Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2019 Out of Conference Thread

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post
    That's a solid opener. I think it's positive for D2 football to have teams playing on opening weekend, not sitting idle.

Comment

Any word if IUP did a home-and-home or is this a one-and-done?

Comment

So much for the cupcake theory for the first game. New Haven is a good first game - not a national contender but no cupcake either. In door should be starting soon. Pitter Patter time to get at er.

Comment

From a Slippery Rock perspective, I'm intrigued by our opener (Thursday, Sept. 5) at Wayne State. In 2011, the Warriors appeared in the national championship game. Since then, it's been a mixed bag. In the last seven seasons, they have a cumulative record of 35-41; the low point was last year's 2-9 campaign.

If you look closer, they weren't always blown off the field in those losses: OT loss to Saginaw; 14-point L to Tiffin; 10-point L to Northern Michigan in which they blew a fourth-quarter lead; 3-point loss to Michigan Tech. Sure, those teams weren't necessarily world-beaters last year, but Wayne State actually held a second-half lead against Ferris State before losing by 10. To me, that stands out.

What does it all mean? Probably not much. But it's interesting to look at. And remember last year, Kentucky State had us on the ropes in the opener. We were fortunate to win that one. Hopefully we're a little better prepared this season for what should be a tougher opponent.

Comment

New Haven at IUP the first week of September. That's great. That's an exciting opener.

Comment

Originally posted by SRU 88 View Post
              ROCK 59 New Haven 20 and it wasn't that close

New Haven had a ton of seniors, their QB was there for 6 years. New Haven will be retooling as well.
              If my research is accurate, I have the following:

New Haven graduates 21 seniors to include 11 starters on offense (5), defense (5) and special team (1-placekicker)
              IUP graduates 17 seniors to include 8 starters on offense(3)/defense(4), special teams (1-punter)

Comment

Originally posted by ShoNuff View Post
                If my research is accurate, I have the following:

New Haven graduates 21 seniors to include 11 starters on offense (5), defense (5) and special team (1-placekicker)
                IUP graduates 17 seniors to include 8 starters on offense(3)/defense(4), special teams (1-punter)
                A regrouping team vs a retooling team. Still a good game. New Haven graduated their entire starting offense, oy vey. They better be pitter pattering extra hard up their in New Heaven to get ready for the opener.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPMonk View Post
                  A regrouping team vs a retooling team. Still a good game. New Haven graduated their entire starting offense, oy vey. They better be pitter pattering extra hard up their in New Heaven to get ready for the opener.
                  I think it's two formidable, committed programs. Both are capable of "reloading". Can't begin to predict how it will play out. I think it's a game to look forward to. It's a good move for both schools to schedule this.

It's the same pattern for IUP, though. A big out of conference game followed by Millersville and Lock Haven. One game like that is good but with two it can get you out of sync, although I look for Ville and the Haven to be improved this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Dozsa2 View Post
                    From a Slippery Rock perspective, I'm intrigued by our opener (Thursday, Sept. 5) at Wayne State. In 2011, the Warriors appeared in the national championship game. Since then, it's been a mixed bag. In the last seven seasons, they have a cumulative record of 35-41; the low point was last year's 2-9 campaign.

If you look closer, they weren't always blown off the field in those losses: OT loss to Saginaw; 14-point L to Tiffin; 10-point L to Northern Michigan in which they blew a fourth-quarter lead; 3-point loss to Michigan Tech. Sure, those teams weren't necessarily world-beaters last year, but Wayne State actually held a second-half lead against Ferris State before losing by 10. To me, that stands out.

What does it all mean? Probably not much. But it's interesting to look at. And remember last year, Kentucky State had us on the ropes in the opener. We were fortunate to win that one. Hopefully we're a little better prepared this season for what should be a tougher opponent.

Shows you the strength of that conference. Both quality opponents for Rock and IUP. Rock has a solid defense returning. Piece together a few guys on offense and they'll be back. Work hard stay healthy

Comment

Originally posted by RockNation View Post
                      Shows you the strength of that conference. Both quality opponents for Rock and IUP. Rock has a solid defense returning. Piece together a few guys on offense and they'll be back. Work hard stay healthy
                      With all due respect, while I agree that you take EVERY opponent serious I just can't call Wayne State a quality opponent. Since their 2011 D-II National Championship Game their final record were the following:

2012: 5-5
                      2013: 3-8
                      2014: 7-4
                      2015: 6-5
                      2016: 7-4
                      2017: 5-6
                      2018: 2-9

But I am sure The Rock will still take them serious....quality opponent or not.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Comment

As long as have money that can be fixed real quick.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoNuff View Post
                            With all due respect, while I agree that you take EVERY opponent serious I just can't call Wayne State a quality opponent. Since their 2011 D-II National Championship Game their final record were the following:

2012: 5-5
                            2013: 3-8
                            2014: 7-4
                            2015: 6-5
                            2016: 7-4
                            2017: 5-6
                            2018: 2-9

But I am sure The Rock will still take them serious....quality opponent or not.
                            I hope we do. But if we come out and fall behind 28-7 like we did against Kentucky State, I don't know that we get out of Detroit with a win. One of the things Coach Mihalik was great at was motivation in camp. Three of my years on the team, we had openers at Eastern Kentucky and Youngstown State (2). By the end of camp, I believed we would win those games. We did not.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                              As long as have money that can be fixed real quick.

Comment

Clarion at Shippensburg on Sept. 7. Also, Mercyhurst will host Lake Erie to open the season.
                                Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X