• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Horror Child View Post

How many Americans die annually from influenza? 34,200 in 2018
    What percentage of Americans get vaccinated for influenza? 37% in 2018

Puts COVID-19 issue into perspective.

We should have learned how to handle this after the H1N1 outbreak was so mishandled.
    Seriously, when I see people citing these large numbers for the flu versus the relatively small numbers of the coronavirus it doesn't give me a lot of comfort. If you take a closer look at those numbers it shows that about 1 out of 1,000 people who get the flu actually die from it (and the truth is a lot of those people have other ailments and the flu just pushes them over the brink). Currently, in the U.S. about 1 out of 20 people diagnosed with coronavirus have died. That is not good.

Add on the fact that there is no vaccine for it and nobody in the world knows how to control it besides "social distancing" and "washing your hands" I believe there is reason for concern. And, apparently, the worst is yet to come.

I am currently working on the development of some focus group projects (they are on the west coast) and our client is considering canceling them. Not only is there the realization that it could spread the virus it could also become a liability issue.

I'm usually not a paranoid kind of person but I think there is great reason for concern. That said, I am still quite surprised what WCU took the move they did when no other schools in PA have done so.
    Last edited by iupgroundhog; 03-10-2020, 12:11 PM.

Comment

https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/20...vid19-concers/

Not quite sure what this means for the athletics' department yet...

Comment

Originally posted by Wcball00 View Post
        https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/20...vid19-concers/

Not quite sure what this means for the athletics' department yet...
        What I do know is that the dorms, on-campus housing, and cafeterias are all closed for the remainder of the semester... Does this mean spring sports are cancelled? I guess we will see.

Comment

Bloom has extended spring break to 2 weeks. Professors will be working on sharpening on-line classes in case they go that way. Travel and campus activity has been restricted, except for athletics.

Bucknell has gone completely on-line for the rest of the semester. Students have been asked to leave campus.

Comment

Ohio govenor has stated all sporting events in Ohio should be played with no fans in the stands.

Comment

Comment

1 case in Philadelphia, but Penn is preparing to move classes on-line.
                Princeton has 2 faculty on self-quarantine, and asked students to stay home to take on-line classes.
                Rutgers, Rowan, and Monmouth on extended breaks.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                  Ohio govenor has stated all sporting events in Ohio should be played with no fans in the stands.
                  With teams like the Browns and Bengals in the Buckeye state this is probably a pretty good idea. Merciful even.

-

Comment

Now it finally impacts fall sports. No out of season practices are to be held on or off campus.

Comment

Originally posted by Horror Child View Post

How many Americans die annually from influenza? 34,200 in 2018
                      What percentage of Americans get vaccinated for influenza? 37% in 2018

Puts COVID-19 issue into perspective.

We should have learned how to handle this after the H1N1 outbreak was so mishandled.
                      We have some people who don't want to be vaccinated against anything. Given the inept handling of this outbreak, we'd better hope none of these viruses ever mutate into something more lethal. This one is nothing to fool around with, and it's just getting started in the U.S. Hospitals in northern Italy are getting slammed, and they've had more than 600 deaths in about 10,000 recorded cases, which is a high mortality rate.

Comment

Wow that really puts WCU behind the 8 ball come fall ball when they're trying to decide who will be the starting QB. In the grand scheme of things safety trumps all else but the numbers I've seen suggest that its moreso the eldery at risk for serious complications rather than college students. With WCU already on spring break how are kids supposed to get their items out of their dorms and do parents get refunds on unused meal plans and the last 2 months of paying for that expensive dormitory?

Comment

As of now the Regionals are going on as scheduled at IUP.

Some in D1 have cancelled and others will play with no crowd permitted in the building.

Comment

Originally posted by shipfbfan1 View Post
                            Wow that really puts WCU behind the 8 ball come fall ball when they're trying to decide who will be the starting QB. In the grand scheme of things safety trumps all else but the numbers I've seen suggest that its moreso the eldery at risk for serious complications rather than college students. With WCU already on spring break how are kids supposed to get their items out of their dorms and do parents get refunds on unused meal plans and the last 2 months of paying for that expensive dormitory?
                            I think the scenario would be the college students contract it and pass it on to more at-risk populations.

At this point I can't criticize any precautions. The fact of the matter is that it's out of hand and our lives are about to change in ways none of us have ever seen.

Italy is completely shut down and today Angela Merkel said that 60-70% of the German population will contract the virus. Not "may", but "will."

Deciding on a starting QB and getting items out of dorms are not the concerns right now.

Hopefully, we can get it under control. I actually hate to type this but the virus could lead to millions of deaths. It could literally lead us into a worldwide economic depression. If anybody thinks these are exaggerations they should read up on it more.

Keep your fingers crossed and wash your hands.

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

I think the scenario would be the college students contract it and pass it on to more at-risk populations.

At this point I can't criticize any precautions. The fact of the matter is that it's out of hand and our lives are about to change in ways none of us have ever seen.

Italy is completely shut down and today Angela Merkel said that 60-70% of the German population will contract the virus. Not "may", but "will."

Deciding on a starting QB and getting items out of dorms are not the concerns right now.

Hopefully, we can get it under control. I actually hate to type this but the virus could lead to millions of deaths. It could literally lead us into a worldwide economic depression. If anybody thinks these are exaggerations they should read up on it more.

Keep your fingers crossed and wash your hands.
                              Well said. I'm honestly quite surprised that the university is taking all these precautions going virtual and closing dorms, yet making numerous exceptions for athletics and allowing athletics to bring people from outside onto the campus. Again, I think there's still a lot more to come.

If there were ever a good time to invest in an online communications app (Zoom etc), now might be the time...

Comment

ship has extended its spring break a week.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X