Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comment

• Shepherd is hard to figure out. It's hard to fault the two losses, which were to good teams. The tight came with Shippensburg followed by the convincing win vs West Chester is interesting, and the close game with a bad Bloomsburg team and a reasonably competitive game with Millersville stand out. It may not mean anything other than the typical inconsistency of a younger team playing in a new league.

It's hard for me to find a scenario where Shepherd wins this game other than a lot of turnovers by IUP. I mean that with no disrespect and I do believe it's going to be a very competitive game. As an earlier poster mentioned, the Rams could be undefeated. I don't see a blowout, that's for sure. Shepherd is always tough and very physical, and let's be honest, IUP hasn't seen a decent team for a while. That will take some adjustment. I just believe that IUP has a little too much for Shepherd to handle in terms of experience, better athletes, and playing at home.

Comment

• Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post
        I just believe that IUP has a little too much for Shepherd to handle in terms of experience, better athletes, and playing at home.
        Experience- Check
        Home field Advantage- Check

Better Athletes- I can't get behind that. Shepherd has plenty of thoroughbred horses, but a lot like IUP, they make mistakes at terrible times.

Can Shepherd beat IUP? They've made a history of it. They bring plenty to the table and will need to play a really solid game. They can't lose the turnover margin and they can't prolong IUP drives with penalties. Now with all that said, I think experience goes a long way and IUP definitely has the advantage in this game.

Comment

• Originally posted by Monte's Catering Co. View Post

Experience- Check

Better Athletes- I can't get behind that. Shepherd has plenty of thoroughbred horses, but a lot like IUP, they make mistakes at terrible times.

Can Shepherd beat IUP? They've made a history of it. They bring plenty to the table and will need to play a really solid game. They can't lose the turnover margin and they can't prolong IUP drives with penalties. Now with all that said, I think experience goes a long way and IUP definitely has the advantage in this game.

Comment

• There are no trap games in the playoffs. Everyone knows one and done, and that all 7 teams are capable of winning. The Shep game is a really interesting matchup for IUP from a statistical perspective. - best pass offense against the best pass D, Least sacks given up vs the most sacks. IUPs run D has struggled at times, while Sheps run game has been better recently. Neither team has had a challenge for 3-4 weeks. The one mismatch looks to be Sheps Pass D is not top ranked while IUP is 3rd in pass offense. It probably comes down to Shep stopping the pass, and IUP stopping the run - then special teams and intangibles.

Comment

• Originally posted by Monte's Catering Co. View Post

Experience- Check

Hard to believe both of Shepherd's loses were at home - Same two teams to get to the regional finals -- This could play out like 2015 but on the road this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

There are no trap games in the playoffs. Everyone knows one and done, and that all 7 teams are capable of winning. The Shep game is a really interesting matchup for IUP from a statistical perspective. - best pass offense against the best pass D, Least sacks given up vs the most sacks. IUPs run D has struggled at times, while Sheps run game has been better recently. Neither team has had a challenge for 3-4 weeks. The one mismatch looks to be Sheps Pass D is not top ranked while IUP is 3rd in pass offense. It probably comes down to Shep stopping the pass, and IUP stopping the run - then special teams and intangibles.

These are two area's that don't make me feel particularly warm and fuzzy thinking about IUP. No idea what is going on with the extra-point unit. The haven't kicked many field goals this year but haven't been real hot on the ones they've tried. There's a defect in the scheme somewhere. They are getting extra points blocked or at least hands on them way too frequently. Tort said yesterday on his show that unit is basically a mess and needs fixed. The blowout season is over. Every point counts now. They can't leave freebies like extra points on the table.

As IUPAlum said last week, they can't continue to play with 'two cent heads'. Although, I don't think a team can just all the sudden turn that off. The personal fouls on kickoff coverage, etc., ... that stuff scares me heading in to the postseason. And, it's happened basically every week for three years under Tort so I don't see it suddenly stopping now.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

These are two area's that don't make me feel particularly warm and fuzzy thinking about IUP. No idea what is going on with the extra-point unit. The haven't kicked many field goals this year but haven't been real hot on the ones they've tried. There's a defect in the scheme somewhere. They are getting extra points blocked or at least hands on them way too frequently. Tort said yesterday on his show that unit is basically a mess and needs fixed. The blowout season is over. Every point counts now. They can't leave freebies like extra points on the table.

As IUPAlum said last week, they can't continue to play with 'two cent heads'. Although, I don't think a team can just all the sudden turn that off. The personal fouls on kickoff coverage, etc., ... that stuff scares me heading in to the postseason. And, it's happened basically every week for three years under Tort so I don't see it suddenly stopping now.
                  Glad someone pointed this out. Kicking game for IUP has been average at best. You don't get to the natty with that. The kicking game was IUP's undoing back in the early 90s when Shepherd came to Indiana and left with a win as has been discussed on this board. If it gets into a field goal kicking contest, IUP is in big trouble.

Is it just me or have we been bringing this up for about 20 years now?

Comment

• Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

Glad someone pointed this out. Kicking game for IUP has been average at best. You don't get to the natty with that. The kicking game was IUP's undoing back in the early 90s when Shepherd came to Indiana and left with a win as has been discussed on this board. If it gets into a field goal kicking contest, IUP is in big trouble.

Is it just me or have we been bringing this up for about 20 years now?
                    I don't think it's actually a 'kicker' issue. Sarka is a pretty proven guy. They just seem to be getting blown up on the execution. It seems to be a formation or blocking issue. Teams have found a weak link in there somewhere. One game they couldn't keep the snap off the turf.

Comment

• H
                      Last edited by TJ85; 11-20-2019, 10:59 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by TJ85 View Post
                        Having Mayr out is a big deal for IUP, Puffenbarger will have to step up and take more reps. I don't think it will be too much of an issue for Saturday as I think Shepherd will be going home a loser. But it will have an impact in the coming rounds if IUP does get the win.
                        What's wrong with him? Done for season?

Puff is a big dude. Is that a big fall off between the two?

Comment

Not sure.
                          Last edited by TJ85; 11-20-2019, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Maybe
                            Last edited by TJ85; 11-20-2019, 11:00 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by TJ85 View Post

I would also say from what I've seen this year I don't think its a MAJOR fall off but there is a decent fall off
                              That sucks. That DL hasn't been at full force all year. One comes back and another goes out. But, that's football in November. Every team is banged up.

Comment

That sucks. That DL hasn't been at full force all year. One comes back and another goes out. But, that's football in November. Every team is banged up.
                                Of course
                                Last edited by TJ85; 11-20-2019, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X