Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
    I've heard that one and I've also heard that local pols and lobbyists wanted to retain the name "Indiana" in the name. It seems nobody really knows. I have to think that in 1965 people were so enamored with adding the word "University" in the middle of the name that it really didn't matter. There was probably no real consideration given to "branding" like we have now. In 1965, only Proctor & Gamble did that.

I think we're just stuck with it at this point, unless someone were to step forward with a 9 figure bequeath then it would become Distelfink U. or something similar.

Regionally, meaning in PA and neighboring states, IUP is pretty well-defined. Nationally, there is confusion. That's always been a problem because IUP always wanted to be considered a national university (and technically it is). But then I think what if you go to California or Texas or Kansas and say I went to Bloomsburg or Shippensburg. They won't know what that is, either.
    IUPUI doesn't help, either.

Comment

Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

The president said that? Jesus. You could at least keep up the fiction that you're running an academic institution.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

Having a similar problem in the MON VALLEY, there was, if I recall correctly, an effort by DR ARMENTI to take the school private by allowing a wealthy family (their name escapes me) to come up with a huge endowment and rebrand with their family name. Word got out and alumni came out of the woodwork to shoot down that idea. ARMENTI then came up with plan B which was to embrace the confusion as a basis for popularizing the CAL U name. I didn't think it worked too well until the WBB run in '15 where the national announcers went with it consistently backed by a solid cheering section doing the CAL WHO... cheer.
        Given that to my recollection IUP has had several highly successful entrepreneurs raking in the BIG$$$, I would suggest at least some exploration of the private option maybe under the PENNSYLVANIA WESTERN UNIVERSITY brand. I suspect that PASSHE may be interested in moving IUP and WCU into the STATE RELATED status like PITT and TEMPLE if the finances can be worked out. Just a thought.

Comment

Maybe I'm too old but WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA brings up images of the RUST BELT, coal mining and the steel industry. It's not so obvious now but when you recognize the odor of burning coal, know what mine subsidence is and have seen massive fish kills due to runoff from strip mines, WP is not a really positive image. But if this were to go beyond the MB stage I'm sure consultants will be called in to help with the decision.

Comment

Maybe I'm too old but WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA brings up images of the RUST BELT, coal mining and the steel industry. It's not so obvious now but when you recognize the odor of burning coal, know what mine subsidence is and have seen massive fish kills due to runoff from strip mines, WP is not a really positive image. But if this were to go beyond the MB stage I'm sure consultants will be called in to help with the decision.
            Western Penn University / Federal Prison

Comment

This is not without a successful precedent......Does anyone remember Glassboro State College? It was considered a dump and lowest of the New Jersey State Schools.......now.....it is known as Rowan University is growing leaps and bounds and considered a very strong public university. Took place in 1992. Engineering began in 1996 and it became a University in 1997. IUP....where oh where is that YouTube money? If you dream it you can live it.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Row...-of-New-Jersey

Comment

Originally posted by only1 View Post
                This is not without a successful precedent......Does anyone remember Glassboro State College? It was considered a dump and lowest of the New Jersey State Schools.......now.....it is known as Rowan University is growing leaps and bounds and considered a very strong public university. Took place in 1992. Engineering began in 1996 and it became a University in 1997. IUP....where oh where is that YouTube money? If you dream it you can live it.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Row...-of-New-Jersey
                So named because industrialist HENRY ROWAN, in July of '92, plunked down $100,000,000 in endowment and the state thought it appropriate that they change the school's name. Oddly enough, ROWAN made his fortune off his invention of a metal melting furnace.

Comment

The University of The Yinzerlands!

Comment

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

The University of The Yinzerlands!
                    The Public University 55 miles northeast of Pittsburgh (formerly known as Indiana University of Pennsylvania)

Comment

To Woo Students, Colleges Choose Names That Sell...... https://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/11/e...that-sell.html https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States

Comment

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post
                        West Chester could be The University of Southeastern Pennsylvania.
                        Either of those would be better than what could've been Turk's Head University of Pennsylvania.

Comment

Originally posted by Wcball00 View Post

Either of those would be better than what could've been Turk's Head University of Pennsylvania.
                          I get that. It's hilarious.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X