also from the university brass.

Advantages: Good academic school. Location is right in the heart of WPIAL country. Nice campus. Greensburg is a nice town although it will never be a 'college town'.

Disadvantages: Good academic school (tougher admissions). Expensive. Off-campus stadium (yes, it's a high school stadium but so are 98% of the other PSAC stadiums). You have to be able to out-recruit the established IUP, SRU, Cal (and others) in their backyard. No history or tradition. No fan base. The job likely won't pay much compared to other top-end PSAC schools. Coach won't get the perks of being in the PASSHE (pension, etc.)

I think he'd have much more success if he'd ever get the West Liberty job. But, that's a real messy situation down there. The big donor (I mean, BIG donor) loves the current coach by all reports despite running a fully-funded program in to the Lock Haven level. The fear seems to be if they can the current coach ... the money may stop flowing.
                      I don't think they are that small minded. If the program becomes a winner, then more money will come. Everyone loves being with a winning program.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony33 View Post
                        I don't think they are that small minded. If the program becomes a winner, then more money will come. Everyone loves being with a winning program.
                        I'll let our buddy BOAT answer that part .... lol

Comment

Originally posted by Tony33 View Post

Comment

Comment

Pretty sure the current coach is also the acting AD. Simple enough solution is for him to keep the donor happy as the AD and let Keller run the show and get WL going.

Sounds pretty simple enough at least.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X