Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUP Football 2019

Okay, now that we have stepped into the new calendar year it is time to start hashing out the 2019 IUP football season. But before we do that in full measure----let's have our esteemed football roundtable dole out some grades for the 2018 IUP season. Feel free to use the traditional grades of A-F or you may use the more simplistic pass/fail.

Here are the areas that we need graded: Please feel free to offer comment to further explain your grade for each area.

-Coaching

-Quarterbacks

-Running Backs

-Wide Receivers/ Tight Ends

-Offensive Line

-Defensive Line

-Linebackers

-Defensive Backs

-Special Teams

-Media Coverage (print, broadcast teams, etc.)

-Recruiting of the past few years

-

Re: IUP Football 2019

Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
    Okay, now that we have stepped into the new calendar year it is time to start hashing out the 2019 IUP football season. But before we do that in full measure----let's have our esteemed football roundtable dole out some grades for the 2018 IUP season. Feel free to use the traditional grades of A-F or you may use the more simplistic pass/fail.

Here are the areas that we need graded: Please feel free to offer comment to further explain your grade for each area.

-Coaching

-Quarterbacks

-Running Backs

-Wide Receivers/ Tight Ends

-Offensive Line

-Defensive Line

-Linebackers

-Defensive Backs

-Special Teams

-Media Coverage (print, broadcast teams, etc.)

-Recruiting of the past few years

-

Looking back is a bad Idea. For this spring we need to find out

Who's coming back and who is not - hopefully the coaches got a handle on their teams academics.
    QB - Davis v Wilkerson. or a summer transfer. no news on significant spring transfers
    There is a good nucleus for the O-line, will they gel this year or will they fall apart again ?
    Last years recruiting class was pretty good. Lets see how this years works out.
    Will the Freshman in the D-line who seemed to come on during the end of the season return and improve ?
    How will the offense change without Lenny.

Comment

Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post
      Looking back is a bad Idea. For this spring we need to find out

Who's coming back and who is not - hopefully the coaches got a handle on their teams academics.
      QB - Davis v Wilkerson. or a summer transfer. no news on significant spring transfers
      There is a good nucleus for the O-line, will they gel this year or will they fall apart again ?
      Last years recruiting class was pretty good. Lets see how this years works out.
      Will the Freshman in the D-line who seemed to come on during the end of the season return and improve ?
      How will the offense change without Lenny.

They'll always have as much talent as most other top teams.

They need two main things:

1) Tutors
      2) Sports psychologist

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
        They'll always have as much talent as most other top teams.

They need two main things:

1) Tutors
        2) Sports psychologist
        Well, those two things have to fall within the parameters of the job description of the coaching staff. Whether they like it or not----they have to deal with this stuff. No one else will do it for them. That's just the bottom line here.

And that leads me into my first grade.

I'll go pass/fail/even for my marks.

Coaching. Fail. The coaching staff failed to ever truly corral this team in after a fantastic first season in 2017. Way too many cases of academic problems and seeming team dysfunction was way too evident this past season. Not a good season for them.

Quarterbacks. Fail. Certainly not the year envisioned for a fab three-year starter.

Running Backs. Fail. Once considered a loaded stable of fast horses all but vanished with bad academics and injuries. It was sad to see.

Wide Receivers/Tight Ends. Even. Not the unit they were in 2017. Not bad but not great either.

Offensive Line- Fail. What was supposed to be a strong unit never got on track and had what could only be considered a disappointing season.

Media Coverage- Pass. Overall very high quality once more. I don't even mind the student broadcasters on the webcast some of you have such issues with. I think everyone did fine. Jack still going as good as ever on the airwaves and Matt's writing is fine.

Maybe I'll think some more about the defense. Recruiting-wise----I think the jury is still out on that for me.

-

Comment

I'll always think something big happened off the field in the weeks after the win at Ashland.

The team that won in Ohio vanished by October. I mean, poof. Gone.

They played Ashland and then Cream Puff City State College the next several weeks. Who knows.

I think they read too many polls and articles, too. The sideline became a better weekly show than any game. Out of control.

Funny to think despite it all they were the infamous Pick 6 at Adamson and holding a 4th and 7 against Rock from ... well, who knows.

Doesn't much matter now.

Comment

Run Defense: F (for a team favored to win the PSAC)

Comment

I'll always think something big happened off the field in the weeks after the win at Ashland.

They played Ashland and then Cream Puff City State College the next several weeks. Who knows.

I think they read too many polls and articles, too. The sideline became a better weekly show than any game. Out of control.

Funny to think despite it all they were the infamous Pick 6 at Adamson and holding a 4th and 7 against Rock from ... well, who knows.

Doesn't much matter now.

Comment

Doesn't much matter now.
                But Ashland wasn't as good as the year before either.

I think it came down to leadership. Last year's team had it and this year's didn't.

I think Tort's had a sophomore jinx of a season.

It was a sucky year for the PSAC and they should have cake walked it but they didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post
                  But Ashland wasn't as good as the year before either.

I think it came down to leadership. Last year's team had it and this year's didn't.

I think Tort's had a sophomore jinx of a season.

It was a sucky year for the PSAC and they should have cake walked it but they didn't.
                  Remember, after the IUP game Ashland's starting QB did not play the next 6 1/2 games, to include a 28-21 road loss to Ferris State. If the QB did not get in any trouble who knows what type of team they would have developed into. That was a good win by IUP.

Comment

Whatever it was it wasn't managed. That's my concern.

Comment

Originally posted by EdinboroFB View Post
                      Run Defense: F (for a team favored to win the PSAC)
                      Good observation! And never was it more apparent in the home loss to Rock when late in the game IUP gave up an 85-90 yard drive with much of it being gashed out on the ground. Enough said of that unit. Fail.

I think that we all can agree that the season was a failure. And likely the IronmanIUP was right to say that it is not good to look back. Perhaps I should not have started our 2019 IUP Football thread in this fashion. But at least it shows the coaches and team that nobody was particularly happy about the season. I'm sure they were not either. On to better things in the new year. Cheers!

-

Comment

Strange group. It took Clarion knocking them to the mat twice before they responded. Same with SRU.

Sometimes it's as simple as bad apples. By the Ship game finale they couldn't have given two Shiz. And, they looked like shiz ... and embarrassed themselves.

Comment

Strange group. It took Clarion knocking them to the mat twice before they responded. Same with SRU.

Sometimes it's as simple as bad apples. By the Ship game finale they couldn't have given two Shiz. And, they looked like shiz ... and embarrassed themselves.
                          I think that you are onto something here. I know that the teams that I played on in high school were not a solidified happy bunch with guys being good to one another and coming together for a common cause. Most of the guys that I have talked to who have played on championship caliber teams pretty much all say the same thing-----they loved the guys they played with. They were friends and treated one another with respect. There needs to be some sort of bond that links the players together on a team.

I still recall what former Bengals coach Sam Wyche did coming off a 4-11 season in 1987. When his players reported to camp the next year----he changed the normal culture of who roomed with who. It was no longer just your buddy you knew. Guys got paired up with players they did not know. The result was a Super Bowl season. Who knows, maybe something like this would help? Or maybe you would literally be having guys trying to kill one another as evidenced by what folks reported on the sideline last year.

-

Comment

IUP has offered QB Luke Thomas from Indiana High.

Comment

A few more IUP offers have surfaced:

* Kiski Area LB Drew Dinunzio-Biss ---> highly under the radar player. Two more inches taller and this wouldn't be an option. Tackling machine.

* Avon Grove WR Tyre Stead

* Norwin RB/LB Ezekiel Houser

* La Salle College High WR Luke Hardy

* QB Kyle Sheets (also has Rock offer)

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X