Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Pitt OC-- An Old Ghost Walks the Earth

I was just curious if there was any reaction to Pitt's recent hiring of OC Mark Whipple? Certainly a veteran coach with many years of experience. Probably IUP/PSAC fans will best remember him for being New Haven's head coach back in the early to mid 1990s when IUP played several epic games against the Chargers and Harlon Hill winner Roger Graham. Many also will recall that he was Ben Roethlisberger's first QB coach for the Steelers from 2004-06.

I think many observers expected Pitt to try and lure back former OC Matt Canada or go the route of a younger OC in the Sean McVay/Kliff Kingsbury mold that is so en vogue today. The guy is 61 years old now. Is that maybe a little too "gray beard" to be an innovative offensive mind today?

I'd be interested to hear what y'all have to say on the matter.

-

Re: OT: Pitt OC-- An Old Ghost Walks the Earth

Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
    I was just curious if there was any reaction to Pitt's recent hiring of OC Mark Whipple? Certainly a veteran coach with many years of experience. Probably IUP/PSAC fans will best remember him for being New Haven's head coach back in the early to mid 1990s when IUP played several epic games against the Chargers and Harlon Hill winner Roger Graham. Many also will recall that he was Ben Roethlisberger's first QB coach for the Steelers from 2004-06.

I think many observers expected Pitt to try and lure back former OC Matt Canada or go the route of a younger OC in the Sean McVay/Kliff Kingsbury mold that is so en vogue today. The guy is 61 years old now. Is that maybe a little too "gray beard" to be an innovative offensive mind today?

-
    On the positive ... if he does well Pitt likely doesn't have to worry about him jumping ship for an HC job.

Comment

I do not put much stock into "innovative football", after all what does that mean? I read that all the time on the various football boards I am on. Running a spread or RPO offense is not innovative it is following the lead of others. As far as Whipple himself, I personally as a Pitt fan am OK with the hire. He has a proven track record of developing QBs and having good offenses that are fairly balanced. As far as age that is not a concern of mine either since coordinators are not big recruiters under Narduzzi, as he generally has position coaches handle that.

Comment

If Narduzzi sticks with Pickett does it even matter who the OC is?

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post
          If Narduzzi sticks with Pickett does it even matter who the OC is?
          At the very least Pickett needs to earn it in spring. They have a freshman they red shirted from jersey name Patti and a incoming freshman from SC who is already enrolled. It needs to be a true open competition. This alone make a new OC worth it has he has no loyalties to any of the players.

Comment

-
            Whipple was HC at New Haven from 1988 to 1993. According to the New Haven football history page, their PSAC opponents during that time were:
            1988 and 1989 - California, Edinboro, Bloomsburg
            1990 and 1991 - California, Clarion, West Chester, Shippensburg
            1992 - Clarion, West Chester
            1993 - West Chester, Clarion, Edinboro, Indiana

Comment

Originally posted by Horror Child View Post
              Whipple was HC at New Haven from 1988 to 1993. According to the New Haven football history page, their PSAC opponents during that time were:
              1988 and 1989 - California, Edinboro, Bloomsburg
              1990 and 1991 - California, Clarion, West Chester, Shippensburg
              1992 - Clarion, West Chester
              1993 - West Chester, Clarion, Edinboro, Indiana
              That is quite correct, HC. I did look up Whipple's dossier after I posted the thread. I guess I was under the impression that he went longer at New Haven than just 1993. I guess that would mean that his last game at the Chargers helm was in late November of 1993 against IUP in what can only be described as a true epic playoff game up at New Haven. It was without question the most exciting IUP game that I have ever been a part of (caught it on the radio).

I want to say that IUP played New Haven the next season or two after that, but obviously Whipple would not have been a part of that. Thanks for the info!

-

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                On the positive ... if he does well Pitt likely doesn't have to worry about him jumping ship for an HC job.
                You just never know-----he might want to jump back to UMASS for episode III.

I think that in general I like the hire. Just hope the game has not passed him by. The game is ever changing whether anyone cares to concede that point or not.

I wonder if Pitt may dip into the transfer QB portal ala Tom Savage and Nate Peterman?

-

Comment

I wonder if Pitt may dip into the transfer QB portal ala Tom Savage and Nate Peterman?
                  -
                  I'd rather see Whipple develop Pickett and Pattie. That kind of sounds like a Law firm - Pickett and Pattie. PS: I landed a Pitt swag bag polo with the sun bowl logo on the sleave. Can't wait till spring so I can wear it to church to add some variety to all the WVU gear.

Comment

That is quite correct, HC. I did look up Whipple's dossier after I posted the thread. I guess I was under the impression that he went longer at New Haven than just 1993. I guess that would mean that his last game at the Chargers helm was in late November of 1993 against IUP in what can only be described as a true epic playoff game up at New Haven. It was without question the most exciting IUP game that I have ever been a part of (caught it on the radio).

I want to say that IUP played New Haven the next season or two after that, but obviously Whipple would not have been a part of that. Thanks for the info!

-

Comment

Those are a couple of big coaching names there. I had no idea that either of them were once head coaches at NHU. Both were NFL head coaches. I see that Palmer is the current AD at NHU. Very interesting.

Have the Chargers ever played Yale in football in the modern era?

-

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X