Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The NEW PSAC FOOTBALL Conference

With possible consolidation/elimination of schools financially in the PASSHE post Covid, maybe it's time to evaluate what a stronger PSAC would look like. If some schools were to close, it would mean that those players would add depth to programs in other schools thus making the teams deeper and more talented from top to bottom. Secondly, an equal out-of-state policy for the remaining state system schools, like the 40% discount at Kutztown( a lot of out of state players on the roster, 1/3) increases the talent pool , and makes teams better and more able to compete for a national championship. So
    here goes with the New PSAC.
    **** Drop Lock Haven, Clarion, and Edinboro Send Seton Hill to the MEC along with Gannon and Mercyhurt to the GMAC
    **** 10 Team Conference , KU, ESU, Bloom, Ville, WCU, Ship, IUP, Cal, Rock, Shepherd
    **** Form one conference with 9 conference games, and 2 OOC, with MEC, NE-10,
    **** Despite Ville's performance along the lines of Lock Haven and Clarion, they are kept because of population proximity,

**** Mandate that on the men's side of athletics, there be only a max of 4 sports/ No Division 1 sports, thus plowing more resources into few sports, and be able to keep in line with Title IX
    Just some thoughts while we are teleworking.

Originally posted by Dirty Harry View Post
    With possible consolidation/elimination of schools financially in the PASSHE post Covid, maybe it's time to evaluate what a stronger PSAC would look like. If some schools were to close, it would mean that those players would add depth to programs in other schools thus making the teams deeper and more talented from top to bottom. Secondly, an equal out-of-state policy for the remaining state system schools, like the 40% discount at Kutztown( a lot of out of state players on the roster, 1/3) increases the talent pool , and makes teams better and more able to compete for a national championship. So
    **** Drop Lock Haven, Clarion, and Edinboro Send Seton Hill to the MEC along with Gannon and Mercyhurt to the GMAC
    **** 10 Team Conference , KU, ESU, Bloom, Ville, WCU, Ship, IUP, Cal, Rock, Shepherd
    **** Despite Ville's performance along the lines of Lock Haven and Clarion, they are kept because of population proximity,

**** Mandate that on the men's side of athletics, there be only a max of 4 sports/ No Division 1 sports, thus plowing more resources into few sports, and be able to keep in line with Title IX
    This is absolutely stupid and irresponsible. The State System has been very clear that no schools are closing. Please don't negligently spread misinformation in the name of hypothesis.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

This is absolutely stupid and irresponsible. The State System has been very clear that no schools are closing. Please don't negligently spread misinformation in the name of hypothesis.
      First of all, this started with the word POSSIBLE, and despite what anybody says, the end of the fiscal year in June will give us a better idea around the country including a lot of private schools,who will continue. Secondly, this is simply an attempt to make the conference stronger in football in order to compete for a National Championship. Millersville, the worst in the new PSAC, has the best facilities in the PSAC, bar none, and have a higher ceiling than others. They just have not found the right guy since Gene Carpenter. Time will tell. ADVERSITY always creates POSSIBILITIES.

Comment

If you didn't lose me at suggesting that state schools are closing in June, you definitely lost me at Millersville having the best facilities in the conference.

Go on Google and find the last time a state university closed.

Comment

There's more than just football. PSAC basketball, arguably, is just as popular -- even more popular than football at some schools. In fact, the PSAC is MUCH closer to winning a men's basketball national title than a football title. Not even close.

Gannon and Mercyhurst are key members of our league in basketball (same with Pitt-Johnstown) -- and would be tremendous losses.

Now, whether some schools could make a case for closing is one debate ... the state actually doing it is a whole different topic.

If freaking Cheyney is still open ... no chance Clarion or Edinboro is closing.

Seton Hilll ... other than being a close road trip for many ... yeah, it can go. They want to run their basketball and football programs like a mid-level D3 and are bringing nothing to the table.

I certainly agree we have too many state schools in PA.

Comment

If you didn't lose me at suggesting that state schools are closing in June, you definitely lost me at Millersville having the best facilities in the conference.

Go on Google and find the last time a state university closed.
            Regardless of whether any state schools close, this was not about other sports, strictly football.Who do you think has the best facilities? I guess when I read about some of our PASSHE schools operating in debt, or the reduction of students attending some of them, there's nothing wrong with having a state of the union evaluation on PSAC football and how it can compete at a higher post-season level. But, we can keep the same old PSAC, and then continue to complain about how all of these other conferences have advantages and greater commitments to football. This site is called D2 Football, not D2 Everything else. The conference added 3 Private Schools with 30 plus scholarships, close to the D2 max. What do we have to show for it? With that amount of scholarship money, they have completely underachieved. If you want to throw Clarion and Edinboro back in for a 12 team conference with an 11 game conference schedule, fine. Same old, same old.

Comment

I will be blunt. This is the most ridiculous idea I've ever seen. As messed up as Harrisburg is, there is no way you're going to see any PASSHE schools closed, given the political realities of the state. Gannon and Mercyhurst do bring value to the PSAC - granted not so much in football, but they've more than held their own in non-revenue sports - and pushing them out of the league is not happening. It's especially not happening as long as the current PSAC commissioner is a Gannon alum.

As for capping men's sports to only four, that's not happening without a slew of lawsuits being filed, not to mention a drop in enrollment that makes the problem worse.

I'm sorry that I wasted time reading this idea, if we're going to be blunt.
              Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

What would you call this new league?

Comment

Regardless of whether any state schools close, this was not about other sports, strictly football.Who do you think has the best facilities? I guess when I read about some of our PASSHE schools operating in debt, or the reduction of students attending some of them, there's nothing wrong with having a state of the union evaluation on PSAC football and how it can compete at a higher post-season level. But, we can keep the same old PSAC, and then continue to complain about how all of these other conferences have advantages and greater commitments to football. This site is called D2 Football, not D2 Everything else. The conference added 3 Private Schools with 30 plus scholarships, close to the D2 max. What do we have to show for it? With that amount of scholarship money, they have completely underachieved. If you want to throw Clarion and Edinboro back in for a 12 team conference with an 11 game conference schedule, fine. Same old, same old.
                  Millersville doesn't even have the best football stadium in Lancaster County.

Comment

Dirty Harry makes some valid points! That is not to say I am anxious to see any of what he intimates to happen. The 10 team conference he suggests would, however, definitely be dominated by the likes of IUP, SRU, Cal and possibly WCU, because of the amount of $$$ available at those schools for football scholarships. Not WCU, which is unique in their success with limited resources.

Comment

Millersville doesn't even have the best football stadium in Lancaster County.
                      Facilities include, stadium, weight room, practice fields(Ville has turf), coaches offices, and meeting rooms. That's usually the tour that D1 recruits get.

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

What would you call this new league?
                        I guess PSAC, but am open lol,

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

I will be blunt. This is the most ridiculous idea I've ever seen. As messed up as Harrisburg is, there is no way you're going to see any PASSHE schools closed, given the political realities of the state. Gannon and Mercyhurst do bring value to the PSAC - granted not so much in football, but they've more than held their own in non-revenue sports - and pushing them out of the league is not happening. It's especially not happening as long as the current PSAC commissioner is a Gannon alum.

As for capping men's sports to only four, that's not happening without a slew of lawsuits being filed, not to mention a drop in enrollment that makes the problem worse.

Actually, schools don't have to close, people realign conferences all the time, adding teams, subtracting teams, etc. Who ever thought West Virginia would be in the Big 12, or that Penn State was not part of an Eastern Conference. This is about football, not about anything else. And, nobody said it was going to happen. But, every once in a while, it's good to think outside of the box. And, in a conference such as this, it would be tremendously competitive, and it would make schools and people evaluate what it will take to be competitive. Instead of everybody running the spread offense, in order to compete, coaches may have to run other styles of offense. Bloomsburg won big for many years with the sprint draw offense, and nobody else ran it nor did they defend it very well. So, while we are all teleworking, we can reevaluate a lot of things.
                          Last edited by Dirty Harry; 04-30-2020, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Facilities include, stadium, weight room, practice fields(Ville has turf), coaches offices, and meeting rooms. That's usually the tour that D1 recruits get.
                            Never knew Millersville has coaches offices and a weight room. Impressive indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

On what grounds?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X