Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: MLB

Blake Snell hired Scott Boras today. Interesting.

I don't follow baseball at all but it was interesting how that over 99% of players and their support staff all tested negative for the coronavirus. Can we afford to hold the nation back when that is very likely an accurate sampling of the population at large? I don't have an answer on that of course.
    -

Comment

Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
      I don't follow baseball at all but it was interesting how that over 99% of players and their support staff all tested negative for the coronavirus. Can we afford to hold the nation back when that is very likely an accurate sampling of the population at large? I don't have an answer on that of course.
      -

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
        Blake Snell hired Scott Boras today. Interesting.
        Probably means he'll be a holdout.

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Probably means he'll be a holdout.
          Snell is getting some national backlash as he stated if he's playing a half season ... he still demands a full season pay. He said he refuses to play for half his contract. I beleive he's set to make a big number this year.

When massive amounts of people have no job and he's refusing to play half a year for a measly $3.7m (half his 2020 salary) ... it can be seen as a not great look for MLB players.

Comment

Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
            -
            All it took was one person in the Seattle area, and another in the NYC area to spread the virus that has now killed 100,000 people. All in less than 6 months...

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Snell is getting some national backlash as he stated if he's playing a half season ... he still demands a full season pay. He said he refuses to play for half his contract. I beleive he's set to make a big number this year.

When massive amounts of people have no job and he's refusing to play half a year for a measly $3.7m (half his 2020 salary) ... it can be seen as a not great look for MLB players.
              A contract is a contract! Did he file for unemployment?

Comment

Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

A contract is a contract! Did he file for unemployment?
                Since pro athletes are considered independent contractors, they wouldn't be eligible for unemployment (I'm covering my bases to make sure it wasn't a rhetorical question). That said, I would think that the player's union would've had a contingency fund for such a situation (think "strike fund"). I mean, what the heck else is the union doing with those dues they're collecting from their members?
                Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

Since pro athletes are considered independent contractors, they wouldn't be eligible for unemployment (I'm covering my bases to make sure it wasn't a rhetorical question). That said, I would think that the player's union would've had a contingency fund for such a situation (think "strike fund"). I mean, what the heck else is the union doing with those dues they're collecting from their members?
                  I don't think athletes in the 4 major sports are independent contractors. I think they are employees of the team they play on. They might be independent contractors when it comes to endorsements.

Comment

I don't think athletes in the 4 major sports are independent contractors. I think they are employees of the team they play on. They might be independent contractors when it comes to endorsements.
                    The clearest example is that pro athletes in the 4 major sports are covered by collective bargaining agreements. Independent contractors cannot be covered by a CBA.

Lyft and Uber drivers have challenged that just this year but the crux of the issue is that independent contractors bargaining collectively amounts to collusion. Just sayin'.

Comment

Only MLB can turn a world-wide pandemic in to a labor dispute. My hunch is if they do play, the mega-stars will not.

Comment

The clearest example is that pro athletes in the 4 major sports are covered by collective bargaining agreements. Independent contractors cannot be covered by a CBA.

Lyft and Uber drivers have challenged that just this year but the crux of the issue is that independent contractors bargaining collectively amounts to collusion. Just sayin'.
                        I wasn't sure exactly how that worked. I know some website leaked a photo of an MLB player's paystub which showed what taxes were withheld, so what you're saying probably makes sense. I'm not sure where I heard "independent contractor" from - it was probably something from many years ago.
                        Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Comment

The MLB season will start July 24. They will play a 60-game regular season.

Comment

Exhibition games tomorrow.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X