Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

There is no easy way to compare these two teams. No common opponents (see correction below). Different regions.

I guess, if you have the time, you could review film like Mad3Boss did

Mad3Boss concludes the MSU DL and LB's are slow. I question that. I'm not looking at film but they do have a lot of sacks and TFL this year. If they can put pressure on RR3, Rock will be in a bad way. I haven't seen RR3 under pressure in any of the games . He can run like hell but that would disrupt everything for SRU.

As for SRU's defense, they won't be able to stop MSU's running attack and I expect MSU to be able to pass on the Rock D.

Oops, my bad. They both played Wayne State. SRU won 62-37. MSU beat Wayne State 62-7.
      Last edited by iupgroundhog; 12-09-2019, 11:34 AM.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
          There is no easy way to compare these two teams. No common opponents (see correction below). Different regions.

I guess, if you have the time, you could review film like Mad3Boss did

Mad3Boss concludes the MSU DL and LB's are slow. I question that. I'm not looking at film but they do have a lot of sacks and TFL this year. If they can put pressure on RR3, Rock will be in a bad way. I haven't seen RR3 under pressure in any of the games . He can run like hell but that would disrupt everything for SRU.

As for SRU's defense, they won't be able to stop MSU's running attack and I expect MSU to be able to pass on the Rock D.

Oops, my bad. They both played Wayne State. SRU won 62-37. MSU beat Wayne State 62-7.
          Different Wayne States.

Comment

As much as I'd like to speculate - I can't really predict how much of a chance Slippery Rock has in this game until the end of the 1st quarter. Such is the history of PSAC versus the other regions in the National Playoffs. They either seem to be able to hang with their opponent - or they get blown away and only seem to get back in the game once the other team pulls its starters or calls the dogs off - I know that's insane to say about a National Semifinal game, but that's the history.

Some recent history of the PSAC in the semifinals, Shepherd excluded - updated to include Cal teams I missed:

In 2005 East Stroudsburg University had one of the most prolific offenses the PSAC had ever seen. They lost in the semifinal on the road 55-20 to Grand Valley State.
            In 2007 California of PA lost in the semifinal at home to Valdosta State, 28-24.
            In 2008 California of PA lost in the semifinal at home to Minnesota Duluth, 45-7
            In 2009 California of PA lost in the semifinal on the road to NW Missouri State, 56-31.
            In 2013 West Chester lost in the semifinal on the road to Lenoir-Rhyne, 42-14.
            In 2017 IUP lost in the semifinal at home to West Florida 27-17.

East Stroudsburg and West Chester got their doors blown off - until this year with SRU, East Stroudsburg was the most prolific PSAC offense I've ever seen. Didn't matter.

California played Valdosta State tight, but theirs was a team filled with D-I transfers.

IUP appeared able to hang with West Florida, but a slow start doomed them.

I think as a region our best teams are getting closer - not closer to a national championship, but closer to being competitive in the playoffs with out of region teams. However, until the ball is snapped I have no idea how this will go. As iupgroundhog said - No common opponents. No measuring stick. History says it will go poorly. I'm hoping otherwise - but we'll have to see.
            Last edited by Captain Obvious; 12-09-2019, 12:05 PM. Reason: I'm dumb and forgot about Cal's runs in 2008 and 2009 - Thanks IUP24!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Obvious View Post
                As much as I'd like to speculate - I can't really predict how much of a chance Slippery Rock has in this game until the end of the 1st quarter. Such is the history of PSAC versus the other regions in the National Playoffs. They either seem to be able to hang with their opponent - or they get blown away and only seem to get back in the game once the other team pulls its starters or calls the dogs off - I know that's insane to say about a National Semifinal game, but that's the history.

Some recent history of the PSAC in the semifinals, Shepherd excluded:

In 2005 East Stroudsburg University had one of the most prolific offenses the PSAC had ever seen. They lost in the semifinal on the road 55-20 to Grand Valley State.
                In 2007 California of PA lost in the semifinal at home to Valdosta State, 28-24.
                In 2013 West Chester lost in the semifinal on the road to Lenoir-Rhyne, 42-14.
                In 2017 IUP lost in the semifinal at home to West Florida 27-17.

East Stroudsburg and West Chester got their doors blown off - until this year with SRU, East Stroudsburg was the most prolific PSAC offense I've ever seen. Didn't matter.

California played Valdosta State tight, but theirs was a team filled with D-I transfers.

IUP appeared able to hang with West Florida, but a slow start doomed them.

I think as a region our best teams are getting closer - not closer to a national championship, but closer to being competitive in the playoffs with out of region teams. However, until the ball is snapped I have no idea how this will go. As iupgroundhog said - No common opponents. No measuring stick. History says it will go poorly. I'm hoping otherwise - but we'll have to see.
                You left out the Cal the teams that got their doors blown off by Minnesota Duluth and Northwest Missouri State in 2008 and 2009.

The next two weeks might prove different, but that Cal team was the best team the PSAC, and region, might have ever had. Valdosta State went on to win the next week. You figure that Cal probably does too. They were right there.

Comment

Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

You left out the Cal the teams that got their doors blown off by Minnesota Duluth and Northwest Missouri State in 2008 and 2009.

The next two weeks might prove different, but that Cal team was the best team the PSAC, and region, might have ever had. Valdosta State went on to win the next week. You figure that Cal probably does too. They were right there.
                  You are so right! I can't believe I forgot them... I had a hard time tracking down the brackets outside of the National Champion and Runner-Up for each of those years, so I was mostly going on memory.
                  Last edited by Captain Obvious; 12-09-2019, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Obvious View Post

You are so right! I can't believe I forgot them... was Cal on the road for both those games? I had a hard time tracking down the brackets outside of the National Champion and Runner-Up for each of those years...

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Two different Wayne States. That threw me when I was skimming over their schedules too.

Comment

Last edited by Purple Mav Man; 12-09-2019, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Not true. Not true at all. Virtually everybody expected SRU to win the region and gives the Rock a chance to win Saturday. This Saturday the competition jumps to a different level, though. MSU is a formidable foe. We'll be watching.

Maybe you let IUPNation get under your skin.

Comment

Last edited by IUP24; 12-09-2019, 01:44 PM.

Comment

You played plenty of Pee Sack bottom feeders. You had IUP by the throat and we got back into the game. You outlasted SCI Mon Valley and needed last second heroics vs Kutztown. This is the next level.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

You played plenty of Pee Sack bottom feeders. You had IUP by the throat and we got back into the game. You outlasted SCI Mon Valley and needed last second heroics vs Kutztown. This is the next level.
                                Oh and shepherd and notre dame. ?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X