Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CUlater View Post
    Looks like there is a an exception for scrimmages/exhibition games against non D2 opponents, those would be exempt from counting towards the max limit. Curious to see if that leads teams to explore finding FCS or D3 opponents to replace week 1 div2 matchups...
    Good point! I am curious too...

Comment

Sounds like football and basketball can start voluntary team workouts June 1 (in most places).

Comment

Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post
        https://highlandcountypress.com/Cont...-21/3/21/57420

Here's the synopsis...The Management Council recommended lowering the amount of permissible contests for the entire academic year. Nothing has been totally finalized, but a meeting tomorrow could yield more details. The proposal is for a 25% reduction of games...That would pave the way for a 7 or 8 game regular season in football.
        I predict a 8 game schedule with a start date Sept. 26. Allotted practices same for each institution.

Comment

Not really expecting an answer but it isn't unrealistic to encounter this situation. School A in conference 4 works out an 8 game schedule. After 4 games a serious outbreak of C19 on campus causes school A to suspend for the remainder of the term. Are their remaining games forfeited? Is that fair to teams that may have lost to them ? Are their games erased in total ?

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
            Not really expecting an answer but it isn't unrealistic to encounter this situation. School A in conference 4 works out an 8 game schedule. After 4 games a serious outbreak of C19 on campus causes school A to suspend for the remainder of the term. Are their remaining games forfeited? Is that fair to teams that may have lost to them ? Are their games erased in total ?
            OR....will the NCAA cancel football and other fall sports?! That is a very good question CALUPA69

Comment

Originally posted by ShoNuff View Post

OR....will the NCAA cancel football and other fall sports?! That is a very good question CALUPA69
              I will be very surprised if schools in politically conservative states, especially the South, don't go whole hog for whatever the NCAA permits including tailgates and packed stadiums. The ACC and SEC are still pissed off about no MARCH MADNESS.

Comment

Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post
                Would that just cancel all OOC games or they forgo championship weekend?
                Since Championship Weekend essentially is a regular season week for the non-divisional winners, then the likely scenario is that Week 1 OOC games will be cancelled for 2020. I'd suspect that any contracts for 2020 would be either honored in 2021 or some other alternative depending on whether it's the back-half of a home-and-home series.

Example: Cal hosts St. Anselm (NE-10) in Week 1 2020 as the return game from their trip to Manchester last season. Presuming Cal doesn't have an OOC contract lined up in 2021-2022, then the St. Anselm at Cal game is likely the season opener for 2021.

Conversely, if a team is starting the front-half of a home-and-home series in 2020, then the affected game would likely be moved to 2022.

Naturally, this depends on how the change affects the opponent's schedule, but that's my guess as to how this plays out.
                Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

I will be very surprised if schools in politically conservative states, especially the South, don't go whole hog for whatever the NCAA permits including tailgates and packed stadiums. The ACC and SEC are still pissed off about no MARCH MADNESS.
                  To be fair, the impacts of COVID-19 are significantly less in some of those southern states (Florida, Texas as examples) compared to New York City, part of which was because of the high number of cases and fatalities in New York State's nursing homes. Plus, most major cities in southern states (mainly Dallas, San Antonio, Nashville) aren't as densely packed as older Northeastern or Midwestern cities (New York City, Boston, Chicago, Philadelphia, etc.) or West Coast cities like Los Angeles, San Francisco and Seattle, which, in my layman opinion, has helped to flatten the curve down south compared to the Northeast.
                  Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

To be fair, the impacts of COVID-19 are significantly less in some of those southern states (Florida, Texas as examples) compared to New York City, part of which was because of the high number of cases and fatalities in New York State's nursing homes. Plus, most major cities in southern states (mainly Dallas, San Antonio, Nashville) aren't as densely packed as older Northeastern or Midwestern cities (New York City, Boston, Chicago, Philadelphia, etc.) or West Coast cities like Los Angeles, San Francisco and Seattle, which, in my layman opinion, has helped to flatten the curve down south compared to the Northeast.
                    Really only talking about the football when I bring this up. Schools and conferences in less affected areas will certainly want to go on as normal but if one team, say GEORGIA TECH, is located in a hot spot like Atlanta and decides it needs to shut down mid season, how will their previously played games be dealt with. Not truly expecting an answer, just posing the question. Same thought applies to a fair number of D1 powers.

Comment

Since Championship Weekend essentially is a regular season week for the non-divisional winners, then the likely scenario is that Week 1 OOC games will be cancelled for 2020. I'd suspect that any contracts for 2020 would be either honored in 2021 or some other alternative depending on whether it's the back-half of a home-and-home series.

Example: Cal hosts St. Anselm (NE-10) in Week 1 2020 as the return game from their trip to Manchester last season. Presuming Cal doesn't have an OOC contract lined up in 2021-2022, then the St. Anselm at Cal game is likely the season opener for 2021.

Conversely, if a team is starting the front-half of a home-and-home series in 2020, then the affected game would likely be moved to 2022.

Naturally, this depends on how the change affects the opponent's schedule, but that's my guess as to how this plays out.
                      The schedule as we know it will likely be deleted. If it's determined 2-4 East schools cannot play (likely) ... that really changes everything. There may not be an East and a West. It may just be the PSAC this season.

Comment

We've already seen the situation play out in basketball season...The season ended...It's not fair to anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

We've already seen the situation play out in basketball season...The season ended...It's not fair to anyone.
                          The difference is that there wasn't time in March to come up with a plan. The NCAA has nothing but time now so I'd hope most, if not all, possibilities have been provided for. We shall see.

Comment

The difference is that there wasn't time in March to come up with a plan. The NCAA has nothing but time now so I'd hope most, if not all, possibilities have been provided for. We shall see.
                            You're right about that. We shall see...Football is screwed IMO because of the amount of players involved...Putting 80 players on 2 buses every week doesn't seem possible right now, and we won't have a vaccine anytime soon...What possible plan could resolve that?!
                            Last edited by WarriorVoice; 05-23-2020, 07:15 AM.

Comment

States like Florida are already blocking the real numbers of casualties from being released, so good luck with that...

Comment

Fair? What's fair about any of this?!
                                Last edited by WarriorVoice; 05-23-2020, 08:13 AM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X