Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Never hire Al Golden again to lead a major program?
    Yes! AKA the Golden Rule.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShoNuff View Post

You should also be happy with the signing of DL Steven Williams out of Quince Orchard HS. That young man had offers from Buffalo, Cincinnati, Toledo, Kent State, Sacred Heart, and Monmouth. Not sure why he signed with Shepherd, but it sounds a steal.

Comment

I don't say this as sarcasm but where is the coin coming from? As a whole I was under the impression Clarion was in pretty bad shape.
        Not close enough to the specifics of it to speak to where the money Is coming from. They made an announcement at one of the games last fall, had a couple high level conversations about it but that's as far as it went. Huge boost for them, looks like their class totaled 37 covering 9 states with 9 mid year transfers and 28 high school seniors. Really solid across the board, the transfer guys add some serious size and speed to the roster. Big boost to have those guys on campus for spring drills, should be a very different looking team this fall.

Comment

• Originally posted by CUlater View Post

Not close enough to the specifics of it to speak to where the money Is coming from. They made an announcement at one of the games last fall, had a couple high level conversations about it but that's as far as it went. Huge boost for them, looks like their class totaled 37 covering 9 states with 9 mid year transfers and 28 high school seniors. Really solid across the board, the transfer guys add some serious size and speed to the roster. Big boost to have those guys on campus for spring drills, should be a very different looking team this fall.
          That's an impressive incoming class but it will take more than one class to turn around a program with a 4-7 average over the last 5 years. If they can come out of the the first four, @LINC, @MILL, @SHIP and GU, at 3-1 or better the next three, SRU, @IUP and CAL U, will be more hopeful. Finishing with @SHU, @MC, BORO and KUTZ looks like 6-5 or possibly 7-4 which would be a big step toward respectability. Good luck.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
            We don't know for certain that they actually increased scholarship numbers. Unless there's a major donor (and in Clarion's case it would be an individual rather than corporate), I'm guessing they did one of the following:
            - Redistributed existing men's scholarship dollars to prioritize football similar to what Cal and IUP have done
            In 2017-18, they gave out only 10.56 to football and 11.69 to all other men's sports, and almost half of the "other" money went to wrestling. So it's possible they redirected some of that to football, but it would be in the form of crumbs they gave baseball (0.18), golf (0.28) and swimming (1.08).
            http://www.indianagazette.com
            www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

• Thanks for the article. Wow...I can't believe this actually happened...

Comment

• Originally posted by ShoNuff View Post

Thanks for the article. Wow...I can't believe this actually happened...
                But it's been 10 years since this article and they haven't really gotten more competitive at the national level. If it were simply the number of schollies, Gannon and Mercyhurst would be dominant many years. Pennsylvania has more Division II football teams with 16 than any other state, and the pie gets divided a lot of ways. Most states have five Division II teams or fewer. New Jersey doesn't have a single Division II team. With a diminishing talent pool in Pa., I think the PSAC is going to have to cast a wider recruiting net to be successful. Some teams seem to be getting the picture.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

But it's been 10 years since this article and they haven't really gotten more competitive at the national level. If it were simply the number of schollies, Gannon and Mercyhurst would be dominant many years. Pennsylvania has more Division II football teams with 16 than any other state, and the pie gets divided a lot of ways. Most states have five Division II teams or fewer. New Jersey doesn't have a single Division II team. With a diminishing talent pool in Pa., I think the PSAC is going to have to cast a wider recruiting net to be successful. Some teams seem to be getting the picture.
                  What does that have to do with the IUP Rule?

Comment

• Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

I seriously doubt the scale works that way...Think about it. Is a university going to give an incoming freshman more money than a senior? Everything I've been told leads me to believe that you get more scholly $ as you progress through the program.
                    I believe each kid is different. If a current senior was offered $5,000 as a freshmen, there is a good chance that number is higher as a senior. Now if a freshmen came in and is only offered $500, that is a different story.

I do know from hearing kids talk back in the day there were incoming freshmen getting more than current seniors, mainly because those seniors got little money their first few years.

Comment

• Originally posted by ESU Warrior View Post

I believe each kid is different. If a current senior was offered $5,000 as a freshmen, there is a good chance that number is higher as a senior. Now if a freshmen came in and is only offered $500, that is a different story.

I do know from hearing kids talk back in the day there were incoming freshmen getting more than current seniors, mainly because those seniors got little money their first few years.
                      Add to it players aren't signed to multi-year deals. Scholarships are year to year. Just because you get money this year doesn't mean you are getting any next year (or you'll even be wanted on the team). That's the part of players 'transferring' you don't hear much about but it happens all the time. It's called a 'transfer' but the player has basically been cut or had his money pulled.

Comment

Add to it players aren't signed to multi-year deals. Scholarships are year to year. Just because you get money this year doesn't mean you are getting any next year (or you'll even be wanted on the team). That's the part of players 'transferring' you don't hear much about but it happens all the time. It's called a 'transfer' but the player has basically been cut or had his money pulled.
                        I agree and that's what I try to instill in young men heads when I'm helping them with narrowing down their college selection. At the D2 level scholarship funding varies year to year so a $2500 initial scholarship could very well be reduced the following year if the coaches feel as though you haven't progressed enough in your first year or if they get a transfer at that position. At least at the FBS level a scholarship is 1 full year of free tuition/room/board, as opposed to the D2 and FCS levels where it can range from $500 to a full ride depending on the funding at that school. It's also why you see kids transfer D2 to D2 and gain immediate eligibility even within conference as most of the players who leave have gotten PT and or scholarships reduced and the coaches look at it as if that's money left to disburse to a new recruit or to retain someone who needs extra $$.

Comment

What does that have to do with the IUP Rule?
                          The article basically said now that the self-imposed scholarship limit had been lifted it was expected that the PSAC would start competing for the national championship on a more regular basis. That hasn't happened. The conference's problem at present is not the IUP Rule.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

The article basically said now that the self-imposed scholarship limit had been lifted it was expected that the PSAC would start competing for the national championship on a more regular basis. That hasn't happened. The conference's problem at present is not the IUP Rule.
                            Well it wasn't eliminated to increase our competition level. It was eliminated to convince Gannon and Mercyhurst to join.

Comment

• Originally posted by ESU Warrior View Post

Its my understanding that its pretty common for partial scholarship offers to increase with playing time and that's explained with the offer. $2,500 now and more if/when they start.

Comment

• Edinboro gets a late commit from Alderdice WR/LB Nazir Darwin. 6-0 190. All City League at LB

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X