Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bart View Post
    How about reducing the travel squad to 33 players? Go back to old time football, no platoons, play both ways. Two buses should handle it. D1 will be flying to games, which could be a higher risk. If players are allowed to share locker rooms, tackle, block, and line up face to face in the trenches, bus rides should be good to go.
    I don't see the issue with these players traveling together. They will practice together, have meetings/classes together and in many instances room together. I would be much more concerned about their interactions with non-teammates/classmates. It would best if they avoided restaurants, bring their own food and snacks, avoid overnight stays in facilities they cannot be sure have been sanitized and generally avoid most unnecessary contact with others aside from their coaches and staff. The games are what they are and contact is unavoidable, but if things are to return to normal they will have to accept that risk.

Comment

My question is: If a county (or region) is in PA's Green Phase, can you have a PSAC football game?

From what I see, and if current trends continue, most of the PSAC schools are going to be in pretty good shape come September. Some might even be out of the Green Phase. The PSAC teams that are iffy are WCU (real iffy), 'Ville and Kutztown. I think ESU in Monroe County will catch up to the rest of the state in the phases.

I don't see scheduling with a reduced number of eastern teams as a problem. I think most of us could work out a schedule in about 2 hours tops.

I'm just envisioning a coach telling his players "Go out there and win one for the Gipper" via Zoom. Maybe Teams would be more appropriate.

Comment

Pennsylvania and Big Ten schools plans for reopening: https://www.collegian.psu.edu/news/c...20fe5e35a.html

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

The West is going to be all GREEN likely by late June. At that point there will be no restrictions. If they want to wear masks on the bus that's their choice. If it really bothers the players ... they don't have to play. Those in the yellow or red ... obviously whole different issue.

But, yeah, no chance the budget is covering four buses.
          Try again. Even in the "Green Phase" there will still be restrictions on crowd sizes, and mask wearing will still be required. You guys need to wake up to reality...We won't be "back to normal" without a vaccine, and that ain't happening soon...

Comment

Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

Try again. Even in the "Green Phase" there will still be restrictions on crowd sizes, and mask wearing will still be required. You guys need to wake up to reality...We won't be "back to normal" without a vaccine, and that ain't happening soon...
            This is D2. Restrictions on crowd sizes really don't matter (with very few exceptions). Assume a stadium is only permitted 50% occupancy????. How many of our teams even average near 50% occupany? Not many. They could limit it to 33% occupancy and it really wouldn't matter on most days.

All our stadiums probably average 4,000 to 4,500 seats. And, every Saturday, many are half empty (on average).

Crowd size is the one element in all this that is easy to handle -- at this level, anyway.

And, these schools can't count attendance even under normal circumstances.

I agree with CALUPA69 ... if these kids are in class together, playing together, partying together, living together ... travel is no different. It's their choice if they want to play or not.
            Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 05-25-2020, 10:09 AM.

Comment

A vaccine may never happen. There are many viruses and diseases without a vaccine, such as HIV, respiratory syncytial virus, the cancer-causing Epstein-Barr virus, Chagas disease (American trypanosomiasis), Chikungunya
              Dengue, Cytomegalovirus, Hookworm infection, Leishmaniasis, Malaria, Respiratory Syncytial Virus, Schistosomiasis that kill millions of people every year. Football will have to adjust or perhaps never play again.

Comment

[QUOTE=IUPbigINDIANS;n509609]

This is D2. Restrictions on crowd sizes really don't matter (with very few exceptions). Assume a stadium is only permitted 50% occupancy????. How many of our teams even average near 50% occupany? Not many. They could limit it to 33% occupancy and it really wouldn't matter on most days.

All our stadiums probably average 4,000 to 4,500 seats. And, every Saturday, at least half of them are empty (on average).

Ave Capacity % of Cap
                West Chester 5,639 7,500 75
                Shepherd 4,787 5,000 96
                Slippery Rock 4,584 10,000 46
                Shippensburg 4,428 7,700 58
                Kutztown 3,777 5,600 67
                Edinboro 3,280 7,000 47
                Indiana 3,162 6,500 49
                California 2,698 5,000 54
                Clarion 2,273 6,000 38
                Bloomsburg 2,206 4,775 46
                Millersville 1,873 6,500 29
                Mercyhurst rst 1,837 2,300 80
                E Stroudsburg 1,758 6,000 29
                Gannon 1,380 2,500 55
                Seton Hill 794 5,000 16
                Lock Haven 712 3,000 24
                Source: School sites

Comment

A vaccine may never happen. There are many viruses and diseases without a vaccine, such as HIV, respiratory syncytial virus, the cancer-causing Epstein-Barr virus, Chagas disease (American trypanosomiasis), Chikungunya
                  Dengue, Cytomegalovirus, Hookworm infection, Leishmaniasis, Malaria, Respiratory Syncytial Virus, Schistosomiasis that kill millions of people every year. Football will have to adjust or perhaps never play again.
                  Yes, it's possible that there is no vaccine. But I think there will be. The main reason for hope is our experience with other viruses in the "coronavirus family." We have dealt with other similar viruses ( the dangerous part of this one is the transmissability). Plus, while it may be mutating to a certain extent it doesn't mutate that much, for example in comparison to influenze which mutates a lot. Also, the sheer number of scientists and companies working on it and the money behind the effort.

Clearly, the United States should be part of the international effort to develop a vaccine.

Comment

You're right inasmuch as nobody's right (and nobody's wrong). Fortuitously, many of the PSAC schools are in rural, small town areas. I think the incidence will be low enough, and hopefully there will be testing available and increased contact tracing to enable activities like intercollegiate sports.

I've been a hardliner on this, too, but you need to take into consideration the movement to open up. It's very strong and the science/medical community can't hold it back. We do have to find ways to live with it.

Comment

Some info on PIAA sports.

https://cumberlink.com/sports/high-s...bd9a99055.html

Comment

Pennsylvania and Big Ten schools plans for reopening: https://www.collegian.psu.edu/news/c...20fe5e35a.html
                        Reading this article tells me that for once small town colleges will get something of a break. In Pa the schools with the worst outlook are those in the Philly metro area and to a lesser extent the Pittsburgh/Allegheny county area. I can't see how the Big 5 and others in Philly can consider anything close to normality when the 5 counties, PHILA, BUCKS, MONTY, CHES, DELA, account for 55% of the statewide cases and 60% of the statewide deaths. By contrast the Pgh metro 6 counties, ALLEG, ARMS, BEAV, BUT, WEST, WASH, come in with only 4.7% of cases and 5.6% of deaths. Other than PITT, DUQ, and CMU, I'd say the many small colleges scattered West of the mountains should plan to start up with sensible testing, spacing and tracing plans in place.

Comment

Since this is the 2nd Daily Collegian article you posted I was wondering if you saw this one about Scott Moore in Lock Haven. A little off-topic but ...

https://www.collegian.psu.edu/sports...UbAJ3-n1uy_DcM

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Since this is the 2nd Daily Collegian article you posted I was wondering if you saw this one about Scott Moore in Lock Haven. A little off-topic but ...

https://www.collegian.psu.edu/sports...UbAJ3-n1uy_DcM
                            I guess there is no wrestling forum to post on now. I haven't heard much about Bloom recruiting.

Comment

I guess there is no wrestling forum to post on now. I haven't heard much about Bloom recruiting.
                              LHU is bringing in a super class.mostly high schoolers from PA, JC runner up from Iowa and they picked up two of ODU's recruits when ODU dropped their program. A lot of high national rankings. We will probably have a dedicated thread on themat.com for the MAC when it all gets back in gear. Of course nobody knows how wrestling will deal with the current situation.

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

You're right inasmuch as nobody's right (and nobody's wrong). Fortuitously, many of the PSAC schools are in rural, small town areas. I think the incidence will be low enough, and hopefully there will be testing available and increased contact tracing to enable activities like intercollegiate sports.

I've been a hardliner on this, too, but you need to take into consideration the movement to open up. It's very strong and the science/medical community can't hold it back. We do have to find ways to live with it.
                                The "movement" to open up is a very vocal minority of people. They're misrepresenting this as a political issue, rather than a public health issue...Plus the President of Michigan (an immunologist by the way) says absolutely no football if students aren't in the classroom...

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X