Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: Slippery Rock Bringing Back Wrestling?

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rambaseball View Post
    Wrestling was a big time sport in my high school. What kind of attendance to they get? Prior to Covid-19 of course....
    Link below for college wrestling attendance. Last year LHU ranked 12th in the NCAA with ~2,000 per home dual meet. Penn State averaged 7700.

I'd guess the other D1 PSAC schools average several hundred to 1,000 - mid to high 3 digits.

College wrestling is also very much tournament-based throughout the season where you might have contingents from 16-24 schools.

https://news.theopenmat.com/college-...9-season/72721

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

No. They wouldn't beat LHU. In an injury-riddled season LH finished 5th out of 15 teams at last weekend's MAC championships.

UPJ is ranked 3rd in D2. I am pretty sure they'd beat Bloom who is one executive decision away from D2.

Against Clarion and 'Boro it would be competitive and probably come down to individual matchups. I'd bet on Clarion to prevail over UPJ and UPJ over Edinboro (although Edinboro is coming back strong after the Baumgartner saga and will be a top 30 D1 program in the next couple years.).

Against strong D1 teams UPJ gets wiped out. It's like asking if SRU could beat Pitt in football in 2019.

This was the first season the D1 programs did not compete in the PSAC tournament since the D2's banded together and ousted the D1's due to the competitive imbalance.

Edit: I just took a quick look at Edinboro's results from 2019-20 and I'm pretty sure the Scots would beat UPJ head-to-head.
      You are sure UPJ would beat Bloom, and bet Clarion would beat UPJ. Yet Clarion beat Bloom by 1 point this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Bart View Post

You are sure UPJ would beat Bloom, and bet Clarion would beat UPJ. Yet Clarion beat Bloom by 1 point this year.
        I'm really not sure. I was just answering the question. What do you think?

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

I'm really not sure. I was just answering the question. What do you think?
          It could go either way. Bloom has 2 NCAA qualifiers this year, but it is too bad the NCAA cancelled the tournament. They have a solid group of young lightweights, and need to fill the upper weights, since 4 were seniors. They are 2 good recruiting classes away from a competitive team.

Comment

Just out of curiosity: when did IUP drop wrestling? Thank you in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by Tdobson View Post
              Just out of curiosity: when did IUP drop wrestling? Thank you in advance.
              30 years ago ... maybe longer?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
              Working...
              X