Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

That must have been one heck of an argument. Lol.
    Some people can't handle being told they're wrong, especially when the argument is revealed to be facts vs emotion. I believe this may have been over the Cal football scandal, the grand illusion that came with it, and the defeat of Armenti's Army. Turns out the Luckhardt era at Cal was as well constructed as that parking garage.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Some people can't handle being told they're wrong, especially when the argument is revealed to be facts vs emotion. I believe this may have been over the Cal football scandal, the grand illusion that came with it, and the defeat of Armenti's Army. Turns out the Luckhardt era at Cal was as well constructed as that parking garage.
      It certainly had 'house of cards' written all over it. Obviously they've sustained some football success. But, to go from that bad for decades to world-beaters seemingly overnight ... smoke there's fire. Cal still has good football teams today but nothing like those 10 years ago.

No doubt they got some outstanding 'baggage' players (somehow) admitted. But, that approach is a ticking timebomb. You can only cover stuff up so long -- and, eventually a 'football strong' type event (or, credit cards) happens that cannot be covered up. They even took one of the kids in the middle of the infamous Steubenville rape case as soon as he got out.

Then of course you get in to the creative finances.

Looking back they are very fortunate to have escaped without some major sanctions (or jail time).

Comment

It certainly had 'house of cards' written all over it. Obviously they've sustained some football success. But, to go from that bad for decades to world-beaters seemingly overnight ... smoke there's fire. Cal still has good football teams today but nothing like those 10 years ago.

No doubt they got some outstanding 'baggage' players (somehow) admitted. But, that approach is a ticking timebomb. You can only cover stuff up so long -- and, eventually a 'football strong' type event (or, credit cards) happens that cannot be covered up. They even took one of the kids in the middle of the infamous Steubenville rape case as soon as he got out.

Then of course you get in to the creative finances.

Looking back they are very fortunate to have escaped without some major sanctions (or jail time).
        Yeah it was a mess. I wonder what drove Armenti to downshift after so many years already as Cal president. A lot of people suspect that it was a big regional donor like Hardy or Eberly. The Ganassis have a Cal U connection - Annette was on their CoT for years. I don't think Armenti did anything illegal - he just blatantly went against PASSHE rules, pissed off the faculty, and tried taking on the PASSHE BoG. The basic scheme was putting nearly all unallocated athletic scholarship dollars into football. A PASSHE financial loophole at the time was that there was a short window of time at the fiscal year transition that you can hurry through spending using "unrestricted net assets" (unspent tuition and donor dollars). So there were big upgrades coming to football each summer: buying blocks of TV time on FSN Pittsburgh to broadcast games, paying local sportscasters to call those games, hiring a former Pitt head coach, stadium upgrades, that effing skycam, etc. Lucky's son suddenly went from State Farm agent to Director of Athletics Development or similar without any experience in higher ed or fundraising. When Armenti was fired, Luckhardt retired just weeks later. Its hard to see the two as unrelated.

But Cal had built itself a reputation locally and some rapport with coaches as a place that can get you NFL looks. They took a ton of toxic guys and even stuck their necks out for them. When star QB Josh Portis was arrested for using a stolen credit card, his attorney was the same who represented Armenti. For me, the real kicker was when they took Jeff Knox, who even Wannstedt kicked off the Pitt team when he smacked up his girlfriend for telling him she was pregnant with his kid. But he had NFL potential and the Cal staff had a lust for beating IUP and winning a national championship. As you may recall, Knox was recently charged with attempted murder after shooting someone on East Carson Street.

Comment

I recall that there was this one, solitary poster who kept sounding the alarm and nobody believed him until the house of cards finally came tumbling down. What was that guy's name?

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

I recall that there was this one, solitary poster who kept sounding the alarm and nobody believed him until the house of cards finally came tumbling down. What was that guy's name?
            BoatCapt?

Comment

BoatCapt?
              Yeah, maybe.

Comment

• Thoughts on the Eagles tanking that game the other night?

Comment

Thoughts on the Eagles tanking that game the other night?
                  I don't, but I don't think the Steelers will pursue Carson Wentz. They should but they won't. Ironically, Tomlin undervalues guys from below the Power 5 especially sub FBS.

Comment

I stopped watching the Eagles last week when they were essentially eliminated from the post-season so I didn't see the Washington game. It's hard for anybody from that division to complain about anything playoff-related.

As for Wentz, Hurts played with the same O-line and the same receivers. It was like night and day. There were a lot of important things Wentz wasn't doing and I think his future as a starting QB is questionable.

Comment

I stopped watching the Eagles last week when they were essentially eliminated from the post-season so I didn't see the Washington game. It's hard for anybody from that division to complain about anything playoff-related.

As for Wentz, Hurts played with the same O-line and the same receivers. It was like night and day. There were a lot of important things Wentz wasn't doing and I think his future as a starting QB is questionable.
                      The end was awful. They put the third team QB in to tank the comeback. Eagles' defensive players had to be restrained from the head coach. National laughingstock.

Comment

The end was awful. They put the third team QB in to tank the comeback. Eagles' defensive players had to be restrained from the head coach. National laughingstock.
                        I understand it put them in a higher position for the draft.

Comment

That it did.

Comment

• As I watched the game I had the feeling that Filthy was mailing it in and had basically just going through the motions. They could have gone for the FG and maybe forced an OT and at least make the WFT at least break a sweat to lock up the division. I was pulling for Washington, being in their TV and new region, and was somewhat content that they made the playoffs. I suspect they'll get worked pretty good by the Bucs. Long suffering fans of the WFT are happy for a week at least. It's an odd area for pro football down here in the panhandle. There seems to be pretty fair split between Steeler and Washington fans. For regional broadcasts, we are in the Washington and Baltimore region. When they play, they are on TV over the Steelers.

Comment

From the nine spot to the six spot. That is a big difference.

I still remember the time back in '88 when the Stillers were at a dismal 2-10 and then went out and won 3 of their last 4 and in the process cost themselves a chance to draft a Hall of Famer like Troy Aikman, Barry Sanders, Deion Sanders, or Derrick Thomas. That still is tough to take. Thomas would have been great in black and gold. Or imagine your two starting CBs named Rod Woodson and Deion?

Comment

I would really hate to see Nate Sudfeld play for IUP even. Was that for real? But Iggles fans will be happy with the higher pick come April.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X