Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When we have to shutdown a second time, maybe we'll ALL take it seriously...

Comment

Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post
      When we have to shutdown a second time, maybe we'll ALL take it seriously...
      Sad to say but this medical emergency has morphed into a political struggle in which some are taking it seriously and others feel they aren't free enough if they are asked to sacrifice for the common good. Curiously where I live in NYC several miles from the US epicenter things are cautious, calm and cooperative. The CITIBANK branch across the street sets up lines outside with spacing and mask requirements that are observed and everyone gets their business done. About half the businesses in the area are functioning. ST JOHN'S UNIVERSITY is about a mile away and I'm not sure what their plans are for the fall but I expect they'll be up and running come September. A great deal is possible IF everyone is on the same page. No idea if that is achievable.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

Sad to say but this medical emergency has morphed into a political struggle in which some are taking it seriously and others feel they aren't free enough if they are asked to sacrifice for the common good. Curiously where I live in NYC several miles from the US epicenter things are cautious, calm and cooperative. The CITIBANK branch across the street sets up lines outside with spacing and mask requirements that are observed and everyone gets their business done. About half the businesses in the area are functioning. ST JOHN'S UNIVERSITY is about a mile away and I'm not sure what their plans are for the fall but I expect they'll be up and running come September. A great deal is possible IF everyone is on the same page. No idea if that is achievable.

Comment

What number of deaths is acceptable, just so we know exactly where you stand?!

Comment

What number of deaths is acceptable, just so we know exactly where you stand?!
            People are becoming used to the stats and less worried about C19 than financial catastrophe. America routinely accepts 40,000 automobile, 40,000 gun and 480,000 cigarette deaths per year in the US. They will not passively accept the destruction of their good life even if there is a significant chance of death. Especially in states and cities that have had only nominal outbreaks. It's actually human nature to fight back rather than hide when challenged. Time will tell if it's the correct response.

Comment

People are becoming used to the stats and less worried about C19 than financial catastrophe. America routinely accepts 40,000 automobile, 40,000 gun and 480,000 cigarette deaths per year in the US. They will not passively accept the destruction of their good life even if there is a significant chance of death. Especially in states and cities that have had only nominal outbreaks. It's actually human nature to fight back rather than hide when challenged. Time will tell if it's the correct response.
              Sure. But there is one word we kept hearing in the beginning and we don't hear it too much lately and that is "exponential."

The spread just takes off. If we let our guards down prematurely it is probably going to spike exponentially again. Judging by the pictures I just saw from around the country on the news of masses of people acting like the virus no longer exists or can't affect them I think we might be in deep doo-doo here in America in the coming weeks.

America, as a whole, is too undisciplined. I think we just turned over the ball and the virus is poised to take it to the house.

I really hope I'm wrong but that's what I see based on what I've been told about the virus over the last couple of months.

And maybe a person doesn't die. I don't want to get it. I've seen too many accounts from people who had it pretty bad talking about gasping to breathe and thinking they were going to die even if they didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Sure. But there is one word we kept hearing in the beginning and we don't hear it too much lately and that is "exponential."

The spread just takes off. If we let our guards down prematurely it is probably going to spike exponentially again. Judging by the pictures I just saw from around the country on the news of masses of people acting like the virus no longer exists or can't affect them I think we might be in deep doo-doo here in America in the coming weeks.

America, as a whole, is too undisciplined. I think we just turned over the ball and the virus is poised to take it to the house.

I really hope I'm wrong but that's what I see based on what I've been told about the virus over the last couple of months.

And maybe a person doesn't die. I don't want to get it. I've seen too many accounts from people who had it pretty bad talking about gasping to breathe and thinking they were going to die even if they didn't.
                deleted

Comment

deleted
                  Don't worry. You can't offend me.

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Don't worry. You can't offend me.
                    Just bad tech, but thanks for the courtesy.

Comment

You failed to answer the question...Run for office

Comment

Curiously WASHTENAW county has been relatively untouched (2.3% of cases, 1.8% of deaths) by C19, but with 52% of the student body from out of state/country, it is almost a certainty that those numbers will spike in the fall with or without sports.
                        Blue's enrollment is roughly 50% non-Michiganders, and the president is worried that the influx of students from highly affected areas could explode infection rates in the school and local area.

It's sound logic, IMO - whether or not some folks agree with it is another matter.

Comment

You failed to answer the question...Run for office
                          The answer is however many our fellow Americans will accept before they demand action. Unfortunately from my prospective, and I suspect from yours, that number was passed sometime ago. And yet the demand to return to "normal" seems to override the demand to be safe. The people have apparently spoken whether we like it or not.

Comment

The key factor often forgot about here is that the COVID-19 deaths are in addition to those other ones. Without intervention, they would hypothetically overload our healthcare system - meaning more people would die from automobiles, guns, and cigarettes because they can't get the treatment they need. Even worse, the health care system was lacking in personnel before the crisis, but doctors and nurses aren't immune to the disease. They're dying too.

Technically I know more about business and economics than I do pandemics and healthcare, so on that side of it - I'm not a fan of the total shutdowns. We did it, it bought us some time, now let's use a targeted approach to focus our efforts on the areas that need it the most and let people go back to work where it's not as bad. Rotate the shutdowns and reopenings as needed, and hopefully doing that we'll find a balance that will mitigate losses to both life and the economy. Obviously that's much easier said than done, and it will still make both sides unhappy - but it's better than not doing anything.

EDIT: The other thing a lot of people aren't comprehending is how devastating the loss of life will be to the later-life care industry. Nursing homes and assisted living facilities will inevitably close permanently - putting people out of work. They're often forgotten about though in these discussions. That would devastate some local economies.
                            Last edited by SW_Mustang; 05-26-2020, 08:02 AM.

Comment

The answer is however many our fellow Americans will accept before they demand action. Unfortunately from my prospective, and I suspect from yours, that number was passed sometime ago. And yet the demand to return to "normal" seems to override the demand to be safe. The people have apparently spoken whether we like it or not.
                              I think the "demand" is coming from a very vocal minority of people who think this is a political issue and not a public health issue...

Comment

We've slowly become a "me" society. I was living in denial before this, attributing it to a small minority of the population being broadcast on social media - but no, we've become a "me" society.

We're too entitled. We can't be told "no" anymore. We're willing to sacrifice our elders and neighbors for meaningless football games and the "right" to sit in a McDonald's. It's embarrassing.

I remember when 9/11 happened and we came together as a country, for the most part. We grieved for the lives lost and tried to implement protections to prevent it from happening again. The official death toll is 2,977. As of typing this, a reported 99,909 people have died from COVID-19.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X