Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steelheads...

Any of you Erie boys get out after any steelheads? I fish southcentral Pa in the limestoners. Hear the run has been awesome so far this year

Guess none of the Erie boys don't want any company from us good ole southern boys. But I did read a couple articles in the Pittsburgh Post Gazette abut how good the fishing has been in the erie tributaries. Catching them on egg sags shaped like footballs.

Comment

Yeah, i kind of doubted there would be any takers but I thought I remembered one of you IUP guys talking about "idly casting for rainbows" in one of these posts. Getting out with a flyrod is kind of like therapy and away from the hustle and bustle. Thanks for posting.

Comment

Sorry. I'm not a trout or flyfishing guy. I do like casting for smallmouth or casting and trolling for muskies.

Comment

Where you hunting for muskies? Biggest one? One fish i have never hooked onto. And you don't get into any Poconos water?

Comment

Originally posted by Rambaseball View Post
            Where you hunting for muskies? Biggest one? One fish i have never hooked onto. And you don't get into any Poconos water?
            No I'm in Pittsburgh. There's a small lake in Edinboro that has decent muskies but I've trolled at Lake Arthur (Moraine SP), Pymatuning on the PA/OH border, and Chautauqua Lake in NY.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

No I'm in Pittsburgh. There's a small lake in Edinboro that has decent muskies but I've trolled at Lake Arthur (Moraine SP), Pymatuning on the PA/OH border, and Chautauqua Lake in NY.
              There are two nice spots for Musky fishing very close to Indiana -- Loyalhanna and Keystone Power Damn. Keystone has couple 50" to 60" muskies caught yearly. I don't see ones as large being taken out of Loyalhanna but I'm sure they are in there. Very stubborn fish.

They are the King of the Sea in freshwater.

Comment

I have definitely seen some that would actually scare the crap out of me if hooked on a little fly line. I agree they are King in freshwater......compared to my little 9" brookies. Coming to Shepherdstown this year?

Comment

I think you're referring to me with the idly casting. I fish stocked trout in the Eastern Panhandle. Probably head out tomorrow morning since the state stocked 4 streams today although I'm sure the trout hogs who have contacts that call them when the stocking truck pulls up have just about fished out the stocking spots. These trout hogs appear out of nowhere. One day on a lark, I tossed my rod in the car and drove down to Bunker Hill in case they stocked. I walked down from the parking lot to the stream to rock a whiz and when I turned around to head back the stocking truck showed up. I'm the only one there at this point. I watched the guys throw one big net - about 50 fish - in the crick and turn around to get my rod out of the car when there appeared about half dozen trout hogs out of nowhere, almost like they just popped up from the ground, and hot footing it to the pools and hot spots. I just left and went to a spot less traveled and caught a couple carry over trout that had worked their way down stream from previous stockings. Sometimes though, the trout won't bite right after stocking and the trout hogs won't come back the next morning. That's when a fellow can catch his limit in about 3 hours give or take.

Comment

Well, i hear ya. I live in Winchester Va but still close to Shepherd and home. I am from the Chambersburg-Mercersburg area so i get over to the Yellow Breeches once in a while and then Spring Creek at State College not nearly enough. Otherwise i am hitting up my favorite local spots. In Virginia people will actually park and wait at the hatcheries, sometimes, for hours for the trucks to leave. Then follow them and hope they are hitting after being stocked. I stopped buying a Va license when someone used dynamite in the middle of the night. Got tired of tangled lines, people exceeding their limit and general nonsense like we encounted here sometimes

Comment

Originally posted by Rambaseball View Post
                      Any of you Erie boys get out after any steelheads? I fish southcentral Pa in the limestoners. Hear the run has been awesome so far this year

Comment

I can give you a run down on the Ohio rivers. Western rivers need rain bad, but the last big rain did bring in some fish. The eastern tribs have had better earlier runs and are holding more fish. We are still way below normal flows and some rain would really help.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X