• Show
Clear All

• Lock Haven rounds out its coaching staff

https://www.golhu.com/news/2020/4/6/...t-coaches.aspx

Interesting selections.

Comment

"Division 1 Penn State"

Comment

With the top notch President, AD, and now the new staff, the excitement begins. Expectations are clearly now to be better than the previous staff, where their 4 PSAC wins in a season in 2016, and PSAC East winning record, was the best since 1981. Anything less would be considered unacceptable.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty Harry View Post

With the top notch President, AD, and now the new staff, the excitement begins. Expectations are clearly now to be better than the previous staff, where their 4 PSAC wins in a season in 2016, and PSAC East winning record, was the best since 1981. Anything less would be considered unacceptable.
          Dirty Harry,

How long do you think this new staff should be allowed to meet those expectations....perhaps 3 years?

Comment

Originally posted by ShoNuff View Post

Dirty Harry,

How long do you think this new staff should be allowed to meet those expectations....perhaps 3 years?
            They should rent ... not buy.

Comment

Dirty Harry,

Head coaches are usually given a 2-3 year initial contract. Assistants are typically year to year. Depends on what LHU is able to do with an assistant salary pool. Getting those high caliber PT guys around greater Williamsport is hella more difficult than it is for Cal, IUP, and Rock.

Comment

Dirty Harry,

2016 was Taynor's second season at LHU. I will go out on a limb and predict the following: 0 wins in 2020, 0-1 wins in 2021, and no more than 2 in 2022. Only Carnac the Magnificent truly knows. But, all will know after that 3rd fall whether they are trying to win, or just run a program so that everybody in Lock Haven can gather on Saturday's to sit up in the stands and get that beautiful view of the Susquehanna and take some pictures.

Comment

I would say these staff additions demonstrate some resourcefulness on Kelling's part. It's an eclectic group but collectively they would seem to have a lot of football knowledge.

Do the new guys bring connections that will aid in recruiting? We'll see.

If I'm Lock Haven I would be trying to bring in as many transfers as I can. Players who want an opportunity to play. Based on the rumors of a depleted roster there should be a lot of room for transfers.

Comment

Resourcefulness will be needed. Judging by the staff, they obviously didn't increase the salary pool for assistants or the amount of coaches. The recruiting will be interesting. The roster is depleted, low on numbers. The question is can they get enough good players to have a little success, before the PSAC recruiting machine of their opponents starts convincing kids it's the same old LHU. It's a race against time. And there is nobody there who can convince the recruits of any previous PSAC success. The recruits will not care about what was done at Frostburg. They didn't care about what was done at Urbana with Taynor. The return of longtime coach Sprague gives the appearance that they may be looking in the rear view mirror. And that, is not a pretty sight. The transfer route brings with it some other variables. Be careful what you wish for.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty Harry View Post
                      Resourcefulness will be needed. Judging by the staff, they obviously didn't increase the salary pool for assistants or the amount of coaches. The recruiting will be interesting. The roster is depleted, low on numbers. The question is can they get enough good players to have a little success, before the PSAC recruiting machine of their opponents starts convincing kids it's the same old LHU. It's a race against time. And there is nobody there who can convince the recruits of any previous PSAC success. The recruits will not care about what was done at Frostburg. They didn't care about what was done at Urbana with Taynor. The return of longtime coach Sprague gives the appearance that they may be looking in the rear view mirror. And that, is not a pretty sight. The transfer route brings with it some other variables. Be careful what you wish for.
                      A bunch of transfers could give them the jumpstart they need. It's just looking like there won't be college football this year, anyway. The more I read the more I would bet against it.

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

A bunch of transfers could give them the jumpstart they need. It's just looking like there won't be college football this year, anyway. The more I read the more I would bet against it.
                        Transfers don't come for free, however. He won't have the coin to buy the elite transfers -- or ones without baggage, anyway. I'm sure he doesn't want this turning in to the Kevin Reynolds basketball era at SRU.

Fundraising -- quickly -- has to be Priority No. 1. Winning in D2 all starts with money.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Transfers don't come for free, however. He won't have the coin to buy the elite transfers -- or ones without baggage, anyway. I'm sure he doesn't want this turning in to the Kevin Reynolds basketball era at SRU.

Fundraising -- quickly -- has to be Priority No. 1. Winning in D2 all starts with money.
                          I understand but they aren't going to fundraise like IUP, SRU. I am not talking about getting high impact, big name transfers. Just a bunch of guys who have some experience and are looking for an opportunity and are better than what they've got. Frank Cignetti, Sr. once told me the way you build a program is to replace the players you have with better players.

I think they have to look at it as if it's a start up program. Traditional recruitment strategies probably don't get them where they need to be quickly enough and looking at some of the comments the clock is already running.

Comment

Chris Sprague was retained. Moved from DL in 2019 to Offensive coordinator for 2020 and Cam Tobias also retained to try to provide some offensive continuity. The last 5 years have arguably been the best in LHU's history. #1, #3 and #4 scoring offenses in university history. 5 of the top 10 total offenses including the top 2.

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

I understand but they aren't going to fundraise like IUP, SRU. I am not talking about getting high impact, big name transfers. Just a bunch of guys who have some experience and are looking for an opportunity and are better than what they've got. Frank Cignetti, Sr. once told me the way you build a program is to replace the players you have with better players.

I think they have to look at it as if it's a start up program. Traditional recruitment strategies probably don't get them where they need to be quickly enough and looking at some of the comments the clock is already running.
                              Great point about the kind of transfers. You're right, the top end D1 guys are not likely to go to LHU. The Swartz kid was an inter PSAC transfer. But, how many of those guys through the years panned out at the school they transferred to? And, how many of those will go to LHU? It was a big risk to hire a coach from the same conference where there was no PSAC background again. It is likely they will pay the price for that. I don't think this will be the case of if at first you don't succeed, try, try, again. More like fool me once shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. Or maybe even Dumb and Dumber.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X