Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: Slippery Rock Bringing Back Wrestling?

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rambaseball
    replied
    How many D1 wrestling programs are there in the conference?

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    Incidentally, in 2006 when they dropped wrestling they dropped 7 other sports at the same time.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    According to wrestling writer Jason Bryant:

https://twitter.com/jasonmbryant/sta...15584033394689

BUT...I have to think long term this hurts Rock football. I have nothing against wrestling but its very clear that Edinboro's bump to D1 wrestling coincides with the start of Edinboro's drop on the football side. Just doesn't work well with Title IX.
    Where do I donate?

Anything to weaken their foosball program...

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
    I think they would go D2 but you never know. They could be the 16th team in the MAC. I don't even know whether they would qualify for D1 as the clause is currently written; however, if they wanted to go D1 I'm sure it could be worked out. The concept is that women's wrestling will eventually offset in terms of Title IX, provided they can get the numbers in the women's program. SRU should never have dropped wrestling in the first place (IMHO).

Seems like there are some contingencies, namely $5M.
    That's not exactly chump change -- and in a short time period.

Who knows. Perhaps they have a legit whale lined up.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    I think they would go D2 but you never know. They could be the 16th team in the MAC. I don't even know whether they would qualify for D1 as the clause is currently written; however, if they wanted to go D1 I'm sure it could be worked out. The concept is that women's wrestling will eventually offset in terms of Title IX, provided they can get the numbers in the women's program. SRU should never have dropped wrestling in the first place (IMHO).

Seems like there are some contingencies, namely $5M.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    started a topic OT: Slippery Rock Bringing Back Wrestling?

OT: Slippery Rock Bringing Back Wrestling?

According to wrestling writer Jason Bryant:

Slippery Rock has committed to restarting its men's wrestling team & adding a women's wrestling team contingent upon raising $5M by June 2021. The alumni group leading this charge will have more info publicly available in the next week or two. SRU dropped wrestling in '06.
    https://twitter.com/jasonmbryant/sta...15584033394689

BUT...I have to think long term this hurts Rock football. I have nothing against wrestling but its very clear that Edinboro's bump to D1 wrestling coincides with the start of Edinboro's drop on the football side. Just doesn't work well with Title IX.

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X