Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

You're right about that. We shall see...Football is screwed IMO because of the amount of players involved...Putting 80 players on 2 buses every week doesn't seem possible right now, and we won't have a vaccine anytime soon...What possible plan could resolve that?!
    In no way am I suggesting that the NCAA plan will be effective or even make sense, but hopefully it will go beyond "do what you think is best". Looking for something along the lines of parameters that will allow play to go on if/when one or more schools decide to stop their season after it's started. For example how many of the 169 D2 football programs need to complete a season for a playoff schedule to be valid. It occurs to me that a number of the perennial also-rans, PACE, MILLERSVILLE, KWU, may just decide it's not worth risking students, coaches and fans for another 1 or 2 win season. How about a rule that only home students can attend the game. Anything that indicates that they're not just winging it.

Comment

Thought about this. If only students are allowed at home games, maybe a pay per view situation. I think it would be reasonable ask $7/game or $70/szn pass for H & A games. Even if the season is cut short just write it of as a donation to your favorite sport. My only request would be neutral commentators and upgrade on video quality and not some FR with an iPhone.

Comment

You're right about that. We shall see...Football is screwed IMO because of the amount of players involved...Putting 80 players on 2 buses every week doesn't seem possible right now, and we won't have a vaccine anytime soon...What possible plan could resolve that?!
        Does the PSAC really allow 80 players to travel? What's the current limit? Whatever the travel number is, it would make sense to reduce it this season and add another bus. Which brings added cost, of course. Having one conference and not divisions this year would make sense in trying to reduce the travel. It would be a scheduling headache, but...

Comment

Originally posted by Pine Ridge View Post

Does the PSAC really allow 80 players to travel? What's the current limit? Whatever the travel number is, it would make sense to reduce it this season and add another bus. Which brings added cost, of course. Having one conference and not divisions this year would make sense in trying to reduce the travel. It would be a scheduling headache, but...
          Actually the PSAC is so compact travel wise, adding a bus no matter the number of players, would be money well spent. The other factor that would be helpful would be fewer overnights by leaving pre-dawn, 3-5 am, and returning the same day. Maybe push back kickoff to 3pm.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

Actually the PSAC is so compact travel wise, adding a bus no matter the number of players, would be money well spent. The other factor that would be helpful would be fewer overnights by leaving pre-dawn, 3-5 am, and returning the same day. Maybe push back kickoff to 3pm.
            That's exactly what I'm talking about. You can't exactly day trip Erie to Shepherdstown or East Stroudsburg to most West division schools.

Comment

The normal travel party is 2 buses full. That does include some staff too, but the point still remains. Any group travel is risky...

Comment

That's exactly what I'm talking about. You can't exactly day trip Erie to Shepherdstown or East Stroudsburg to most West division schools.
                CAL to ESU, one of the longer trips, is on Google maps at 4.5 hrs so say 5. Leave CAL at 6am arrive ESU around 11 for a 3pm kickoff. Game ends 5-6pm, on the bus by 7-7:30 back home by 12-1am Sunday. Meals would have to be worked in, but it is doable.

Comment

The NCAA limits travel rosters to 58, last I checked. Though, when you factor in coaching, training and support staffs, the traveling party for a road team would be closer to 80-85.
                  Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

CAL to ESU, one of the longer trips, is on Google maps at 4.5 hrs so say 5. Leave CAL at 6am arrive ESU around 11 for a 3pm kickoff. Game ends 5-6pm, on the bus by 7-7:30 back home by 12-1am Sunday. Meals would have to be worked in, but it is doable.
                    I don't think I can agree with that. There's a reason teams will travel to an away game, even Cal to Erie: you think players will be ready to play after a 3-4 hour bus ride just a few hours to kickoff? Return bus trips back to campus aren't as big an issue, but we are talking about young (18-22 years old) human beings here.

Comment

Fair? What's fair about any of this?!
                      All I'm doing is pointing out how foolish it is in general to lump less densely populated states with the same lockdown plans as New York, New Jersey, Pa. etc. What might work in the Acela Corridor isn't going to fly in rural North Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

I don't think I can agree with that. There's a reason teams will travel to an away game, even Cal to Erie: you think players will be ready to play after a 3-4 hour bus ride just a few hours to kickoff? Return bus trips back to campus aren't as big an issue, but we are talking about young (18-22 years old) human beings here.
                        I never played but since this long distance ride will only apply to 1-2 x-over games a year, I can't see that these well conditioned young athletes will have a great deal of difficulty. If it's my son I'd rather have him busing back and forth than staying in a questionably clean motel overnight. My VULCANS fortunately have LHU and VILLE the first two weeks so there is some room for less than perfect play. Otherwise all the WEST games are day trips anyway.

Comment

The transportation alone will scuttle ANY plan. Right now they're talking about busing students with 15 kids in a bus. Translate that to football season and you need at least twice the amount of buses. Schools can't afford to DOUBLE their transportation costs... That's NOT doable...
                          Last edited by WarriorVoice; 05-24-2020, 06:24 AM.

Comment

The transportation alone will scuttle ANY plan. Right now they're talking about busing students with 15 kids in a bus. Translate that to football season and you need at least twice the amount of buses. Schools can't afford to DOUBLE their transportation costs... That's NOT doable...
                            Those are elementary/secondary plans that the local/state school authorities are working on. If universities, public and private, decide to go along with intercollegiate athletics, they will make their own rules and I doubt they'll involve doubling their transportation costs. If these institutions have any hope of returning to normalcy they are going to take risks. Whether that's wise or not is an entirely different question.

Comment

The West is going to be all GREEN likely by late June. At that point there will be no restrictions. If they want to wear masks on the bus that's their choice. If it really bothers the players ... they don't have to play. Those in the yellow or red ... obviously whole different issue.

But, yeah, no chance the budget is covering four buses.

Comment

How about reducing the travel squad to 33 players? Go back to old time football, no platoons, play both ways. Two buses should handle it. D1 will be flying to games, which could be a higher risk. If players are allowed to share locker rooms, tackle, block, and line up face to face in the trenches, bus rides should be good to go.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X