Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TheBigCat2192 View Post

As you pointed out Chryst did his best work earlier in his tenure. The second half has still been alright compared to a lot of other schools out there but it’s been marred by some very ugly showings against the other top teams in the B1G (and out of conference too), particularly crossover games.

I think there are a few other factors in play here:
    1. After years of Alvarez Wisconsin has a new(ish) AD who probably wants the chance to choose his guy and assert his authority over the department with the specter of Alvarez always lingering.
    2. Chryst is supposed to be an offensive guy and had a mild “QB whisperer” rep but his offense and his prize QB recruit have both been stagnant for a few years.
    3. Wisconsin has a guy already on the staff they view as a likely replacement in Leonhard. Leonhard has been touted as a coaching candidate elsewhere and the AD might have been afraid of losing him similar to MSU and Narduzzi or (to a lesser extent) OSU and Fickell.
    4. The gap between Wisconsin and OSU/Michigan has seemingly widened in the last 3 years. It’s likely, although not guaranteed, that the B1G will be adding UCLA and USC which are both programs with strong histories and recruiting bases in their own rights. The AD might have felt that making a change now was necessary rather than waiting for the conference to get any tougher. Better too early than too late.
    The gap between Ohio State and just about all the Big Ten has widened. They've always been a dominant team in the conference, which makes sense given their location and football history, but it's gotten ridiculous in recent years. In the '50s and '60s I can remember Iowa, Illinois, Michigan State, Wisconsin, Purdue, Minnesota, and even Indiana having championship caliber teams on occasion. Northwestern had some competitive teams under Ara Parseghian and then Alex Agase. The downfall began when more games started getting on TV in the '60s and it became all about the "Bo-Woody" rivalry at Ohio State and Michigan. Suddenly, it was if none of the other teams existed and the "Big Two, Little Eight" was born. Because the Bo and Woody twosome were able to recruit well enough to control the rest of the league, they could get away with playing ultra conservative, no-pass football, which often got them torched in bowl games and diminished the reputation of the league.

Today, the four-team playoff has boosted a few teams into household brands, and most of the conferences are dominated by 1-2 teams. Georgia finally appears to have the horses to give Alabama a continuous headache. Harbag beat Ohio State for the first time in a while last year, but we'll see if that holds up. With Wisconsin slipping and Nebraska never getting started, the B1G West is abysmal this year. Minnesota started the year solid, but judging by their effort against Purdue Saturday they apparently have nobody who can run the ball if Ibraheim is injured. Illinois actually appears to be improving under fat Bret, but the division as a whole is abysmal this season. Probably the best thing for the league would be to add a couple of more teams along with USC and UCLA and do a complete realignment.

The expanded playoff might help if top players can be convinced they don't have to go to the same half-dozen schools all the time to compete for the playoffs.

Comment

• ESPN has a story up today about NIL disclosure or lack thereof on the part of a number of D1 schools they sent requests to. Tl;dr for those who don’t want to read the whole article:
      • None of the schools were willing to give up information with a student-athlete’s name on it on privacy grounds.
      • Multiple schools sent out info that was basically PR presentations. Number of student-athletes that have NIL or list of businesses that have them and total dollars but no breakdowns.
      • Some schools gave aggregate numbers by sport and percentage of male or female athletes.
      • University of Maryland disclosed the most with a spreadsheet containing a list of businesses, dollar amounts, and type of endorsement but no student-athlete names.
      • Seven schools refused to give any info and another four acknowledged receiving the request but gave no information at time of publication.
      • The NCAA’s enforcement division claims that schools have also refused to give them info on privacy grounds at times.
      In general the reported numbers line up with what you’d probably expect - football and basketball are allegedly getting the lion’s share of the money with differing niche sports (swimming, baseball, and softball) picking up the scraps depending on location/conference. I wouldn’t expect the information to be any easier to glean in the future given that the article also highlights efforts by coaches and state lawmakers across the spectrum (ESPN quotes a Republican state senator from Louisiana and a Democrat state senator from Kentucky along with claiming overwhelming bipartisan support on the latter) to pass laws specifically exempting NIL deals from public disclosure on student privacy grounds.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

I mostly agree, although I think Penn State has a lot more upside than Wisconsin.
        No doubt. They have a great tradition in Wisconsin and play in front of a packed stadium every home game, much like Penn State, but I’ve always seen the Badgers as a half-step behind. They’d be way worse if they had to play in the East Division.

Comment

• When Brian Kelly loses. I am happy.
          Last edited by IUP PSAC Fan; 10-09-2022, 09:22 AM.

Comment

• Pitt doing its best to lose again.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP PSAC Fan View Post
              When Brian Kelley loses. I am happy.
              So disliked you can't even spell his name correctly. I bet you also loathe Tom Wolfe.

Comment

• Is anyone watching the steelers game? My goodness.

Comment

• How about Sacred Heart in the NEC somehow shattering NEC home attendance records Saturday with a whopping 10,153 fans. They had family weekend, brought in temporary bleachers and expanded endzone seating to accommodate the extra folks.

Comment

• Syracuse got hosed in Death Valley.

Yankees don't get treated well down there.

Comment

• I remember thinking when Pitt snuck past WVU that they were both good teams.

That didn't age well.

Comment

• …at least The Nits looked good on TV this week before Franklin loses to another Top 10 team.

Comment

• Wonder if Michigan will now finally address that ridiculous tunnel situation?

Couple of those Sparty boys will likely be arrested.

Comment

• Auburn canned its HC.

$15.5m buyout -- half due within 30 days. The rest over four installments.

Nice going away present.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                              Auburn canned its HC.

$15.5m buyout -- half due within 30 days. The rest over four installments.

Nice going away present.
                              Penn State needs to do the same thing.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Penn State needs to do the same thing.
                                He's an interesting case. It's pretty clear what they've become. Question is will the big money brass there except winning most of the time but losing routinely under the bright lights.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X