Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slippery Rock

Saw this article shared online. Good for Slippery Rock being transparent on this. The university where I work has been caught in this before. Coaches can green light a kid through admissions - but the coaches at the previous school can't be considered a reliable source for this kind of information. My office processes the student conduct clearances for our students wishing to transfer. Really surprised Slippery Rock wasn't already doing this.

https://www.ellwoodcityledger.com/ne...sexual-assault

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    Saw this article shared online. Good for Slippery Rock being transparent on this. The university where I work has been caught in this before. Coaches can green light a kid through admissions - but the coaches at the previous school can't be considered a reliable source for this kind of information. My office processes the student conduct clearances for our students wishing to transfer. Really surprised Slippery Rock wasn't already doing this.

https://www.ellwoodcityledger.com/ne...sexual-assault
    Not making SRU look real good in that article regarding Eric Glover-Williams.

Maybe they also 'didn't know' what was let in to that basketball program up there for the past decade.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Not making SRU look real good in that article regarding Eric Glover-Williams.

Maybe they also 'didn't know' what was let in to that basketball program up there for the past decade.
      My understanding from folks at SRU is that the president when he learned of certain things (like MBB transfers) didn't hesitate to order changes. The Kevin Reynolds saga includes some balking at the directives of the president.

I think this article is worse for the student than the program. Like I said, coaches will take another coach at his word and that's it. Sometimes not even doing a Google search on the kid (*cough*).

Comment

Here's the part I don't get:

Slippery Rock knew that Glover-Williams had been involved in a student conduct case and violated team rules we were told the incident in question was not a legal issue and that Eric was never charged or held responsible for any wrongdoingstatementno record of an inquiry from Slippery Rock University regarding Eric Glover-Williams

What does 'found responsible for rape' mean? Who found him responsible? Most people 'found responsible for rape' go to prison for a long time. This story has some holes in it.

Comment

Here's the part I don't get:

Slippery Rock knew that Glover-Williams had been involved in a student conduct case and violated team rules we were told the incident in question was not a legal issue and that Eric was never charged or held responsible for any wrongdoingstatementno record of an inquiry from Slippery Rock University regarding Eric Glover-Williams

What does 'found responsible for rape' mean? Who found him responsible? Most people 'found responsible for rape' go to prison for a long time. This story has some holes in it.
          The university. That's student conduct process language. A university can investigate and sanction a student for conduct that is a crime separately from a criminal investigation. Sexual misconduct his very murky and the criminal justice process doesn't do victims much justice. In many states, when a victim who doesn't want to testify 24 months after her alleged rape because she's finally mentally moved on, the state automatically drops the case. Even if the victim has provided sworn affidavits, statements, and video testimony as part of the investigation and pre-trial activity. The university sanctions the student while the police and DA fiddle around. It's the same as being accused of theft at work, HR investigates and fires you, but you're never charged criminally.

BUT I'm guessing that a football coach called another football coach and the OSU coach talked him up. The newspaper probably called an administrative office that would have provided student conduct information to the school he wishes to transfer to.

Years ago a kid reported to football camp with a house arrest bracelet. When coaches Googled him they found out why. He moved out within 24 hours. But they were able to ram him through the admissions process at the last second as an FBS transfer and didn't do the due diligence. Also didn't give the new school time to ask the old school about his conduct history.
          Last edited by Fightingscot82; 01-06-2020, 01:35 PM.

Comment

from what I heard, everything was handled responsibly.

Comment

The university. That's student conduct process language. A university can investigate and sanction a student for conduct that is a crime separately from a criminal investigation. Sexual misconduct his very murky and the criminal justice process doesn't do victims much justice. In many states, when a victim who doesn't want to testify 24 months after her alleged rape because she's finally mentally moved on, the state automatically drops the case. Even if the victim has provided sworn affidavits, statements, and video testimony as part of the investigation and pre-trial activity. The university sanctions the student while the police and DA fiddle around. It's the same as being accused of theft at work, HR investigates and fires you, but you're never charged criminally.

BUT I'm guessing that a football coach called another football coach and the OSU coach talked him up. The newspaper probably called an administrative office that would have provided student conduct information to the school he wishes to transfer to.

Years ago a kid reported to football camp with a house arrest bracelet. When coaches Googled him they found out why. He moved out within 24 hours. But they were able to ram him through the admissions process at the last second as an FBS transfer and didn't do the due diligence. Also didn't give the new school time to ask the old school about his conduct history.

As it's easy to find in other articles regarding Glover-Williams, he went on the record (in the media) as saying he left Ohio State due to a lack of playing time. Those same articles state he enrolled in a JUCO for a year but elected not to play football as to not waste a year of eligibility. His plan was to then sign with another P5 program. Many had interest.

However, when the time came no P5 schools offered him. Kind of odd for a 4-star, Ohio State cast-off who was signed by Urban Meyer. Just a hunch but schools, such as Toledo in the above article, did their due-diligence on him.

Doesn't really matter now. He played his two years and SRU benefited. Some parts of the story are certainly a little 'murky', however, to say the least.

Comment

As it's easy to find in other articles regarding Glover-Williams, he went on the record (in the media) as saying he left Ohio State due to a lack of playing time. Those same articles state he enrolled in a JUCO for a year but elected not to play football as to not waste a year of eligibility. His plan was to then sign with another P5 program. Many had interest.

However, when the time came no P5 schools offered him. Kind of odd for a 4-star, Ohio State cast-off who was signed by Urban Meyer. Just a hunch but schools, such as Toledo in the above article, did their due-diligence on him.

Doesn't really matter now. He played his two years and SRU benefited. Some parts of the story are certainly a little 'murky', however, to say the least.
                I saw an article talking about his connection with Shawn Lutz. I'm not accusing Lutz of inpropriety, but after reading the two articles it sure as hell seems like Lutz overlooked why Glover-Williams was leaving Ohio State because of the connection.

Comment

I saw an article talking about his connection with Shawn Lutz. I'm not accusing Lutz of inpropriety, but after reading the two articles it sure as hell seems like Lutz overlooked why Glover-Williams was leaving Ohio State because of the connection.
                  Seems to be a lot of unanswered questions here that will likely remain unanswered. In PSAC-speak it does raise the question of whether Lutz has become intoxicated on the D1 transfer without regard to their personal baggage, in the way that Frank, Sr. had become many years ago.

It looks bad and it raises the question of whether the young man should have even been accepted by the university.

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Seems to be a lot of unanswered questions here that will likely remain unanswered. In PSAC-speak it does raise the question of whether Lutz has become intoxicated on the D1 transfer without regard to their personal baggage, in the way that Frank, Sr. had become many years ago.

It looks bad and it raises the question of whether the young man should have even been accepted by the university.
                    Just think we got trounced on here for three players not shaking hands. The SRU announcer said 'typical classless IUP' on the air.

Yeah. This news looks REAL classy.

Comment

Originally posted by RockNation View Post
                      from what I heard, everything was handled responsibly.
                      Of course you'd say that! Absolutely disgusting!!!

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Isn't it ironic, dontcha think?

Slimey Pebble is like a right wing bible thumping evangelical. Goes around pointing fingers at everyone else while proclaiming their moral and wholesome superiority but in reality is worse than all of their accusations against everyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Slimey Pebble is like a right wing bible thumping evangelical. Goes around pointing fingers at everyone else while proclaiming their moral and wholesome superiority but in reality is worse than all of their accusations against everyone else.

No dude...That's YOU!!!

Comment

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

You project your warped view of us on us and try to pass it off as fact.. you're a dumb dumb.

Comment

The story doesn't look good.. EGW was trash in the secondary anyway. Hopefully everything was handled on the up and up in regards to his admision anything after that is EGW

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X