Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

And we obviously dig field hockey at Ship, having won the last three Division II titles.
    And you've been the team to eliminate us each time. Good thing we have 2015 or I'd be real resentful.

Comment

• Originally posted by jrshooter View Post
      I was a little disappointed that Houser was on the participation list, yet got no carries. I hope they don't burn his redshirt on special teams alone.
      Mixed feelings on your comment. He's here. He's ready to play. Special Teams have cost IUP some games in the recent past. You need the best available athletes you can put out there on those teams. By 'available' obviously I mean those available after your stars ... you aren't putting Samir Bullock on the kick cover team.

I also have major trust issues with all freshmen ... will they even be here next season let alone three years from now? Transferring is out of control. I'm also quite confident he's going to be getting carries soon -- likely they want to see him in a live game against Millersville and Lock Haven prior to giving him reps against New Haven, Cal or SRU. Add to it RBs are hurt constantly. His time is coming. But, ... it is a crowded backfield for sure. He has to earn those meaningful carries. If he doesn't then, yes, it could likely be a year spent in mop-up time.

Of note, when IUP needed a power run at the goal line they went to Duane Brown (WR) instead of Houser. Now, that was a huge moment in the game so the staff very likely had much more confidence in Brown in that moment.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Mixed feelings on your comment. He's here. He's ready to play. Special Teams have cost IUP some games in the recent past. You need the best available athletes you can put out there on those teams. By 'available' obviously I mean those available after your stars ... you aren't putting Samir Bullock on the kick cover team.

I also have major trust issues with all freshmen ... will they even be here next season let alone three years from now? Transferring is out of control. I'm also quite confident he's going to be getting carries soon -- likely they want to see him in a live game against Millersville and Lock Haven prior to giving him reps against New Haven, Cal or SRU. Add to it RBs are hurt constantly. His time is coming. But, ... it is a crowded backfield for sure. He has to earn those meaningful carries. If he doesn't then, yes, it could likely be a year spent in mop-up time.

Of note, when IUP needed a power run at the goal line they went to Duane Brown (WR) instead of Houser. Now, that was a huge moment in the game so the staff very likely had much more confidence in Brown in that moment.
        The next couple of games Houser probably will get more touches in the backfield. But Coach Tort stated he is ready to play now, so I am not too upset that he played. I am hoping he can take over the short-yardage role so Brown can concentrate on being a WR.

Comment

• IUP got a little Twitter love from local celebrity Bob Pompeani.

The Pittsburgh media typically doesn't acknowledge that D2 sports exist ... so, take what you can get.

Comment

• Does anyone know if and where last week's game vs New Haven is posted for streaming re-watch? I have been looking on youtube, IUP Twitter, and IUP Faceboook with no luck. Thanks.

Comment

IUP got a little Twitter love from local celebrity Bob Pompeani.

The Pittsburgh media typically doesn't acknowledge that D2 sports exist ... so, take what you can get.
              What did he say (tweet)?

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPMonk View Post
                Does anyone know if and where last week's game vs New Haven is posted for streaming re-watch? I have been looking on youtube, IUP Twitter, and IUP Faceboook with no luck. Thanks.

Go to the PSAC home page. Click on Digital Network. Clink 'On Demand' and enter the date.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

What did he say (tweet)?

"Congrats to the IUP Crimson Hawks for landing in the National rankings this week. Their 24-13 victory over New Haven has them checking in at No. 24 in the American Football Coaches Association (AFCA) Division II Coaches Poll."

- @KDPOMP

Again, ... not much but he's the 'dean' of the Pittsburgh media at this point.

Comment

Go to the PSAC home page. Click on Digital Network. Clink 'On Demand' and enter the date.
                    Thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

And we obviously dig field hockey at Ship, having won the last three Division II titles.
                      My Mother coached college field hockey & man you didn't mess with those girls!

Looks like a great program you got going at Ship.

Comment

• Watched the IUP vs New Haven. I thought they played well vs a team that's most think is an above average D2 team. The defense looked good. Maxwell looks like a proper modern day QB, big body, strong arm with good accuracy, and makes good "time to tuck it and run decisions". He's going to have to resist the urge of throwing into coverage which is a bit of concern since bad habits are hard to break. The offense's strength is still grounded in the run game, but with a just enough passing beyond the slants to make the "pass more" crowed happy. O-line is really good on the run and the short to intermediate passing. I would like to see them improve their blocking on the the long route to give Maxwell a second or two more time. I like that TE #12, big body, hope they continue to use him. And I agree with others who have said Brown is playing a level above every one trying to tackle and or cover him.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPMonk View Post
                          Watched the IUP vs New Haven. I thought they played well vs a team that's most think is an above average D2 team. The defense looked good. Maxwell looks like a proper modern day QB, big body, strong arm with good accuracy, and makes good "time to tuck it and run decisions". He's going to have to resist the urge of throwing into coverage which is a bit of concern since bad habits are hard to break. The offense's strength is still grounded in the run game, but with a just enough passing beyond the slants to make the "pass more" crowed happy. O-line is really good on the run and the short to intermediate passing. I would like to see them improve their blocking on the the long route to give Maxwell a second or two more time. I like that TE #12, big body, hope they continue to use him. And I agree with others who have said Brown is playing a level above every one trying to tackle and or cover him.
                          I might be the only one here that was not impressed with Maxwell. The first TD drive he was lights out but for most of the game after that I was missing Lenny. At least 2 of the picks were careless throws into coverage, the one at the scoreboard end was particularly horrible, 4-5 defenders around 1 IUP receiver. I guess I expected more from the kid and hopefully he fine tunes things the next couple weeks before the 5hit gets real in October, he will be counted on heavily. They need to figure out a way to get the ball in the hands of D. Brown .....5 touches are not enough.....obviously.

Defensively I thought they looked pretty good overall, made some splash plays that brought back memories of a couple years ago. The biggest concern I saw from week one is the way NH was able to get outside containment. In this defense it's vital the ends set the edge but they did a poor job most of the day.

It was a quality win at home in a good atmosphere. Not sure how much will be learned about this team the next couple of weeks but hopefully they come out of it healthy. jus sayin

Comment

• Originally posted by BallHawkin View Post

I might be the only one here that was not impressed with Maxwell. The first TD drive he was lights out but for most of the game after that I was missing Lenny. At least 2 of the picks were careless throws into coverage, the one at the scoreboard end was particularly horrible, 4-5 defenders around 1 IUP receiver. I guess I expected more from the kid and hopefully he fine tunes things the next couple weeks before the 5hit gets real in October, he will be counted on heavily. They need to figure out a way to get the ball in the hands of D. Brown .....5 touches are not enough.....obviously.

Defensively I thought they looked pretty good overall, made some splash plays that brought back memories of a couple years ago. The biggest concern I saw from week one is the way NH was able to get outside containment. In this defense it's vital the ends set the edge but they did a poor job most of the day.

It was a quality win at home in a good atmosphere. Not sure how much will be learned about this team the next couple of weeks but hopefully they come out of it healthy. jus sayin

I think Maxwell will look much better tomorrow -- and not just because of the opponent. Remember, he really hasn't played much live football the past two years. Practice is one thing but until the lights come on it's not the same.

Ideally he'll only play a half tomorrow. It's pretty important to get Jalen Reese some real snaps in these next two weeks. You don't want his first snap all year to come against Cal or something should Maxwell go down.

I'm not expecting much of a game tomorrow unless IUP is half asleep and takes the game too lightly. They played the starters most of the first half last year in a total mismatch. I assume Millersville will be a little better and probably pretty 'up' for this game. Start fast and put 'em to bed.

Comment

• Comment

• Don't take the bait!!!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X