Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PASSHE TUITION ASSISTANCE....

This sounds like an interesting and positive step, IF it can be passed...
    https://www.erienewsnow.com/story/41...stance-program

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
    This sounds like an interesting and positive step, IF it can be passed...
    https://www.erienewsnow.com/story/41...stance-program
    That's a no-brainer, IMO. Let's see. Put the funding towards PA residents getting educated and working in the state or the horse race industry? Hmmm?

I thought the horse race deal was a little suspect back when Rendell instituted it. But I understand propping up and/or saving a native industry. It's important. But I think the idea of those kinds of support is to enable the industry to eventually stand on it's own, not provide ongoing taxpayer support. Make no mistake, those horsey people in PA are powerful. I think Wolf's plan prevails in this case, though. I hope so.

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

That's a no-brainer, IMO. Let's see. Put the funding towards PA residents getting educated and working in the state or the horse race industry? Hmmm?

I thought the horse race deal was a little suspect back when Rendell instituted it. But I understand propping up and/or saving a native industry. It's important. But I think the idea of those kinds of support is to enable the industry to eventually stand on it's own, not provide ongoing taxpayer support. Make no mistake, those horsey people in PA are powerful. I think Wolf's plan prevails in this case, though. I hope so.
      The 'horsey' crowd is typically all millionaires ... with a lot of political influence and pull. It will be interesting.

Comment

Lobbyists' influence will be hard to overcome on this one, even though the state has already contributed more than $3 billion to the horse-racing industry over the years.

Comment

What will they do with all the unemployed when the private schools start closing?

Comment

Originally posted by Sec10-A-14 View Post
            What will they do with all the unemployed when the private schools start closing?
            I'm not sure what that has to do with possible scholarships for state schools.

Comment

Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

I'm not sure what that has to do with possible scholarships for state schools.
              More students will choose PASSHE over the private schools. There is a huge demographic loss of students coming in 2027, alot of schools will not survive that. The State by underfunding PASSHE for the last 10-15 years has essentially propped up the private schools. If this passes it will switch that preference just when things need to be downsized.

Comment

Who is creating jobs in Pennsylvania for these Scholarship recipients so the scholarships don't turn into loans with who knows what kind of payments terms and interest rates? Sounds like a good way for the "State" to generate revenue when a large percentage of these kids can't find jobs in PA and move out of the "State" for employment. Buyer be ware, Caveat emptor boys and girls.

Comment

Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

More students will choose PASSHE over the private schools. There is a huge demographic loss of students coming in 2027, alot of schools will not survive that. The State by underfunding PASSHE for the last 10-15 years has essentially propped up the private schools. If this passes it will switch that preference just when things need to be downsized.
                  The private schools will falter. With the exception of the true elites like Penn and Carnegie Mellon, the privates drove enrollment by artificially inflating their sticker price then steeply discounting to make the financial aid package look more attractive. Average discount rate is now over 50%. That's not sustainable.

Comment

Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

That depends on if they actually come up with a program that makes a significant difference for a sizable number of students.

Comment

Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

That depends on if they actually come up with a program that makes a significant difference for a sizable number of students.
                      Latest article I wrote found bipartisan support for the program - but legislators didn't like the source of the funds. Can't raid that precious horse racing money.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Latest article I wrote found bipartisan support for the program - but legislators didn't like the source of the funds. Can't raid that precious horse racing money.

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

C. None of the above

Comment

Let's see horses or educating our young people and keeping them in state to pay state taxes rather than them seeking employment in neighboring states like Delaware, NY, NJ, Maryland, WV and Ohio??? This should be a no brainer but then again we did flip and vote in Trump so anything is possible lol.

Comment

Originally posted by shipfbfan1 View Post
                              Let's see horses or educating our young people and keeping them in state to pay state taxes rather than them seeking employment in neighboring states like Delaware, NY, NJ, Maryland, WV and Ohio??? This should be a no brainer but then again we did flip and vote in Trump so anything is possible lol.
                              C. None of the above

What if they remain in the state but are unable to find a job utilizing their philosophy or women and gender studies degree?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X