Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I was being sarcastic. They have more because they raise more. There's no rule saying the West gets more money than the East. They just do a better job of raising the money.

If the East schools want more money ... go get it. Find some whales. Get some big corporate money. It's not easy and takes some work ... but it obviously can be done.

Frank Cignetti did it so well the league had to implement a rule. Money does all the talking at this level. As I always say, D2 athletics has a worse disparity from top to bottom than MLB.
    Yes I am aware that they raise more too. FightingScott did a nice job of giving an explanation. My curiosity is how the west breaks up their money compared to the east. For instance if IUP has 30 scholarships, and ESU has 15, will IUP give their top 10 recruits most of the money, or break it up more evenly with all their recruits. So if John Doe was choosing between both schools, is IUPs average for a freshmen $8,000 vs ESU's $5,000?

That was my curiosity. Although it can vary depending on how bad a school wants a player.

Comment

• Originally posted by ESU Warrior View Post

Yes I am aware that they raise more too. FightingScott did a nice job of giving an explanation. My curiosity is how the west breaks up their money compared to the east. For instance if IUP has 30 scholarships, and ESU has 15, will IUP give their top 10 recruits most of the money, or break it up more evenly with all their recruits. So if John Doe was choosing between both schools, is IUPs average for a freshmen $8,000 vs ESU's $5,000?

That was my curiosity. Although it can vary depending on how bad a school wants a player.
      Only speaking for IUP ... all players are not created (or paid) equally.

I know with high school recruits the staff comes up with a market value for each player. And, that's what they offer. Take it or leave it. In the past they would get in to bidding wars. That's no longer the case with high school players. They got a few kids this year -- the two from Thomas Jefferson, in particular -- that I'm guessing required pretty large cuts. If freshmen perform their 'cut' increases as the years go by.

The transfer world is treated differently. If you want a Max Redfield or Quinton Maxwell ... they are 'full ride' guys -- or you have no chance of landing them. But, they are proven commodities and their market value is much different than the typical 'maybe' high school player.

Your topic is a very interesting dynamic on the basketball side of things -- it is why Joe Lombardi routinely has a star-studded team (when healthy). But, when the injuries mount to all his 'full ride' guys ... chaos can follow.

Comment

• We don't know for certain that they actually increased scholarship numbers. Unless there's a major donor (and in Clarion's case it would be an individual rather than corporate), I'm guessing they did one of the following:
        - Redistributed existing men's scholarship dollars to prioritize football similar to what Cal and IUP have done
        - Redistributed existing fee waivers like housing or meal plans to prioritize football
        - Strategically recruited players who after combining Pell and PHEAA grants plus academic scholarships the athletic aid significantly reduced their cost of attendance

PASSHE did increase the cap on what schools could budget for scholarship dollars via discounting (how 99% of scholarships at private schools are created). I believe this is where Kutztown's recent announcement of an additional $2 million in scholarships came from. Plus PASSHE also allowed schools to set different tuition amounts as they see fit. Can't go below a system-wide "base" but they can now do what Ohio and WV have been doing - reducing out of state tuition for certain populations.

Of course, the also-rans like Clarion and Edinboro can sometimes get guys for less money by with sooner playing time. The smaller division guys who play both ways each week jump at that.

Comment

• Originally posted by ESU Warrior View Post

I seriously doubt the scale works that way...Think about it. Is a university going to give an incoming freshman more money than a senior? Everything I've been told leads me to believe that you get more scholly $ as you progress through the program.

Comment

• Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

I seriously doubt the scale works that way...Think about it. Is a university going to give an incoming freshman more money than a senior? Everything I've been told leads me to believe that you get more scholly $ as you progress through the program.
            No.

Not all seniors deserve a lot of coin just for being seniors. The bit players are replaceable. Hate to say it that way but it's true.

If the incoming freshman is a star ... of course they would give him more than a senior special teams player.

Money is money. It's run as a business ... the business is winning.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

Full list as of this morning via Shepherd Twitter.

Comment

• You should also be happy with the signing of DL Steven Williams out of Quince Orchard HS. That young man had offers from Buffalo, Cincinnati, Toledo, Kent State, Sacred Heart, and Monmouth. Not sure why he signed with Shepherd, but it sounds a steal.

Comment

I was being sarcastic. They have more because they raise more. There's no rule saying the West gets more money than the East. They just do a better job of raising the money.

If the East schools want more money ... go get it. Find some whales. Get some big corporate money. It's not easy and takes some work ... but it obviously can be done.

Frank Cignetti did it so well the league had to implement a rule. Money does all the talking at this level. As I always say, D2 athletics has a worse disparity from top to bottom than MLB.
                  What rule was implemented because of Frank Cignetti?

Comment

No.

Not all seniors deserve a lot of coin just for being seniors. The bit players are replaceable. Hate to say it that way but it's true.

If the incoming freshman is a star ... of course they would give him more than a senior special teams player.

Money is money. It's run as a business ... the business is winning.
                    I was speaking in very general terms...As in generally speaking, Freshmen don't get the same amount of money as upperclassmen when it comes to scholarship players. I'd be willing to bet that generally speaking a special teams player isn't going to be getting alot of coin compared to a lineman or skill player, regardless of their class...

Comment

• Originally posted by ShoNuff View Post

What rule was implemented because of Frank Cignetti?
                      The IUP Rule.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

The IUP Rule.
                        What rule was implemented because of Al Golden?

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

The IUP Rule.
                          Okay....and the rule was.....?

Comment

• Originally posted by ShoNuff View Post

Okay....and the rule was.....?
                            https://archive.triblive.com/news/ps...gap-on-powers/

Comment

• That summed it up pretty well.

They basically put a salary cap of sorts in place so the Yankees couldn't be the Yankees anymore.

Frank realized early the key was money. He became the king of athletic fundraising. So, IUP was spending 4-5 times more than everybody else in the league on players .... and was killing everybody.

Dumbest thing the league ever did ... and that says a lot.

Of course it wasn't all for not. The money kept coming in and in the early 90s IUP started its run in men's basketball. The 94-95 team is considered by 'most' to be the best hoops team in school history.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

What rule was implemented because of Al Golden?
                                Never hire Al Golden again to lead a major program?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X