Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post

That's really quite shocking to be honest. Back when I was an undergrad/grad student in the 1990s/early 2000s I know that it was consistently 14,000 and I believe that it did actually cross 15,000 a time or two. That is quite a drop there.

-
    I blame Millennials...They don't want to do anything! Now, GET OFF MY LAWN!!! :laugh: ;-)

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post

That's really quite shocking to be honest. Back when I was an undergrad/grad student in the 1990s/early 2000s I know that it was consistently 14,000 and I believe that it did actually cross 15,000 a time or two. That is quite a drop there.

-
      The 14,000+ number happened as recently as 2011 - so that is a 30% drop 8 years. Luckily IUP upgraded alot of dorms back in the Atwater days, or it would be worse. I'm sure somewhere, someone is pointing out that the enrollment drop started right after Atwater left. Also, keep in mind that the IUP tuition is a bit higher than some other PASSHE schools because of the per credit tuition model - that's on Driscoll. The other problem is that the Faculty have not dropped by 30% in that time - so budgets are all fubar -thankfully fund raising has been really good.

Comment

• It is a shocking drop. Back in 1980 when I was an undergrad it was 12,500 and it was capped at 12,500. At that time most of the other PSAC schools were in the 4-6000 range. The U.S. population was 226 million and next year's census will be about 330 million.

Driscoll does not seem too concerned about it, at least publicly. He's focused on the new science facility, which they call STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and Mathematics). That could be a game changer for IUP because nobody will have anything like it. Driscoll also says next year IUP will move up to a class 2 Carnegie research institution.

There is a lot going on at IUP but they need to find a way to stem (no pun intended) the enrollment decline.

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Its surely a factor but its also immeasurable. The measurable factors are that the cost of attendance has gotten too close to schools with more cache and that western PA has a significantly lower number of 17 years olds. IUP has also lost the SEPA market to West Chester, Bloomsburg, and Millersville.
            Last edited by IUPNation; 10-04-2019, 11:14 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
              It is a shocking drop. Back in 1980 when I was an undergrad it was 12,500 and it was capped at 12,500. At that time most of the other PSAC schools were in the 4-6000 range. The U.S. population was 226 million and next year's census will be about 330 million.

Driscoll does not seem too concerned about it, at least publicly. He's focused on the new science facility, which they call STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and Mathematics). That could be a game changer for IUP because nobody will have anything like it. Driscoll also says next year IUP will move up to a class 2 Carnegie research institution.

There is a lot going on at IUP but they need to find a way to stem (no pun intended) the enrollment decline.

I saw a video from Yinzerburgh TV that was on YouTube with Driscoll and another admin stating they have planned for the decline in enrollment.

But hey go to Slimey and get a diploma one can buy in any paper products aislle and enjoy being programmed for four years that you are morally superior than the rest of the world....

Comment

• Sheetz was around back then? Geez! I guess that's back in the day when you used the oil pencils and menu cards to design and order our MTO. You were probably drinking your Jack Daniels with IT Cola. Remember that stuff?

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
                  It is a shocking drop. Back in 1980 when I was an undergrad it was 12,500 and it was capped at 12,500. At that time most of the other PSAC schools were in the 4-6000 range. The U.S. population was 226 million and next year's census will be about 330 million.

The College of Natural science and Math is now the Kopchick College, thanks to a 26 Million donation, and the Chem department is now the Madia Chem department, thanks to a 1 million dollar donation. That's huge in the PASSHE, and in a few years IUP will have the only accredited Environmental Engineering program in the PASSHE - And there will be more good things to come. But these types of programs compete with Pitt and PSU, and with decreasing students willing to attend high powered programs, it will also take good PR, and that's been a problem in the past, and In my view made the enrollment drop bigger. Also, I'm sure Driscoll is concerned, but is looking for good news rather than panicking, as some schools did to their detriment.

Comment

• Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

Sheetz was around back then? Geez! I guess that's back in the day when you used the oil pencils and menu cards to design and order our MTO. You were probably drinking your Jack Daniels with IT Cola. Remember that stuff?

Comment

• The other thing is that the emphasis is on the system. If you listen to Driscoll he knows his role within the entire PASSHE system. That's his job. He's just based in Indiana. They don't have that much autonomy. Hey, I say 'screw the other schools' - Make IUP Great Again - but that went out the window a long time ago.

Comment

• Yeah, that's all correct. I worked on the Wawa account when I worked in the advertising world when Wawa started the MTO thing waaaay back in the early '90's.

Comment

• Having lived with both at different times of my life ...

No comparison in my mind. WAWA all day long. Their food is tremendously better in my opinion. Coffee, too.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                            Having lived with both at different times of my life ...

No comparison in my mind. WAWA all day long. Their food is tremendously better in my opinion. Coffee, too.
                            Amen!

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                              Having lived with both at different times of my life ...

Comment

• The annual Sheetz versus Wawa thread. https://www.businessinsider.com/wawa...hich-is-better

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X