Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

Yeah, I suppose. Or maybe we are more sensitive to different things. Would you would throw him under the bus for what he said ? to prove what ? Do you really think he is a crypto - Nazi ?

I am sensitive to people judging someone on one statement - a bad, impulsive answer to a well known bad interview question, when I'd be willing to bet that he has also done alot of good things in his life, certainly if they are hiring him based on past achievements and behavior, I'd suppose he has something going for him.
    The bad thing is that he said it to the student newspaper. I don't know what sort of unofficial orientation he got when he started working on college campuses - I know one of the first things I was told was never talk to the student newspaper unless you're directed to.

Comment

At least the coach didn't major in Public Relations. Yikes!

Comment

Yeah, I suppose. Or maybe we are more sensitive to different things. Would you would throw him under the bus for what he said ? to prove what ? Do you really think he is a crypto - Nazi ?

I am sensitive to people judging someone on one statement - a bad, impulsive answer to a well known bad interview question, when I'd be willing to bet that he has also done a lot of good things in his life, certainly if they are hiring him based on past achievements and behavior, I'd suppose he has something going for him.
        Yes, I have to agree with that. We're in an era where one loose comment, one misstep causes everyone to clutch their pearls. I seriously doubt this guy was going to instruct his student-athletes in the ways of Adolf.

Comment

Originally posted by jrshooter View Post

Yes, I have to agree with that. We're in an era where one loose comment, one misstep causes everyone to clutch their pearls. I seriously doubt this guy was going to instruct his student-athletes in the ways of Adolf.
          I think the bigger issue is the negative publicity he has brought to his employer, GVSU.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

"very fine people on both sides"
            "typical white person"

Comment

I am sensitive to people judging someone on one statement - a bad, impulsive answer to a well known bad interview question, when I'd be willing to bet that he has also done alot of good things in his life, certainly if they are hiring him based on past achievements and behavior, I'd suppose he has something going for him.
              I agree with you. HOWEVER, some things you just can't take back. This is one such thing. Stupidity is only an excuse for so long. I'll assume he was perhaps trying to be cute with his answer.

This may just go away and after a week everybody moves along. We are the 'bus leagues' after all. A major D1 program ... this would be a different topic and would likely make SportsCenter, national news, etc.

Of course, if this dude ends up on Springer in 6 months we'll know there was more to it.

If they don't fire him ... I can only imagine the creativity some opposing fan bases will have with this in the future.

Comment

The bad thing is that he said it to the student newspaper. I don't know what sort of unofficial orientation he got when he started working on college campuses - I know one of the first things I was told was never talk to the student newspaper unless you're directed to.
                So he'd have been better off if he'd made his statement to a regular newspaper?

Comment

Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

So he'd have been better off if he'd made his statement to a regular newspaper?
                  No - but as I said - student newspapers are notorious for misquoting and for blowing up a story that makes the school look bad. Every university I've worked for there is an unwritten rule that you never, ever talk to the student newspaper unless directed to. Regardless, he's a freaking idiot. The fact that he has a history degree makes me lose even more respect for the man.

Comment

No - but as I said - student newspapers are notorious for misquoting and for blowing up a story that makes the school look bad. Every university I've worked for there is an unwritten rule that you never, ever talk to the student newspaper unless directed to. Regardless, he's a freaking idiot. The fact that he has a history degree makes me lose even more respect for the man.
                    Well, we all have to learn somewhere. Sounds as if he wasn't misquoted in this case. As someone who worked for 30-some years for newspapers, I can tell you that at least half the time people who claim they were misquoted woke up that morning and didn't like the way their statement looked in the newspaper. Much easier to blame the journalist, especially in today's atmosphere. That is not, of course, to say errors aren't made, and any responsible journalistic institution should correct those immediately.

Comment

Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Well, we all have to learn somewhere. Sounds as if he wasn't misquoted in this case. As someone who worked for 30-some years for newspapers, I can tell you that at least half the time people who claim they were misquoted woke up that morning and didn't like the way their statement looked in the newspaper. Much easier to blame the journalist, especially in today's atmosphere. That is not, of course, to say errors aren't made, and any responsible journalistic institution should correct those immediately.
                      Absolutely - I've done that myself. Anymore I only agree if I have the questions ahead of time.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

This may just go away and after a week everybody moves along. We are the 'bus leagues' after all. A major D1 program ... this would be a different topic and would likely make SportsCenter, national news, etc.
                        I think it was a national story. USA Today, the major networks, ESPN all have something about it. Google it.

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

I think it was a national story. USA Today, the major networks, ESPN all have something about it. Google it.

Comment

Absolutely - I've done that myself. Anymore I only agree if I have the questions ahead of time.
                            That's certainly fair as long as you make sure the interviewer has agreed to ask only those questions. I usually avoided interviews with preconditions unless they were ones I absolutely needed to have.

Comment

He'd have been better off talking to a commercial paper. The more seasoned interviewer would have allowed him a chance to clarify or retract his comment. A student is either too wrapped up in the next question to notice or not savvy enough to follow up

Comment

Originally posted by RockinTheSnackBar View Post

He'd have been better off talking to a commercial paper. The more seasoned interviewer would have allowed him a chance to clarify or retract his comment. A student is either too wrapped up in the next question to notice or not savvy enough to follow up
                                Or ... he could just not talk about Hitler to ANY member of the media.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X