Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The PSAC would've been better off cancelling the OOC games and keeping that third crossover, but then again, The Home Office in Lock Haven makes decisions that are just flat out stupid. And this is one of them.

I'm sure the schools affected by any potential OOC cancellations could be accommodated next season.
    Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post
      The PSAC would've been better off cancelling the OOC games and keeping that third crossover, but then again, The Home Office in Lock Haven makes decisions that are just flat out stupid. And this is one of them.

I'm sure the schools affected by any potential OOC cancellations could be accommodated next season.
      Offices don't make decisions, people do. So by "The Home Office", do you mean the commissioner? Why do find this decision flat out stupid?

There's a chance that all of the schools were asked if they could or would be willing to give up their non-conference game, and a majority said "no". This approach balances travel costs for all the schools for the season (west at east in now week 3, east at west in week 11), allows all the schools to play the minimum required for playoff consideration (7 games), and permits schools that want to play the maximum permitted games (10) to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

IUP @ Shepherd in week 3. That would be a bummer to lose that one. Shepherd would avoid potentially IUP and Rock, save for the potential championship weekend where they are currently slated to see Rock in that last week.
        That would really suck if fans are allowed to attend games; I was planning on going to that game. It would be the first time I attended an IUP football game since I was a grad student at IUP in the late 1990s.

Comment

Originally posted by Horror Child View Post

Offices don't make decisions, people do. So by "The Home Office", do you mean the commissioner? Why do find this decision flat out stupid?

There's a chance that all of the schools were asked if they could or would be willing to give up their non-conference game, and a majority said "no". This approach balances travel costs for all the schools for the season (west at east in now week 3, east at west in week 11), allows all the schools to play the minimum required for playoff consideration (7 games), and permits schools that want to play the maximum permitted games (10) to do so.
          No contracts to wiggle out of either.

Comment

Originally posted by CHIP72 View Post

That would really suck if fans are allowed to attend games; I was planning on going to that game. It would be the first time I attended an IUP football game since I was a grad student at IUP in the late 1990s.
            Cancelling IUP at Shepherd no doubt has a trickle down. Obviously one of them was taking a loss in that game. So, each now avoids a real tough game in mid-September -- and one avoids a loss in a shortened season.

With Kutztown, Shepherd and West Chester on the original crossover ... I doubt cancelling that game broke Tort's heart.

If they both perform they'll run in to each other next year eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

The PSAC has no say in OOC games. That and the contract issue HC mentioned would be two less than stupid reasons for making the decision to eliminate a conference game.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I wasn't really being sarcastic. Millersville and IUP have 9 games. Make it happen.

Obviously not real appealing to the Ville but a game is a game.
                I am sure Millersville will take their ball and run. Don't believe they will do IUP another favor after they switched home games with IUP to keep the Hawks from playing 3 straight road games. But hey, we shall see.

Comment

IMO, the PSAC made the correct decision to drop the games scheduled for 9.19. It was the only cross-over week that was split with four games in the east and four in the west. Had they dropped week 2 or week 11, one of the divisions (8 teams) would have been down to four games. By cutting the 9.19 games, only four teams get stuck with four home games.

Dropping week one could have worked, but schools have a lot invested in scheduling those OOC games and they may not have wanted to lose them. Not sure if any PSAC teams are playing an FCS opponent this year, but if so, they'll need that payout now more than ever.

That said, it looks like several teams have also cancelled their week 1 games. Bloomsburg, Clarion, Millersville and Edinboro have all updated their schedules to begin 9.19 and play for nine weeks. Others may have as well, and IUP was already open in week one. IMO, these decisions make sense. Starting later means that camp can open later and that reduces the amount of time that the campus has to be open to support athletes before the rest of the student body reports.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Bitner View Post
                    IMO, the PSAC made the correct decision to drop the games scheduled for 9.19. It was the only cross-over week that was split with four games in the east and four in the west. Had they dropped week 2 or week 11, one of the divisions (8 teams) would have been down to four games. By cutting the 9.19 games, only four teams get stuck with four home games.

Dropping week one could have worked, but schools have a lot invested in scheduling those OOC games and they may not have wanted to lose them. Not sure if any PSAC teams are playing an FCS opponent this year, but if so, they'll need that payout now more than ever.

That said, it looks like several teams have also cancelled their week 1 games. Bloomsburg, Clarion, Millersville and Edinboro have all updated their schedules to begin 9.19 and play for nine weeks. Others may have as well, and IUP was already open in week one. IMO, these decisions make sense. Starting later means that camp can open later and that reduces the amount of time that the campus has to be open to support athletes before the rest of the student body reports.
                    Thanks for your great reporting, Chuck. Hopefully we'll actually have some football to talk about in September...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Bitner View Post
                      . IMO, these decisions make sense. Starting later means that camp can open later and that reduces the amount of time that the campus has to be open to support athletes before the rest of the student body reports.
                      I have heard Bloom's camp starts August 8th, which seems about the usual time. Classes start August 17th, which is a week earlier than usual.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X