Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Obviously the guy is pushing his view on it. I just thought it interesting the comparison and contrast of this pandemic to others is all.
    GO HUSKIES!

Comment

Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post
      Plus the insinuation that my wanting "football more than anyone" has anything to do with concussions spinal cord injuries is bizarre to say the least.
      What "insinuation"? You wrote it yourself!!!!

That's one player per car with a driver. That's the ONLY way that works...And we haven't solved the locker room issue...You're also asking people to sign away any risk? Who's doing that?! No one wants football more than I do, but it just isn't safe for the players yet. We're also asking them to take a risk they might not be willing to...
      So let's not relate it to concussions and spinal cord injuries, but deaths. You require no deaths from coronavirus, but from 2011-2017, there have been an average 4.5 direct deaths and over 11 indirect deaths every year from football at all levels.

IUP24 stated the obvious point that I was making. There is risk in everything. It's safer to drive 15 mph, but we go 70 mph on highways.

Comment

You insinuated that my "wanting football" causes concussions and spinal cord injuries. Of course there's a risk of injury from playing football. Putting student-athletes at risk of contracting a deadly virus is a completely different subject. Why is that so hard to comprehend??

Comment

You insinuated that my "wanting football" causes concussions and spinal cord injuries. Of course there's a risk of injury from playing football. Putting student-athletes at risk of contracting a deadly virus is a completely different subject. Why is that so hard to comprehend??

Comment

Here are the PA stats: ages 13-18 make up for 2% of the cases in PA, while ages 19-24 make up 6% of the cases in PA. Exactly what age group are you referring to? You have to be 12 or younger to get to less than 1%. Yes, I know that the hospitalization rate for ages 19-24 is just 1%, but I wouldn't advise my son or daughter to take those odds. I'll grant you the percentages are small, but to say ANY age group isn't affected is just patently false. Would a wrestler go into a wrestling room with staph infection, even if his chances of getting it were 1%? I doubt it.
            Last edited by WarriorVoice; 06-02-2020, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Here are the PA stats: ages 13-18 make up for 2% of the cases in PA, while ages 19-24 make up 6% of the cases in PA. Exactly what age group are you referring to? You have to be 12 or younger to get to less than 1%. Yes, I know that the hospitalization rate for ages 19-24 is just 1%, but I wouldn't advise my son or daughter to take those odds. I'll grant you the percentages are small, but to say ANY age group isn't affected is just patently false. Would a wrestler go into a wrestling room with staph infection, even if his chances of getting it were 1%? I doubt it.
              You proved the point that many on here have been trying to make. "I wouldn't advise my son or daughter to take those odds." As a parent. As an individual. As whoever. We all make choices in life. There's risk in everything that we do. It's time for individuals to make their own choices regarding this matter. The chances of us being killed in a car accident driving to the grocery store are higher than catching a deadly virus while inside the grocery store. But we all still drive to the grocery store and accept that risk.

There is no vaccine. It might be years before we get one. There might never be one, in fact. To paraphrase IUPBigIndians, life will go on or it wont, but I'm willing to bet it will go on.

And if life goes on, specifically for East Stroudsburg University and their athletic department... I suppose you have a decision to make.. Will you grab the microphone or not? You don't need to answer that here. But we'll hear what your answer was.

Comment

What was this argument about? I don't remember.

What I do know is that spinal cord injuries aren't contagious. Take that FWIW.

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

The state of the PSAC and likelihood of the conference having football. Specifically, the "what-if" of certain schools being permitted to play sports in the fall and others not because of the counties in which they are located. That's exactly how this discussion started.

What I do know is that there isn't a vaccine and there may never be one. Take that FWIW.

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Personally ... give me the virus over a spinal injury any day of the week.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

The state of the PSAC and likelihood of the conference having football. Specifically, the "what-if" of certain schools being permitted to play sports in the fall and others not because of the counties in which they are located. That's exactly how this discussion started.

What I do know is that there isn't a vaccine and there may never be one. Take that FWIW.
                      What will be interesting is how the NCAA attempts to protect any program than can't play. Beleive me, the day Syracuse or West Chester announces no season ... that's blood in the water. The sharks will be there the next day -- officially or unofficially.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

What will be interesting is how the NCAA attempts to protect any program than can't play. Beleive me, the day Syracuse or West Chester announces no season ... that's blood in the water. The sharks will be there the next day -- officially or unofficially.
                        Undoubtedly they already are, unofficially, making back channel (parents, coaches etc) connections. That kid that committed to WCU may be getting worried that the RAMS will even be on the field. My expectation is that teams that decide to play will test every MONDAY and any player who tests positive is sidelined until his test comes back negative. He also would have to isolate at home and take on line classes. Early season positives could consider the RS option. Going to be a truly strange year.

Comment

• Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

Undoubtedly they already are, unofficially, making back channel (parents, coaches etc) connections. That kid that committed to WCU may be getting worried that the RAMS will even be on the field. My expectation is that teams that decide to play will test every MONDAY and any player who tests positive is sidelined until his test comes back negative. He also would have to isolate at home and take on line classes. Early season positives could consider the RS option. Going to be a truly strange year.
                          No doubt. The day a school announces they aren't playing the portal will get blown up.

Comment

• I read in another thread that 2 Marshall players have tested positive. I've been told that if that happens during the season, the player would be quarantined for 2 weeks. How many players can a team afford to lose? How many players test positive before things get shut down again?

Comment

• I read in another thread that 2 Marshall FB players have tested positive. I've been told that if that happens during the season, the player would be quarantined for 2 weeks. How many players can a team afford to lose? How many players test positive before things get shut down again?

Comment

• Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post
                                I read in another thread that 2 Marshall players have tested positive. I've been told that if that happens during the season, the player would be quarantined for 2 weeks. How many players can a team afford to lose? How many players test positive before things get shut down again?
                                Really not how many but which players. With most rosters around 80-90 players, a mix of 40 1st, 2nd and bench could probably sit down without major consequences. Beyond that it would be time to toss it in.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X