Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCAA Cancels all sports

All winter and spring championships gone like that. What crazy times.
    Last edited by Bart; 03-12-2020, 05:57 PM.

Originally posted by Bart View Post
    ...and just like you said WCU was way ahead of the 8 ball.

Comment

Not a good day for sports fans.

Comment

All athletes from the winter/spring sports should be granted an extra year of eligibility since they were stripped of an opportunity to complete their seasons. At the D1 level it'll cost a few bucks to keep those scholarship players an extra year but the Kentucky's, Duke's, UNC, Kansas programs have more than enough to cover the extra tuition bills. The NCAA should step in and offer free tuition for those kids who would have graduated in May to keep their scholarships and compete next year an entire season.

Comment

Originally posted by shipfbfan1 View Post
          All athletes from the winter/spring sports should be granted an extra year of eligibility since they were stripped of an opportunity to complete their seasons. At the D1 level it'll cost a few bucks to keep those scholarship players an extra year but the Kentucky's, Duke's, UNC, Kansas programs have more than enough to cover the extra tuition bills. The NCAA should step in and offer free tuition for those kids who would have graduated in May to keep their scholarships and compete next year an entire season.
          This topic was discussed on the basketball side yesterday. While unlikely, I fully expect many athletes to at least attempt to sue the NCAA over it.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

This topic was discussed on the basketball side yesterday. While unlikely, I fully expect many athletes to at least attempt to sue the NCAA over it.
            For the top 10 NBA picks their stock was set already but those seniors at mid majors who don't get the national television games like the kid at Marist or the kids at Dayton the tournament could have vastly helped their stock from a 2nd round non guaranteed deal to mid to late 1st round pick with a guaranteed deal.

Comment

Comment

WWII was probably the last time something like this happened on the sports scene. I recall Bloom had no football team in 1942 and 1943 because all the young men were fighting a war. I read were 350 colleges had cancelled football during the war.

Comment

WWII was probably the last time something like this happened on the sports scene. I recall Bloom had no football team in 1942 and 1943 because all the young men were fighting a war. I read were 350 colleges had cancelled football during the war.
                  And, of course, we had the Steagles.

Comment

This is where I'm confused. Are they talking about "spring sports" in the context of spring semester (which would include basketball) or in the context of spring season (which would not include basketball, which is considered a "winter" sport)?
                    Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

This is where I'm confused. Are they talking about "spring sports" in the context of spring semester (which would include basketball) or in the context of spring season (which would not include basketball, which is considered a "winter" sport)?
                      The second case. They are still considering what to do with the winter sports.

Comment

All PSAC competition is suspended per league board of directors conference call this morning:

https://psacsports.org/news/2020/3/1...-march-30.aspx

In light of the latest news regarding COVID-19, the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference (PSAC) has announced that all athletic competition for the remainder of the Spring Semester is suspended, effective immediately.

Any non-conference competitions already travelled to are left to institutional discretion through March 15, at which time all athletic competition must cease.

In addition, all countable related athletic activities (CARA) are suspended until March 30 at which time the Board of Directors will review a proposal from the Athletics Administrators to permit or suspend CARA for the remainder of the semester.
                        Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Winter sports seasons were pretty much completed so no extra year for those athletes. Spring sports that havent started are being considered

Comment

Extended eligibility for Spring sport athletes could be a non event. The cost to the student athlete has to be considered on an individual basis for tuition, room, and board for an extra semester to participate in their sport. Full ride, yes. Start a master's degree, maybe. Short of that, some careful thought needs to be applied. I think most athletes will bypass that extension and start making a living.

Comment

Crazy times indeed. But I think the old addage applies, better safe than sorry.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X