Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Season is cancelled after 3 weeks...Buy/Sell?!

Comment

Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post
      Season is cancelled after 3 weeks...Buy/Sell?!
      Tough question. I wouldn't want to bet my own money on it. If I was betting yours ... I think they make it a little 'over' the 3 weeks.

Each team has a taxi squad of 40 or so players training at a Minor League facility for call-ups when need be (injuries, Covid-19, etc.).

I give them way better odds than any college sport.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Tough question. I wouldn't want to bet my own money on it. If I was betting yours ... I think they make it a little 'over' the 3 weeks.

Each team has a taxi squad of 40 or so players training at a Minor League facility for call-ups when need be (injuries, Covid-19, etc.).

I'll agree that the odds are better, but how many Minor League players will be needed to fill the spots that are already there?! Over a dozen players have already opted out, and the product will be so watered down...Enjoy extra-inning games with runners on 2nd base to start the inning...That might be the WORST rule change in pro sports history...It's either that or the DH...

Comment

Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

I'll agree that the odds are better, but how many Minor League players will be needed to fill the spots that are already there?! Over a dozen players have already opted out, and the product will be so watered down...Enjoy extra-inning games with runners on 2nd base to start the inning...That might be the WORST rule change in pro sports history...It's either that or the DH...
          I don't agree it will be 'so' watered down. Normal roster is 25 players ... 30 teams. That's 750 players. So, a very tiny percentage have opted out.

Mixed feelings on the extra innings. I'm pro DH.

Now, how will the first fake, jump-around baseball fight go down with social distancing rules? If they can pull it off, it will be good for society.

Comment

Hockey has the best chance of starting and finishing. Those players just want to play. Hockey players are a different breed. They sacrifice every year to win 16 games. They'll do it here too. I don't think anybody breaks the bubble.

The NBA bubble has no chance of working. After what's already happened, most of those guys will say screw this. It's incredible that the conversation of "you expect us to do this without having sex for 3 months" really happened. When I saw that, I knew they were going to struggle lol.

There's too many labor issues (still) with major league players. I give it a few weeks. And they'll just pull the plug. Not because they actually have to, but because the players won't agree to continue playing. A few positive tests will occur and the Sean Doolittle's of the league will start screaming. Those guys have perhaps the safest work place in America. You and I go to work everyday in far more hazardous conditions for peanuts compared to them. Yet, they're the ones complaining. I would bet money they don't make it through August.

Comment

Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

Hockey has the best chance of starting and finishing. Those players just want to play. Hockey players are a different breed. They sacrifice every year to win 16 games. They'll do it here too. I don't think anybody breaks the bubble.

The NBA bubble has no chance of working. After what's already happened, most of those guys will say screw this. It's incredible that the conversation of "you expect us to do this without having sex for 3 months" really happened. When I saw that, I knew they were going to struggle lol.

There's too many labor issues (still) with major league players. I give it a few weeks. And they'll just pull the plug. Not because they actually have to, but because the players won't agree to continue playing. A few positive tests will occur and the Sean Doolittle's of the league will start screaming. Those guys have perhaps the safest work place in America. You and I go to work everyday in far more hazardous conditions for peanuts compared to them. Yet, they're the ones complaining. I would bet money they don't make it through August.
              I think MLB will go the distance. It will be with whichever players are healthy and want to play, even if a lot of them are AAA level players.

I'm looking forward to it. I'm hoping it provides an element of normalcy during this craziness.

Go Phillies!

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

Since pro athletes are considered independent contractors, they wouldn't be eligible for unemployment (I'm covering my bases to make sure it wasn't a rhetorical question). That said, I would think that the player's union would've had a contingency fund for such a situation (think "strike fund"). I mean, what the heck else is the union doing with those dues they're collecting from their members?
                Wrong IRS will let u file as a independent contractor "gig worker" as long as u have proof 1099 etc.

Comment

The Blue Jays will call Pittsburgh's PNC Park home this year.

Comment

Truly wild turn of events. Hope the JAYS players enjoy playing on a real baseball field instead of a multi dome. Remember to order the PRIMANTI'S for the clubhouse.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

Truly wild turn of events. Hope the JAYS players enjoy playing on a real baseball field instead of a multi dome. Remember to order the PRIMANTI'S for the clubhouse.
                      Combine the two 'home teams' and you might have a decent MLB team. Might.

Comment

Combine the two 'home teams' and you might have a decent MLB team. Might.
                        Best world possible for the players. They get paid their crazy $$$ to show up at a beautiful field on a wonderful summer evening and play a game they've loved for a long time really just for the fun of it. Think about going to your local field with your company softball team and meeting that team your neighbor plays for and going at it for 2 hours before breaking out the brew !! EXCEPT you get paid beaucoup bucks and the beers provided......SPORTS HEAVEN !!!

Comment

I have heard Pittsburgh rejected them, so they are still without a home.

Comment

Originally posted by Bart View Post

Yep. KDKA and ESPN jumped the gun earlier today when they posted the news.

Comment

Originally posted by Bart View Post

Actually PA DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH. Fairly certain Pittsburgh is not happy about this.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

Actually PA DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH. Fairly certain Pittsburgh is not happy about this.
                                Sounds like the Blue Jays will be shuffling off to Buffalo and their AAA field.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X