Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    Georgia Southern fires their coach mid-season. That's two FBS coaches fired already. I'm not sure how I feel about a mid-season termination that's not for cause.
    They are 1-3 but, Lord, they lost to nationally ranked Arkansas and previously ranked Louisiana.

Timing seems odd.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

They are 1-3 but, Lord, they lost to nationally ranked Arkansas and previously ranked Louisiana.

Timing seems odd.
      Some of the more recent FCS to FBS risers were perennial powers in FCS: Appalachian State, Georgia Southern, Liberty, and Texas State. Its hard to swallow going from big fish in small pond to a bigger pond and expecting the same results. These are big fan bases who were used to the FBS feel with a strong on-field FCS product. I imagine some of that Savannah money was willing to pony up.

Comment

• Comment

• Who knows. Last expansion the Big should have taken Pitt and Syracuse in my opinion. Rutgers and MD just don't fit.

Comment

Who knows. Last expansion the Big should have taken Pitt and Syracuse in my opinion. Rutgers and MD just don't fit.
            This only ends with four major conferences. The Big 12 is simply delaying the inevitable. Conference realignment at this point is about nothing more than money and if a school will generate more revenue for a conference by being added. You can make the case that a lot of the moves that "make sense" actually don't financially. The geography of conference members is meaningless at this point. The ACC is going to try to grow the ACC network. That would be their sole goal in adding any new member.

The ACC would rather add Texas Tech and TCU than WVU or, say, UCF. I believe that with all sincerity. ACC Network is already on the largest cable provider in Florida. There's zero benefit in adding UCF because it would not open you up to any new revenue streams - and it would upset charter member Florida State (as they've already discussed with the conference). The same discussion exists with WVU. Comcast is the largest the cable provider in both PA and WV. Eventually, Comcast will pick up the channel (took them just over two years to get the BIG Network). When they do, you're not getting a ton more households. Morgantown is an extension of the Pittsburgh media market. Many with eyes on WVU or Pitt already, likely already had eyes on the other.

To add a new member, you have to justify the cost of doing so. Does WVU generate the ACC an additional 30 million dollars for the ACC? Does UCF? If either goes to a major bowl, they're just knocking out another ACC member - so they aren't generating more money from performance. Therefore, you consider the tv money. If the state the school is in doesn't offer you an additional stream of massive revenue dollars, it's not a move conferences will likely make. You can make the argument that adding two schools in Texas open up the opportunity to generate significantly more money than a school in a state where there's already a member, and a school just an hour or so away and in the same general media market.

All that said, I would love to see WVU with Pitt in the ACC. Also would love to see Pitt in the Big Ten also.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

This only ends with four major conferences. The Big 12 is simply delaying the inevitable. Conference realignment at this point is about nothing more than money and if a school will generate more revenue for a conference by being added. You can make the case that a lot of the moves that "make sense" actually don't financially. The geography of conference members is meaningless at this point. The ACC is going to try to grow the ACC network. That would be their sole goal in adding any new member.

The ACC would rather add Texas Tech and TCU than WVU or, say, UCF. I believe that with all sincerity. ACC Network is already on the largest cable provider in Florida. There's zero benefit in adding UCF because it would not open you up to any new revenue streams - and it would upset charter member Florida State (as they've already discussed with the conference). The same discussion exists with WVU. Comcast is the largest the cable provider in both PA and WV. Eventually, Comcast will pick up the channel (took them just over two years to get the BIG Network). When they do, you're not getting a ton more households. Morgantown is an extension of the Pittsburgh media market. Many with eyes on WVU or Pitt already, likely already had eyes on the other.

To add a new member, you have to justify the cost of doing so. Does WVU generate the ACC an additional 30 million dollars for the ACC? Does UCF? If either goes to a major bowl, they're just knocking out another ACC member - so they aren't generating more money from performance. Therefore, you consider the tv money. If the state the school is in doesn't offer you an additional stream of massive revenue dollars, it's not a move conferences will likely make. You can make the argument that adding two schools in Texas open up the opportunity to generate significantly more money than a school in a state where there's already a member, and a school just an hour or so away and in the same general media market.

All that said, I would love to see WVU with Pitt in the ACC. Also would love to see Pitt in the Big Ten also.
              Last edited by IUPNation; 09-27-2021, 05:38 PM.

Comment

• The only league at risk of not surviving at this point is the Big 12. Their two flagship power members are bolting. Every other league has a landmark program to hold the fort:

ACC: Clemson
                Big Ten: Ohio State
                SEC: Alabama
                Pac 12: USC

Nobody left in the Big 12 holds the same water that any of those other four do in their respective leagues. Oklahoma State would leave the Big 12 to affiliate itself with USC. But other schools aren't leaving their situations to affiliate themselves with OK State or Kansas. The academic argument is a lie. If somebody benefited the Big Ten, they would be invited, AAU member or not. It's about what university opens the door for more money.

If you follow college football, you should know that everything is about money. That's it. The proposed expansion of the playoff is only about money. And teams leaving one conference to go to the next is only about, you guessed it, money.

I'd love to see Pitt, West Virginia, and Penn State play each other every year. But you have to ask, what does WVU offer the ACC that they don't currently have? On the contrary, what does Pitt offer the Big Ten that they don't already have? Why would the Big Ten add Pitt when there are more Penn State grads in Allegheny County than there are Pitt grads? Pitt brings nothing to the Big Ten different than Penn State does in terms of households/media market. Rutgers isn't a Big Ten type of school either, but they provided the league a perennial doormat who opened up the Big Ten network to millions of television sets in the NJ/NYC area. All about the money. Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, etc., were all for adding Rutgers. An easy W and it increases the check at the end of the year.

Comment

Timing seems odd.
                  Gets even better. There's a video on the internet of a player "surfing" atop a moving bus while chugging a beer. I thought I was watching Teen Wolf LOL

Comment

Gets even better. There's a video on the internet of a player "surfing" atop a moving bus while chugging a beer. I thought I was watching Teen Wolf LOL
                    Was it a team bus or a local transit?

Comment

Was it a team bus or a local transit?
                      Looks like a team bus.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

The only league at risk of not surviving at this point is the Big 12. Their two flagship power members are bolting. Every other league has a landmark program to hold the fort:

ACC: Clemson
                        Big Ten: Ohio State
                        SEC: Alabama
                        Pac 12: USC

Nobody left in the Big 12 holds the same water that any of those other four do in their respective leagues. Oklahoma State would leave the Big 12 to affiliate itself with USC. But other schools aren't leaving their situations to affiliate themselves with OK State or Kansas. The academic argument is a lie. If somebody benefited the Big Ten, they would be invited, AAU member or not. It's about what university opens the door for more money.

If you follow college football, you should know that everything is about money. That's it. The proposed expansion of the playoff is only about money. And teams leaving one conference to go to the next is only about, you guessed it, money.

I'd love to see Pitt, West Virginia, and Penn State play each other every year. But you have to ask, what does WVU offer the ACC that they don't currently have? On the contrary, what does Pitt offer the Big Ten that they don't already have? Why would the Big Ten add Pitt when there are more Penn State grads in Allegheny County than there are Pitt grads? Pitt brings nothing to the Big Ten different than Penn State does in terms of households/media market. Rutgers isn't a Big Ten type of school either, but they provided the league a perennial doormat who opened up the Big Ten network to millions of television sets in the NJ/NYC area. All about the money. Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, etc., were all for adding Rutgers. An easy W and it increases the check at the end of the year.
                        Rutgers under Schiano doesn't have the look of a perennial doormat. They've made big strides under him so far, and he's had a nice recruiting class so far this year, including several four-stars. New Jersey is a good talent pipeline, if you can recruit it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Rutgers under Schiano doesn't have the look of a perennial doormat. They've made big strides under him so far, and he's had a nice recruiting class so far this year, including several four-stars. New Jersey is a good talent pipeline, if you can recruit it.
                          I agree. I'm not a fan of Schiano but he's somehow only a good fit at Rutgers.

I disagree that Maryland & Rutgers are not a good fit for the B1G. I don't think you can say they're a perfect fit the way Penn State fit in right away. It took some time for Nebraska to feel it fit too. If you look at it from a purely football perspective (understandable) yeah they look like bottom feeders. But Maryland is an excellent athletic program. Rutgers has some work to do but they also don't seem to fit well with the ACC.

I still feel that conference realignment was better back when the Big East had BC, Pitt, WVU, and Virginia Tech and before the Big 12 exodus happened. Cable network revenue really screwed with stuff.

Comment

I agree. I'm not a fan of Schiano but he's somehow only a good fit at Rutgers.

I disagree that Maryland & Rutgers are not a good fit for the B1G. I don't think you can say they're a perfect fit the way Penn State fit in right away. It took some time for Nebraska to feel it fit too. If you look at it from a purely football perspective (understandable) yeah they look like bottom feeders. But Maryland is an excellent athletic program. Rutgers has some work to do but they also don't seem to fit well with the ACC.

I still feel that conference realignment was better back when the Big East had BC, Pitt, WVU, and Virginia Tech and before the Big 12 exodus happened. Cable network revenue really screwed with stuff.
                            The ACC lost its charm to many in the South when they brought in all the 'Yankee' schools and the cherry on top was Maryland leaving.

But, as stated above, MD opened up a huge television market to the BIG. From Maryland's perspective, I think it was a no-brainer to leave.

If there's ever been a program worthy of the title of 'sleeping giant' ... it's the Terps. But, for whatever reason, they can't keep all their stars home. That region gets heavily cherry-picked by the big boys.

I've gone to several games down there at the 'Snake Pit' ... it's a really cool venue at night. Day games, not so much.

As for Greg, ... hey, he's did it there once. The second act, however, is never guaranteed. He had them rocking and rolling in the Ray Rice days. He had Tony Soprano doing spots for them (in character, etc.).

Comment

The ACC lost its charm to many in the South when they brought in all the 'Yankee' schools and the cherry on top was Maryland leaving.

But, as stated above, MD opened up a huge television market to the BIG. From Maryland's perspective, I think it was a no-brainer to leave.

If there's ever been a program worthy of the title of 'sleeping giant' ... it's the Terps. But, for whatever reason, they can't keep all their stars home. That region gets heavily cherry-picked by the big boys.

I've gone to several games down there at the 'Snake Pit' ... it's a really cool venue at night. Day games, not so much.

As for Greg, ... hey, he's did it there once. The second act, however, is never guaranteed. He had them rocking and rolling in the Ray Rice days. He had Tony Soprano doing spots for them (in character, etc.).
                              I was on a Southwest flight with Greg coming back from Indy. I was there for a work conference and he for the B1G championship when he was on the OSU staff. There's no first class on Southwest so he had to mingle with us regulars. Seemed like a genuinely nice guy who didn't mind. Still boggles my mind that a guy with millions in the bank would fly Southwest LOL

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Take one thing I said and dissect it. The overall point is that it's all about money. If a school doesn't add a huge chunk of additional revenue, the move isn't happening.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X