Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Can the coaches be held to the same? Worse industry than used car salesmen.

Contracts don't mean a thing.
    It depends who writes them. Every business and pro sports team uses them for a reason. If the contract is written where a coach has to stay or pay, and leaves without a legitimate legal excuse that would be a breach of that contract and there would be consequences. If that is not the case, let's just back to a handshake and put lawyers out of business. " It don't mean a thing If it ain't got that swing."

Comment

• Question; So when a player opts out of a bowl game it is just basically quitting the team or is there some formal opt-out procedure?

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
        Question; So when a player opts out of a bowl game it is just basically quitting the team or is there some formal opt-out procedure?
        It's not quitting the team. Less than 3% of college players make the NFL

If you have a chance to be in that 3% ... let alone a Round 1 ... it's just a business decision. That QB who blew out his knee last night probably just cost himself $10m.

Bowls are just another chance to pimp out players. The players are just getting smarter.

Kenny Pickett was the prime example. Sure, he wanted to play. But, end of day, nobody gives a F about the Peach Bowl. He's now going round one and will have a massive, life-altering signing bonus.

If you aren't in the playoff and are a Round One ... bowls aren't worth the risk. The day is coming when a guy in the playoff opts out. For that kind of coin ... hard to blame them.

Comment

It's not quitting the team. Less than 3% of college players make the NFL

If you have a chance to be in that 3% ... let alone a Round 1 ... it's just a business decision. That QB who blew out his knee last night probably just cost himself $10m.

Bowls are just another chance to pimp out players. The players are just getting smarter.

Kenny Pickett was the prime example. Sure, he wanted to play. But, end of day, nobody gives a F about the Peach Bowl. He's now going round one and will have a massive, life-altering signing bonus.

If you aren't in the playoff and are a Round One ... bowls aren't worth the risk. The day is coming when a guy in the playoff opts out. For that kind of coin ... hard to blame them.
          I understand that but the team is playing so technically they are quitting the team. i don't know how else you can explain it. It's not like there is an online opt-out of meaningless bowl game form. They are just deciding that they don't want to do it and nobody can make them.

Comment

I understand that but the team is playing so technically they are quitting the team. i don't know how else you can explain it. It's not like there is an online opt-out of meaningless bowl game form. They are just deciding that they don't want to do it and nobody can make them.
            I guess, yes, they are quitting. But, I don't think the non-playoff teams really care. They in turn get to pimp out top draft picks in recruiting, etc.

The players' ultimate goal is to play on Sunday for those big checks ... not the who-cares-bowl.

Comment

I guess, yes, they are quitting. But, I don't think the non-playoff teams really care. They in turn get to pimp out top draft picks in recruiting, etc.

The players' ultimate goal is to play on Sunday for those big checks ... not the who-cares-bowl.
              I think it's bad but I don't have a solution. But if it is too much of a risk for some players it's just a matter of time until every player who projects as getting drafted will opt out of bowl games. Forget about the playoffs, too, because the money is going to take over.

I read that Georgia has 4 players opting out and they are in the national championship. So, it doesn't matter. I predict it will destroy any competitive element for college football playoffs.

Comment

We can't explain it nor does any explanation we attept to give matter. The definitive opinion of wether an opt out player quits on his teams lies with his teammates and I can tell you for a fact no player on Pitt thinks Kenny Pickett quit on them.

Comment

• I wonder how bad this could get. Like, if a player who is believed to be a consensus first-round pick, is on a team that's 3-3 in October, might he pack it in and "prepare for the draft"?

Could it extend to basketball? Could there be a day when a player with an NBA future opts out of the conference and NCAA tournaments to "prepare for the draft"?
                  http://www.indianagazette.com
                  www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

• I'm trying to consider all perspectives and the more I do, the more it cements my initial feelings.

College football players are college students who play football and should be treated more like such. If I wanted to transfer from Edinboro to Slippery Rock, I didn't have to get my advisor's consent nor did it affect my ability to enroll right away. So I'm okay with players transferring before graduation. I do think there should be some way for a coach to express concern that a transfer to a division/key future opponent could result in shared intel so maybe a process in place for negotiating that. Graduate transfers should be a non-issue.

Technically a lot of coaches are at-will employees and if they can be terminated at any time without cause should be allowed to do the same. However, I'm a "see it through" and "go down swinging" personality, and I've worked in fields that have on & off seasons, so yeah I think it should be looked down upon for a coach quitting before the season is over. I especially disrespect the decision of a school to ask, encourage, or allow a coach to leave his/her team before the season is complete. A university would never respect a professor who resigned in the middle of the semester to start immediately at a new university. Same goes in other fields. Can you imagine if an accountant or auditor switched jobs in the middle of tax season?

I think the same sentiment informs my opinion on players sitting out bowl games. Yes, they can do what they want, but they're still quitting on their team before the season is over. See it through. Eventually we'll start seeing players sit out regular season games if they have solid draft products and the team is going nowhere. But I also think a fuller playoff helps. Alabama doesn't have future first round guys sit out.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Burglund;n643475[B
                      ]I wonder how bad this could get. Like, if a player who is believed to be a consensus first-round pick, is on a team that's 3-3 in October, might he pack it in and "prepare for the draft"?[/B]

Could it extend to basketball? Could there be a day when a player with an NBA future opts out of the conference and NCAA tournaments to "prepare for the draft"?

Matter of time. Football is the only sport that requires players to wait 3 years from their high school graduation to be draft eligible. Some of these guys don't need three years of college in order to become a top pick. Trevor Lawrence is a prime example of a guy who should have went after two years but had to stay and get pimped out by the NCAA.

Again, this topic is about the cream of the crop guys. I certainly see your example above happening in the very near future.

What may lessen the burden some is there are now D1 superstars making 7 figures while in college. Being the BMOC, having women galore and a lot of money may entice some of these guys to stick around longer than before. This NIL money is just getting started -- and, it's going to get wild.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post
                        I wonder how bad this could get. Like, if a player who is believed to be a consensus first-round pick, is on a team that's 3-3 in October, might he pack it in and "prepare for the draft"?

Man....ummmm....unfortunately, I believe those scenarios are at least slowly on its way.

Comment

• Also, because the pursuit of money knows no bounds, it will likely trickle down to lower division football, too. It's possible that the D2 superstars could do it. Why not? What if Max Redfield would have opted out of the playoffs for IUP in 2017? Does that sound like an unrealistic scenario to you?

Comment

Also, because the pursuit of money knows no bounds, it will likely trickle down to lower division football, too. It's possible that the D2 superstars could do it. Why not? What if Max Redfield would have opted out of the playoffs for IUP in 2017? Does that sound like an unrealistic scenario to you?
                            I don't see that happening often at the D2 level, especially in the PSAC. These are teams playing largely in small towns and not receiving nearly the attention of FBS athletes. Perhaps the occasional D2 superstar could get some coin. We're just coming off a 9-2 season at Ship during which the local TV stations barely acknowledged our existence.

Comment

• I know you're right. It just often has a "hired gun" feel to it. I felt that way for the first time when Pitt brought in Max Browne in '17. I do know it's not going away.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post
                                I wonder how bad this could get. Like, if a player who is believed to be a consensus first-round pick, is on a team that's 3-3 in October, might he pack it in and "prepare for the draft"?

With the former question, do some research on Buffalo Bills defensive lineman Ed Oliver when he played college football at Houston.

With the latter question, the answer is likely "no" for two reasons: 1) basketball isn't as physical a sport where players are prone to serious injuries due to what other players do to their bodies (rather than what the players do to their own bodies) and 2) many really good basketball players enter the NBA after 1-2 years of college. In college football, players are restricted from entering the NFL until three years after they graduate high school or if they graduate college early.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X