Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

The "movement" to open up is a very vocal minority of people. They're misrepresenting this as a political issue, rather than a public health issue...Plus the President of Michigan (an immunologist by the way) says absolutely no football if students aren't in the classroom...
    If he cancels football for the Wolverines and the rest of the BIG 10 plays ... he won't be president at Michigan much longer. What's a lost football season worth to Ann Arbor? He won't be able to leave his house without getting attacked. They'll demand he's booted out of there immediately. It's easy for him to be PC right now. But, when those dollar signs start becoming very real -- and he's under extreme public backlash ... we'll see what stance he takes.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

If he cancels football for the Wolverines and the rest of the BIG 10 plays ... he won't be president at Michigan much longer. What's a lost football season worth to Ann Arbor? He won't be able to leave his house without getting attacked. They'll demand he's booted out of there immediately. It's easy for him to be PC right now. But, when those dollar signs start becoming very real -- and he's under extreme public backlash ... we'll see what stance he takes.
      He's an immunologist! Why would anyone listen to someone who knows what they're talking about?! Michigan deals with Billions in $$$...Football is a drop in their bucket believe it or not...

Comment

The "movement" to open up is a very vocal minority of people. They're misrepresenting this as a political issue, rather than a public health issue...Plus the President of Michigan (an immunologist by the way) says absolutely no football if students aren't in the classroom...
        We agree on most of this. Definitely, the anti-authority part of it is a vocal minority. But the thing is that the broader open-up movement is supported by the business community and those business interests have a lot of power. It's also supported by rural areas. In Pennsylvania, I don't even think it's a minority in many of the rural counties. In PSAC'ese I;m talking Bloomsburg to Clarion down to Slippery Rock and back to Shippensburg. Those people want to move on, rightly or wrongly.

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

We agree on most of this. Definitely, the anti-authority part of it is a vocal minority. But the thing is that the broader open-up movement is supported by the business community and those business interests have a lot of power. It's also supported by rural areas. In Pennsylvania, I don't even think it's a minority in many of the rural counties. In PSAC'ese I;m talking Bloomsburg to Clarion down to Slippery Rock and back to Shippensburg. Those people want to move on, rightly or wrongly.
          Spent the weekend at my cabin in Cook Forest. It was as crowded as I've ever seen the area. I may have saw two masks the entire weekend. It didn't feel like old times. It was old times. Every campground up there (there's a lot) was packed to the rim. Clear Creek State Park was sold out. Never saw it that full in my life.

Comment

That's right. My daughter was camping up there in Warren county on the New York boarder. The place was jammed .
            It wasn't normal but above normal... old times.

Comment

Define "vocal minority" - because it sounds like you want the country to remain in lockdown until, I don't know, November. Because your vision is unrealistic nationally.

And, people are within their rights to represent this as a political issue when governors in Democrat-controlled states like Pennsylvania, Virginia, Michigan and Illinois abuse their executive powers where other states are at least reopening their states slowly and smartly. Just because people don't agree with your line of thinking, that doesn't mean you get to dismiss legitimate concerns as misrepresenting what's at stake.
              Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Who doesn't want to move on?! I just want to be absolutely sure that plans and policies are in place to keep students and staff safe. We can't talk about games without any of that.

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

Define "vocal minority" - because it sounds like you want the country to remain in lockdown until, I don't know, November. Because your vision is unrealistic nationally.

And, people are within their rights to represent this as a political issue when governors in Democrat-controlled states like Pennsylvania, Virginia, Michigan and Illinois abuse their executive powers where other states are at least reopening their states slowly and smartly. Just because people don't agree with your line of thinking, that doesn't mean you get to dismiss legitimate concerns as misrepresenting what's at stake.
                  When have I EVER given a date?! I just want students to be kept safe. Right now I don't see the plans and policies to do that. Simple as that

Comment

Here it is on paper...

https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/cha...quirements.pdf

Comment

Who doesn't want to move on?! I just want to be absolutely sure that plans and policies are in place to keep students and staff safe. We can't talk about games without any of that.

When have I EVER given a date?! I just want students to be kept safe. Right now I don't see the plans and policies to do that. Simple as that
                      So what exactly do you mean? As someone in another thread asked, what number of deaths is acceptable?

Comment

Schools can have lots of plans and policies -- from about 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. every day. They all go out the window, however, once the sun goes down. At that point, we're expecting college-aged, hormone- and alcohol-filled young adults to social distance and refrain from crowded parties, etc. Good luck with that one.

I could see the Tri-Lambs requiring masks. Not so much the Alpha Beta's.

Comment

Originally posted by Horror Child View Post

So what exactly do you mean? As someone in another thread asked, what number of deaths is acceptable?
                          I don't think ANY deaths of college athletes is acceptable in this circumstance. That may be seen as unreasonable, but as a parent of two kids, I'd want them kept as far away from danger as humanly possible. I'm really beginning to wonder whether some of you know what a pandemic is...
                          Last edited by WarriorVoice; 05-28-2020, 09:45 AM.

Comment

I don't think ANY deaths of college athletes is acceptable in this circumstance. That may be seen as unreasonable, but as a parent of two kids, I'd want them kept as far away from danger as humanly possible.
                            Along that theory ... many kids are only in college because of their football scholarship. If football season goes on and they (some players) elect not to play ... will schools be forced to honor their scholarship? I kind of doubt it. They'll likely just be replaced from the portal.

That's going to be a real item here in the coming weeks.

If many schools play (likely) ... those who don't will be decimated by players leaving town on the first train out.

Even in the D2 level ... West Chester can't play the PSAC schools playing will get flooded with their cast-aways.

If they do cancel football all together (highly unlikely), we'll see many, many programs take the dirt nap.

Comment

I don't think ANY deaths of college athletes is acceptable in this circumstance. That may be seen as unreasonable, but as a parent of two kids, I'd want them kept as far away from danger as humanly possible. I'm really beginning to wonder whether some of you know what a pandemic is...
                              Actually the deaths of ANY COLLEGE STUDENT due to C19 is unacceptable. Setting aside athletics, any gathering of students, professors and administrators is a potentially lethal mix. If the government and university administration decide that they are reasonably prepared to open for classes, the decision falls to the students and their families. Go if you are confident or sign up for on-line classes. Ultimately this falls on the consumers. Go or don't go, stay in dorms or commute, play football or study only. It on us now. Make a decision.

Comment

But what are theplans and policies that would ensure such safety?

Regarding your passion for safety Traumatic Brain and Spinal Cord Fatalities Among High School and College Football Players And no one wants football more than you do.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X