Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Promising? Maybe?

https://lastwordoncollegefootball.co...l-sports-plan/

Sounds like a reasonable plan, but certainly clear....no on campus students....no sports..

I beleive in 20-30 days we will be right back to the worst of times.

It's a real witch ... stay closed and the economy will just get worse and worse by the day. Open, however, and this thing will likely spread again like wildfire.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
      I beleive in 20-30 days we will be right back to the worst of times.

It's a real witch ... stay closed and the economy will just get worse and worse by the day. Open, however, and this thing will likely spread again like wildfire.
      A lot of folks think this is a "one-and-done" deal, and are starting to go back to "normal."

The reality of the situation is that we will probably see a second, if not third wave of the virus - some predictions have them being worse than the first one. We also just passed 70,000 deaths today as well.

While their plan is ambitious and I certainly hope we get some football in the fall - I don't see it happening unless something drastically changes.

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

A lot of folks think this is a "one-and-done" deal, and are starting to go back to "normal."

The reality of the situation is that we will probably see a second, if not third wave of the virus - some predictions have them being worse than the first one. We also just passed 70,000 deaths today as well.

While their plan is ambitious and I certainly hope we get some football in the fall - I don't see it happening unless something drastically changes.
        Tricky part is the money and economy. There are lots of people really hurting financially. However, opening things up too soon will no doubt result in a massive spread and more deaths.

The second wave seems inevitable.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Tricky part is the money and economy. There are lots of people really hurting financially. However, opening things up too soon will no doubt result in a massive spread and more deaths.

The second wave seems inevitable.
          Yeah, that's the thing of it. How do we balance lives lost and economy? It's worse here than what we thought it was originally.

I'm not an economist, but outbreaks localized to businesses would shut them down pretty fast - and nobody would have a say. Then we'd really have some problems on our hands. I think that's worse than what we have now.

Comment

Specific to PA, I don't see spectator sports resuming until "Green Phase" and I have a feeling that nobody is escaping the "Yellow Phase" until a vaccination is readily available. If that holds true, then I expect sports that can take place with under 25 people present may take place. This may limit the number of players and coaches present. It also assumes no spectators.
            Last edited by Fightingscot82; 05-08-2020, 12:05 PM.

Comment

I have begun to believe that some of these people are either going to start disregarding Wolf's edicts completely, or the pressure they apply will lead to the state government to opening things up before it's safe.

Comment

Certainly not minimizing anyone who has suffered a Covid related death in their family, but 70,000 is WAY below what quite a few well meaning "projections" were predicting.

I think we are in a much better place now than we were back when Covid first hit US shores not so very long ago. First and maybe foremost, all Americans are MUCH more aware of the early indicators of the virus and as we know from GI Joe, knowing is half the battle (hahaha!!). While certainly not air tight, most Americans that start to feel "sick" (low grade fever, cough, etc) are going to take things a bit more seriously that they did a couple of months ago (heck, I can't count the number of times I "toughed out" a cold and went to work over the years...NOT anymore!!). Also, the government is in a better place testing wise. Again, not perfect and there is still work to do, but as a nation we are light years ahead in testing and identifying people with Covid. We also have a much better, individually and as a nation, on what segment of the population is truely at risk. I have just passed into the "high risk" category and I can assure you, I am going to approach the relaxing of the stay at home orders quite a bit differently than perhaps a typical 25 year old would...and I would hope that a 25 year old, knowing that grammy and pop pop are more at risk are probably (hopefully) going to modify their behavior. Last, the thing it seems everyone looks at with a LOT of concern..."contact tracing." While there is a lot to be concerned of and it certainly does demand procedural oversight, contract tracing can be an invaluable tool to help limit the spread of future Covid outbreaks. But probably the most controversial, "heard immunity." As we have done more and more testing, what we are finding out is that many more people have had Corona that we origionally thought (actually a good thing as it shows that the actual death rate of Corona is much lower than thought at the begining). While we don't yet know how long people who have had Corona will carry complete or largely complete immunity to it, the informed speculation seems to be trending toward at least a year. While this is good for the people and families who are part of this immediate "heard," more importantly it reduces the ability of Corona to spread in the heard that is America as a whole.

Will Covid resurge? Possibly, but I think we are in a MUCH better place to identify and limit any future outbreaks today than we were in February. And as time goes by, we will get better and better at it until we finally develop a vacine.

Bottom line, we can't keep America and it's citizens locked down for ever. While I don't want to die from it and I don't want anyone else to die from it either, if that is what is ment to be, sadly, that is what is ment to be. Bottom line, I want to live what ever I have left of my life...enjoying life with the people I love out in the nation I love. Will I take more precautions than I did before Corona (mask in large groups, hand washing, not standing so close to people, not "toughing out" a cold, etc)? Absolutely...but I want to enjoy myself and I'm not willing to lock myself in the house in fear of a big bad boogieman!

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                  Certainly not minimizing anyone who has suffered a Covid related death in their family, but 70,000 is WAY below what quite a few well meaning "projections" were predicting.
                  Part of the goal was to prove the original predictions wrong. They assumed no mitigation efforts - so obviously the model numbers were going to be drastically higher than the outcome. That's what we wanted.

No offense, but this is a prime example of why I wish the news would stop talking about COVID models. Too many of them are coming out to keep track of, and a lot of people don't understand what they mean. I certainly don't. I'm a business major.

I watch the numbers in my spare time and make rough estimates based on averages. We'll probably hit 100,000 fatalities by the end of May, if not sooner. It's simple math anyone can do, I'm certainly not a genius. I've often wondered what the threshold is for taking this seriously. It wasn't 10,000 or 50,000...

Comment

I wasn't counting on entire counties to tell the governor to pound sand, but ...

www.pennlive.com/news/2020/05/dauphin-lebanon-county-officials-declare-themselves-ready-to-reopen-say-they-will-break-from-gov-wolfs-plan.html

Comment

Part of the goal was to prove the original predictions wrong. They assumed no mitigation efforts - so obviously the model numbers were going to be drastically higher than the outcome. That's what we wanted.

No offense, but this is a prime example of why I wish the news would stop talking about COVID models. Too many of them are coming out to keep track of, and a lot of people don't understand what they mean. I certainly don't. I'm a business major.

I watch the numbers in my spare time and make rough estimates based on averages. We'll probably hit 100,000 fatalities by the end of May, if not sooner. It's simple math anyone can do, I'm certainly not a genius. I've often wondered what the threshold is for taking this seriously. It wasn't 10,000 or 50,000...
                      I think the US ultimately took this quite seriously. I mean my g0d, we effectively closed down the strongest economy in the world over about three weeks. Maybe a week or two slow on the initial uptake, but pretty quickly we were about as clamped down as we could be short of the cops arresting people and throwing them in jail if they didn't have the right "papers" letting them out of their house. The whole lock down was intended as a temporary solution allowing the government to mobalize (get "experts" looking at the problem and developing mitigation processes), understand better what exactly was going on and to give them time to take steps to address what the experts predicted was going to be the patient load (i.e. ICU beds and ventilators), develop and deploy testing to identify those who had active Corona (reduce the spread potential), come up with treatments (reduce the number of deaths) and buy time to move us closer to a vacine (long term "cure" or "heard immunity"). I think largely, this has been a pretty substantial success.

Problem with these "on the fly" emergency processes is that you can't really take into account local/regional variations in the virus outbreak. You effectively have to impose a worst case sollution. In this case, the worst case was an intercity area were people lived and worked in close proximity...somthing like NYC. But is a lock down that is appropriate for NYC really necessary for say areas in wide expanses of the rest of the US were there is often many miles (or at least acres) between individuals/families? While I understand the need for a rapid, one size fits all, immediate "solution," I think we are far enough along and have a modicum of "control" over the situation to the point were maybe we can start to tailor what is the best solution for each location.
                      Last edited by boatcapt; 05-08-2020, 10:10 PM.

Comment

I think the US ultimately took this quite seriously. I mean my g0d, we effectively closed down the strongest economy in the world over about three weeks. Maybe a week or two slow on the initial uptake, but pretty quickly we were about as clamped down as we could be short of the cops arresting people and throwing them in jail if they didn't have the right "papers" letting them out of their house. The whole lock down was intended as a temporary solution allowing the government to mobalize (get "experts" looking at the problem and developing mitigation processes), understand better what exactly was going on and to give them time to take steps to address what the experts predicted was going to be the patient load (i.e. ICU beds and ventilators), develop and deploy testing to identify those who had active Corona (reduce the spread potential), come up with treatments (reduce the number of deaths) and buy time to move us closer to a vacine (long term "cure" or "heard immunity"). I think largely, this has been a pretty substantial success.

Problem with these "on the fly" emergency processes is that you can't really take into account local/regional variations in the virus outbreak. You effectively have to impose a worst case sollution. In this case, the worst case was an intercity area were people lived and worked in close proximity...somthing like NYC. But is a lock down that is appropriate for NYC really necessary for say areas in wide expanses of the rest of the US were there is often many miles (or at least acres) between individuals/families? While I understand the need for a rapid, one size fits all, immediate "solution," I think we are far enough along and have a modicum of "control" over the situation to the point were maybe we can start to tailor what is the best solution for each location.
                        Really it's just the virus versus the human beings who are called scientists. We are just at their mercy. To be blunt.

Comment

I think we are in a much better place now than we were back when Covid first hit US shores not so very long ago. First and maybe foremost, all Americans are MUCH more aware of the early indicators of the virus and as we know from GI Joe, knowing is half the battle (hahaha!!). While certainly not air tight, most Americans that start to feel "sick" (low grade fever, cough, etc) are going to take things a bit more seriously that they did a couple of months ago (heck, I can't count the number of times I "toughed out" a cold and went to work over the years...NOT anymore!!). Also, the government is in a better place testing wise. Again, not perfect and there is still work to do, but as a nation we are light years ahead in testing and identifying people with Covid. We also have a much better, individually and as a nation, on what segment of the population is truely at risk. I have just passed into the "high risk" category and I can assure you, I am going to approach the relaxing of the stay at home orders quite a bit differently than perhaps a typical 25 year old would...and I would hope that a 25 year old, knowing that grammy and pop pop are more at risk are probably (hopefully) going to modify their behavior. Last, the thing it seems everyone looks at with a LOT of concern..."contact tracing." While there is a lot to be concerned of and it certainly does demand procedural oversight, contract tracing can be an invaluable tool to help limit the spread of future Covid outbreaks. But probably the most controversial, "heard immunity." As we have done more and more testing, what we are finding out is that many more people have had Corona that we origionally thought (actually a good thing as it shows that the actual death rate of Corona is much lower than thought at the begining). While we don't yet know how long people who have had Corona will carry complete or largely complete immunity to it, the informed speculation seems to be trending toward at least a year. While this is good for the people and families who are part of this immediate "heard," more importantly it reduces the ability of Corona to spread in the heard that is America as a whole.

Will Covid resurge? Possibly, but I think we are in a MUCH better place to identify and limit any future outbreaks today than we were in February. And as time goes by, we will get better and better at it until we finally develop a vacine.

Bottom line, we can't keep America and it's citizens locked down for ever. While I don't want to die from it and I don't want anyone else to die from it either, if that is what is ment to be, sadly, that is what is ment to be. Bottom line, I want to live what ever I have left of my life...enjoying life with the people I love out in the nation I love. Will I take more precautions than I did before Corona (mask in large groups, hand washing, not standing so close to people, not "toughing out" a cold, etc)? Absolutely...but I want to enjoy myself and I'm not willing to lock myself in the house in fear of a big bad boogieman!
                          Easy Trumper...The intelligence came out in late December and Our POTUS ignored all of it. If we had started mitigation in January, imagine where we'd be now. Trump WASTED 7 weeks...Think about that...

Comment

Plan on a shortened season at best and more likely that Football will be a Spring sport in 2021...

Comment

*snip*
                              It's hard to have a plan when disaster response teams are gutted and early warnings aren't heeded. We were long past the point of any long-term thought out plan when the first shutdowns rolled in. The NBA was a catalyst for a lot of this - shows how bad our response was.

The real problem here is listening to the talking heads on tv instead of listening to scientists. Most of them, when they give interviews, lay everything out in layman's terms fairly nicely - but it's easier to digest some dude with an English degree on Fox or CNN, since it doesn't involve reading or thinking critically about the situation. Just something that irks me about how the population is choosing to handle this.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X