Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Much of this is about politics. Different people here have different views. Fine, I get it. As has been said already, 30+ million out of work isn't a good thing. Thousands of small businesses never coming back isn't a good thing. The outlook on people's careers and livelihoods being forever changed because of this isn't good. Really bad things are going to happen because of this economic crisis. Poverty causes death and destruction. Food shortages cause violence. Social isolation causes emotional and psychological problems. These issues all kill people. The solution can't be worse than the virus itself. Take that for what it's worth.

It's sad that we live in a period where you can't have more than one opinion. I believe people should go back to work and business owners should be able to open their doors. But I think people are wrong to not wear a face covering in a public place like a grocery store. Yet, I'm viewed as a villain in many circles because I believe things should be opened back up. Ohio is essentially 100% open as of today. I'm not going to bars or restaurants, or partaking in large gatherings, etc. Because that's my choice. I'm not going to begrudge another free-thinking human for doing what they believe is an acceptable level of risk for them personally.

We've all been inconvenienced during this. Some more than others. I'm thankful I'm still employed. I've been able to work through this, but our entire company had to temporarily take significant pay cuts to avoid layoffs. Many haven't been impacted and just simply work from home business as usual. If you haven't missed a paycheck or haven't taken a big pay cut, your belief may be much different.

I guess my point is this... It's okay to want things to be open. It's also okay to not want to go to them even if you wish them open. At some point people have to make their own decisions. And I'll continue to say... There might never be a cure.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

People are becoming used to the stats and less worried about C19 than financial catastrophe. America routinely accepts 40,000 automobile, 40,000 gun and 480,000 cigarette deaths per year in the US. They will not passively accept the destruction of their good life even if there is a significant chance of death. Especially in states and cities that have had only nominal outbreaks. It's actually human nature to fight back rather than hide when challenged. Time will tell if it's the correct response.
      And suicide rates double homicide rates, but few talk about it. We are more likely to kill ourselves, than to be killed by someone else. The news carries the homicide, and rarely a suicide, unless the dead is a celebrity. The yearly stats you give are certainly worth our concern. The issue with this virus is that it has killed 100,000 people not in a year, but in a few months. We'll have to compare stats after a year, when there could be over 300,000 dead by March 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by Bart View Post

And suicide rates double homicide rates, but few talk about it. We are more likely to kill ourselves, than to be killed by someone else. The news carries the homicide, and rarely a suicide, unless the dead is a celebrity. The yearly stats you give are certainly worth our concern. The issue with this virus is that it has killed 100,000 people not in a year, but in a few months. We'll have to compare stats after a year, when there could be over 300,000 dead by March 2021.
        My main point is that these are all disastrous stats but that eventually human nature tends to become numb to the reality. I'm old enough to remember when the first fatality was reported in a "police action" in an Asian country I'd never heard of. Everyone was stunned and eventually the numbers were tens and then hundreds until no was really paying attention as the cumulative total was thousands. The psyche of the nation can only tolerate so much bad news until it shifts it's attention to other matters. In this instance we're reaching the point were the economic catastrophe is worse in people's minds than the medical one. My neighborhood in Queens is still fighting to control the outbreak but I can't say the same is true for Charleroi or Belle Vernon.

Comment

Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

You failed to answer the question...Run for office
          Translation: "You didn't answer the question the way I wanted you to."

Dude, you're making IUP Nation look conservative with your recent rants.
          Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by Sec10-A-14 View Post

So true living it the DFW Tx area, knew a guy from FT worth who hated NYC. When asked if he ever visited, he replied, he's "never been to Dallas, too far East for him". The DFW metroplex stretches about 60 mile wide and if you're on the LBJ during rush hour you may never get there.
            Reminds me of a story about former Fort Worth tycoon Amon Carter, who reportedly packed his own lunch whenever he had to travel to Dallas because he didn't want to spend money in that city, or something like that (I'd have to google the link at some point), but that's pretty much been the attitude of people in Fort Worth compared to Dallas.
            Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

Translation: "You didn't answer the question the way I wanted you to."

Dude, you're making IUP Nation look conservative with your recent rants.
              I'm not ranting at all. I'm giving you cold hard facts. No bias, no politics. Keeping students safe is the #1 priority in my mind, and all the talk of partial seasons or full seasons is pure fantasy right now. No rant, just reality.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

My main point is that these are all disastrous stats but that eventually human nature tends to become numb to the reality. I'm old enough to remember when the first fatality was reported in a "police action" in an Asian country I'd never heard of. Everyone was stunned and eventually the numbers were tens and then hundreds until no was really paying attention as the cumulative total was thousands. The psyche of the nation can only tolerate so much bad news until it shifts it's attention to other matters. In this instance we're reaching the point were the economic catastrophe is worse in people's minds than the medical one. My neighborhood in Queens is still fighting to control the outbreak but I can't say the same is true for Charleroi or Belle Vernon.
                I get it. They said we won that war, and now we are being told we won the war against the "invisible enemy". People can be fooled again.

Comment

Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

I'm not ranting at all. I'm giving you cold hard facts. No bias, no politics. Keeping students safe is the #1 priority in my mind, and all the talk of partial seasons or full seasons is pure fantasy right now. No rant, just reality.
                  Just one man's opinion but the sarcastic statement " Run for office" seems both biased and political. But I could be wrong.

Comment

That's ONE way of looking at it, but not the only way IMO.

Comment

Just a couple of observations:

When Friday rolls around much of the state of Pennsylvania will be in the "green" phase and will actually be ahead of Texas in terms of being open. No kidding.

I also find it interesting that wanting to be safe and follow the direction of health officials, whether they are on the state or federal level, is considered to be "liberal." That definitely seems like the conservative approach to me.

Meanwhile, defying government orders and resisting the established authority is considered to be something that the "conservatives" do.

I need to check my Funk & Wagnalls on this. I'm confused.

Comment

One way of looking at the at the virus and how people are beginning to ignore the dangers.

https://www.pressenterpriseonline.co...-a-number-mean

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
                          Just a couple of observations:

When Friday rolls around much of the state of Pennsylvania will be in the "green" phase and will actually be ahead of Texas in terms of being open. No kidding.

I also find it interesting that wanting to be safe and follow the direction of health officials, whether they are on the state or federal level, is considered to be "liberal." That definitely seems like the conservative approach to me.

Meanwhile, defying government orders and resisting the established authority is considered to be something that the "conservatives" do.

I need to check my Funk & Wagnalls on this. I'm confused.
                          Until it happens in Minneapolis, and then the script flips again to fit the narrative. It's not a liberal/conservative issue - everyone's beliefs are for sale, IMO.

Anyway, it's like I said earlier. It's the "me" mentality. "I want it, and anyone that opposes me is the 'bad guy' and believes the opposite that I do." It's really ridiculous.

That all being said, one thing that bothers me is the sheer amount of information being blasted everywhere. Sometimes it comes off as contradictory, which is probably why a lot of people think something "is fishy" with the whole ordeal. I wish news outlets would slow down and take their time and not push out 15 articles every 5 minutes. That might help.

Comment

Originally posted by Bart View Post
                            One way of looking at the at the virus and how people are beginning to ignore the dangers.

https://www.pressenterpriseonline.co...-a-number-mean
                            I've thought about that myself. I also think we've just become accustomed to the new way of life a lot more than we care to admit. The virus doesn't feel like it's dangerous anymore, even though we know it is.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X