Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
    Also, because the pursuit of money knows no bounds, it will likely trickle down to lower division football, too. It's possible that the D2 superstars could do it. Why not? What if Max Redfield would have opted out of the playoffs for IUP in 2017? Does that sound like an unrealistic scenario to you?
    It does, because almost no D2 players are ever drafted in the 1st round of the NFL Draft, partly because they play at the D2 level and scouts question their level of competition.

Comment

• Originally posted by CHIP72 View Post

It does, because almost no D2 players are ever drafted in the 1st round of the NFL Draft, partly because they play at the D2 level and scouts question their level of competition.
      I don't see how the round would make a difference. It's all just speculation, anyway, but the 1st time it happens I'll be sure to remind the board of this conversation.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
        It's possible that the D2 superstars could do it. Why not? What if Max Redfield would have opted out of the playoffs for IUP in 2017?Does that sound like an unrealistic scenario to you?
        Completely unrealistic.

D2 players have a hard enough time getting attention. Sitting out the playoffs would be a good way to make it worse.
        http://www.indianagazette.com
        www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

With the former question, do some research on Buffalo Bills defensive lineman Ed Oliver when he played college football at Houston.
          I was actually watching the game when Oliver and his coach got into the argument about the jacket. Anyway, he basically gave up on his season because of a knee injury and he didn't want to risk his draft stock. We can only assume if he wasn't hurt he would have played the whole season, so unless you know something that wasn't reported, I'm not sure what your point is.

Originally posted by CHIP72 View Post
          With the latter question, the answer is likely "no" for two reasons: 1) basketball isn't as physical a sport where players are prone to serious injuries due to what other players do to their bodies (rather than what the players do to their own bodies) and 2) many really good basketball players enter the NBA after 1-2 years of college. In college football, players are restricted from entering the NFL until three years after they graduate high school or if they graduate college early.
          Sure, basketball players are less likely to suffer catastrophic injuries. But I can certainly imagine a time when an agent or an uncle or a neighbor gets in a player's ear and says "don't end up like Matt Corral" and then next thing you know, the UNC point guard is gone. And for your other point, that's true but doesn't really apply to this. If a player is an NBA sure-thing, whether he's one year out of high school or four, the fear of getting hurt and losing draft capital is very real.

Comment

I wonder what John Mobley would have done if Kutztown was in the 1995 playoffs. He probably would have played, since he went on to play in the Senior Bowl

Comment

• Originally posted by Bart View Post

I wonder what John Mobley would have done if Kutztown was in the 1995 playoffs. He probably would have played, since he went on to play in the Senior Bowl
              That's 25 years ago. Sitting out was about unheard of back then. Things are much different today with opt-outs, etc.

If you're a sure-fire Round 1, not in the playoff ... it is what it is. It's their millions staring at them. Not us.

Blow a knee in the freaking Peach Bowl and say goodbye to Round 1 ... and a check with many zeroes on it.

These superstars are in college to get to the NFL. As the Ohio State QB said several years ago ... they aren't there to play school.

We'll never see it in the D2 level. The Round 1 guy in D2 is like a pink elephant.

As a fan ... sure, it sucks. I watched Pitt play with its QB3 for 95% of the game. It was awful. But, I can't blame Kenny Pickett. Round 1 is life-altering coin.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bart View Post

Kenny Pickett is playing in the Senior Bowl.

(I think Mobley would have played, too. But not because of the Senior Bowl. Probably because he knew the tough road D2 players face.)

Comment

• Well, Kutztown didn't lose their head coach to Lafayette, but they did lose their DC to the Leopards.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                    Well, Kutztown didn't lose their head coach to Lafayette, but they did lose their DC to the Leopards.
                    If Lehigh doesn't vastly improve next season I think Clements takes that job and KU will have to either promote Quarterman to HC or he'll leave with Clements to go to Lehigh.

Comment

I somehow missed that Fraud Graham was now at Hawaii - and its already a sh!t show. His own son has entered the portal.
                      19 players have entered the portal this year. The state senate held a hearing to investigate claims players made online. Yikes.

Comment

19 players have entered the portal this year. The state senate held a hearing to investigate claims players made online. Yikes.
                        Hawaii is doubtful to go to bat for that guy. I assume they'll investigate and terminate him.

One big year at Tulsa a long time ago sure has kept him employed for a long time.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Hawaii is doubtful to go to bat for that guy. I assume they'll investigate and terminate him.

One big year at Tulsa a long time ago sure has kept him employed for a long time.
                          The AD, president, and trustees did!

Comment

• Can those Dawgs win tonight?

Or, will it be another Roll Damn Tide?

Comment

• Gannon's OC left to join his previous HC at Presbyterian.

Comment

Gannon's OC left to join his previous HC at Presbyterian.
                                I wonder if the Presbyterians are LIT AF too

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X