Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: IUP Name

Pitt was private and the state gave them an indefinite bailout from bankruptcy.

IUP would have to buy themselves out of state ownership. That would probably take several billion.

Also a medical program is a terrible idea. Almost as bad as a law school.

Comment

I think there was some momentum some years back to either rename IUP as Sutton University or Western Pennsylvania.

I would actually like to have seen IUP establish some professional schools. I thought a law school would have been a decent idea or maybe a school of engineering. I don't think that there is enough of a medical community in Indiana County to have a med school.

-

Comment

Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
        I think there was some momentum some years back to either rename IUP as Sutton University or Western Pennsylvania.

I would actually like to have seen IUP establish some professional schools. I thought a law school would have been a decent idea or maybe a school of engineering. I don't think that there is enough of a medical community in Indiana County to have a med school.

-
        We are more geared to keep Starbucks fully staffed with barista's with some of these deadend majors.

Comment

I've been told several times that decades ago IUP looked into changing its name to WPU but Pitt blocked it because for some reason they still hold the trademark on Western University of Pennsylvania, arguing that the names were too similar.

The medical field is under a lot of flux but I'd say IUP would be too late to the party and geographically speaking they are too. IUP wouldn't be successful starting a full fledged medical school. I can't think of a school with that size and limited resources having a med school. The most realistic option would be a school of osteopathic medicine. RMU lost millions trying to launch one 15 years ago. Seton Hill started one through a partnership with LECOM. Duquesne recently announced plans to start one too. I'd say the regional market is flooded.

Comment

Or just change it to The Western Pennsylvania State University as it was originally intended...

Comment

IUP (as said that way) is a fairly well-known name. Fairly well known, mind you, in good ways and bad.

Many in PA who are not 'IUP people' or state school people ... well, one image unfortunately comes to mind quickly.

I've long thought there would be positives to doing a re-brand, per se.

Not to take away from the alumni of the 80s and 90s ... they put the time and effort in to establish IUP's party school reputation. However as that generation all has children now ... enrollment is tanking. Coincidence ... perhaps. Maybe not.

Ironically, minus the crap show in March, IUP is as calm as it has been in at least 30 years. Now, some of that calm perception has to do with keeping things quiet. Recall the local media got cutoff from campus police logs. But, living here, the town is much, much quieter.

Part of it is due to the enrollment debacle. The slum lord industry that once ran rampant is dying. Quickly. There are drastically less college slum houses in town. So, most of the student body is living closer to or on campus. Lots and lots of the old college houses have been bought up by flippers and sold as single family homes.

Reputations are sometimes nearly impossible to fix.
              Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 01-03-2020, 08:35 AM.

Comment

Remember New Coke?! Stick with IUP. It's not IUP's fault that people can't fathom a place called Indiana anywhere outside the state of Indiana...Little known fact: Philadelphia Cream Cheese is NOT from Philly...

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                  IUP (as said that way) is a fairly well-known name. Fairly well known, mind you, in good ways and bad.

Many in PA who are not 'IUP people' or state school people ... well, one image unfortunately comes to mind quickly.

I've long thought there would be positives to doing a re-brand, per se.

Not to take away from the alumni of the 80s and 90s ... they put the time and effort in to establish IUP's party school reputation. However as that generation all has children now ... enrollment is tanking. Coincidence ... perhaps. Maybe not.

Ironically, minus the crap show in March, IUP is as calm as it has been in at least 30 years. Now, some of that calm perception has to do with keeping things quiet. Recall the local media got cutoff from campus police logs. But, living here, the town is much, much quieter.

Part of it is due to the enrollment debacle. The slum lord industry that once ran rampant is dying. Quickly. There are drastically less college slum houses in town. So, most of the student body is living closer to or on campus. Lots and lots of the old college houses have been bought up by flippers and sold as single family homes.

Reputations are sometimes nearly impossible to fix.

Comment

Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post
                    Remember New Coke?! Stick with IUP. It's not IUP's fault that people can't fathom a place called Indiana anywhere outside the state of Indiana...Little known fact: Philadelphia Cream Cheese is NOT from Philly...
                    New Coke was terrible. It tasted like Pepsi.

Comment

Originally posted by BADinPA View Post
                      it could be free of the Commonwealth
                      PA SB1275 was almost six years ago.

Comment

The president said that? Jesus. You could at least keep up the fiction that you're running an academic institution.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

New Coke was terrible. It tasted like Pepsi.
                          That was like circa 1985. I recall Coke immediately reissued the old formula and rebranded it as Coca-Cola Classic. We had a Coke machine in our locker room in high school and we all bought it like it was going out of style. It was a big deal.

-

Comment

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Or just change it to The Western Pennsylvania State University as it was originally intended...
                            Having a similar problem in the MON VALLEY, there was, if I recall correctly, an effort by DR ARMENTI to take the school private by allowing a wealthy family (their name escapes me) to come up with a huge endowment and rebrand with their family name. Word got out and alumni came out of the woodwork to shoot down that idea. ARMENTI then came up with plan B which was to embrace the confusion as a basis for popularizing the CAL U name. I didn't think it worked too well until the WBB run in '15 where the national announcers went with it consistently backed by a solid cheering section doing the CAL WHO... cheer.
                            Given that to my recollection IUP has had several highly successful entrepreneurs raking in the BIG$$$, I would suggest at least some exploration of the private option maybe under the PENNSYLVANIA WESTERN UNIVERSITY brand. I suspect that PASSHE may be interested in moving IUP and WCU into the STATE RELATED status like PITT and TEMPLE if the finances can be worked out. Just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                              I've been told several times that decades ago IUP looked into changing its name to WPU but Pitt blocked it because for some reason they still hold the trademark on Western University of Pennsylvania, arguing that the names were too similar.
                              I've heard that one and I've also heard that local pols and lobbyists wanted to retain the name "Indiana" in the name. It seems nobody really knows. I have to think that in 1965 people were so enamored with adding the word "University" in the middle of the name that it really didn't matter. There was probably no real consideration given to "branding" like we have now. In 1965, only Proctor & Gamble did that.

I think we're just stuck with it at this point, unless someone were to step forward with a 9 figure bequeath then it would become Distelfink U. or something similar.

Regionally, meaning in PA and neighboring states, IUP is pretty well-defined. Nationally, there is confusion. That's always been a problem because IUP always wanted to be considered a national university (and technically it is). But then I think what if you go to California or Texas or Kansas and say I went to Bloomsburg or Shippensburg. They won't know what that is, either.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X