Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

He's an interesting case. It's pretty clear what they've become. Question is will the big money brass there except winning most of the time but losing routinely under the bright lights.
    The alumni there aren’t the ESU alumni who will be happy with 6-5 every year…

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Penn State needs to do the same thing.
      I don't know if Penn State can do much better than what they've got. Do their big money boosters feel that way? Who knows. If Michigan cut Harbaugh loose a few years ago when many felt it was warranted, they wouldn't be where they are now. I'm not saying it translates to keeping Franklin, but if not for the rise of Michigan, Penn State would probably be where it always is: right behind Ohio State. It all doesn't matter until they can somehow overcome Ohio State. Its been a while since Penn State had a fully great season - 2005? I just don't know how much better they can get. At some point these schools need to be content with being above average and hoping for a year where they have 1 or 2 losses instead of 3 or 4. They're gonna have to once all the P5 schools stop playing FCS games.

Its basically the same situation for Pitt.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I don't know if Penn State can do much better than what they've got. Do their big money boosters feel that way? Who knows. If Michigan cut Harbaugh loose a few years ago when many felt it was warranted, they wouldn't be where they are now. I'm not saying it translates to keeping Franklin, but if not for the rise of Michigan, Penn State would probably be where it always is: right behind Ohio State. It all doesn't matter until they can somehow overcome Ohio State. Its been a while since Penn State had a fully great season - 2005? I just don't know how much better they can get. At some point these schools need to be content with being above average and hoping for a year where they have 1 or 2 losses instead of 3 or 4. They're gonna have to once all the P5 schools stop playing FCS games.

Yeah ... recall when those 'boosters' got tired of Jamie Dixon 'only' going to the tournament every year and occasionally making a deep run. Those same boosters made a huge push to run Dave Wannstedt out of town, too.

Comment

Yeah ... recall when those 'boosters' got tired of Jamie Dixon 'only' going to the tournament every year and occasionally making a deep run. Those same boosters made a huge push to run Dave Wannstedt out of town, too.
          Pitt fans are fortunate Heather Lyke is in charge for now. Sure, the Capel hire hasn't aged well, but at the time that seemed like as good as Pitt could have done.

I guess I'm more pragmatic from being a lifelong fan of an also-ran with periodic success. You refuse to accept the bad, are satisfied with the good, and love the great. I just think its unrealistic for any program to always be on top. Even the P5 programs with the most access to money can't sustain being on top forever.

Plus, Texas A&M is proof positive that you can't let deep pocket boosters do your job for you.

Comment

Franklin’s 2017 and 2019 teams were both quite good, top5-10ish teams depending on what stat-based/computer systems you prefer. They just got stung with close losses against other quality opponents (top-5ish OSU and top-20ish MSU in 2017; top-20ish Minnesota and an extremely good OSU team in 2019). Some of that is Franklin’s in-game decision making which I have never been impressed with while some of it was bad luck. Biggest problem with those teams is that they’re 3 and 5 years ago respectively and the two seasons between 2019 and now weren’t particularly pretty although I think PSU was better than their record last year given all of the one-score losses and their strong schedule. In general after two bleh years to start Franklin’s had a mostly solid run from about 2016 to now with the exception of the pandemic year, which frankly I think deserves an asterisk across most pro and college sports given the stops and starts to seasons, variable number of games played, and players unexpectedly missing time or sitting out. I agree that I’m not sure who they could hire to do better and their best bet might be to ride things out with Franklin’s high end recruiting and mostly decent game-planning while nudging him towards hiring coordinators or position coaches that could help cover his in-game weaknesses.

Comment

• Two things:

1) Brian Harsin fired at Auburn. These SEC boosters need to learn that no matter how much money you pour into programs you can't ALL win championships. Just like I said about Pitt and Penn State yesterday, fans & boosters have to be patient and content with "good" years to appreciate the "great" years. You can't keep the coaching carousel spinning hoping that one guy is the magic bullet then a few years later pay him millions to go away and do it all over again.

2) Coach Prime should be corrected on his comments regarding the FCS playoffs. Jackson State is undefeated and highly ranked in FCS - but their conference is contractually obligated to not participate in the national playoffs. Sanders was also commenting that he didn't think Jackson State had the money to extend the season by three weeks - but the idiot national sports media were also oblivious that the NCAA covers that travel. For those unaware, the SWAC champion plays the MEAC champion in the Celebration Bowl (formerly the Heritage Bowl) the week before Christmas in the Mercedes Benz Stadium in Atlanta. The game is broadcast on ABC, last year drew over 48k, and has a $2 million purse. Far more lucrative on many levels than an FCS playoff run.

Comment

Two things:

1) Brian Harsin fired at Auburn. These SEC boosters need to learn that no matter how much money you pour into programs you can't ALL win championships. Just like I said about Pitt and Penn State yesterday, fans & boosters have to be patient and content with "good" years to appreciate the "great" years. You can't keep the coaching carousel spinning hoping that one guy is the magic bullet then a few years later pay him millions to go away and do it all over again.

2) Coach Prime should be corrected on his comments regarding the FCS playoffs. Jackson State is undefeated and highly ranked in FCS - but their conference is contractually obligated to not participate in the national playoffs. Sanders was also commenting that he didn't think Jackson State had the money to extend the season by three weeks - but the idiot national sports media were also oblivious that the NCAA covers that travel. For those unaware, the SWAC champion plays the MEAC champion in the Celebration Bowl (formerly the Heritage Bowl) the week before Christmas in the Mercedes Benz Stadium in Atlanta. The game is broadcast on ABC, last year drew over 48k, and has a $2 million purse. Far more lucrative on many levels than an FCS playoff run.

Well, actually they can. Granted, that's rare air most schools cannot voyage in to (reference WVU can't get rid of Brown yet). But, money isn't a big issue for many in the SEC.

Those whales always think the next guy will be 'the' guy.

Comment

• I don’t think the Harsin firing is entirely about W-L or boosters with unrealistic expectations. He already went through an inquiry by his athletic department this off-season to see if he was a locker room cancer after Auburn had a massive amount of transfers out and an unusual amount of assistant coaches leaving. I suspect this is another Kevin Wilson situation as much as an indictment of his team’s on-field performance.

Comment

Two things:

Alabamastan has ruined college foosball. Everyone wants to be Saban and Alabamastan.

Comment

Penn State hasn't always been right behind Ohio State. Michigan once beat them them nine times in a row before the Wolverines made the mistake of hiring Rich Rodriguez after Carr. Harbaugh now has gotten Michigan back to their former level, and PSU fans are probably going to have to get used to it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Penn State hasn't always been right behind Ohio State. Michigan once beat them them nine times in a row before the Wolverines made the mistake of hiring Rich Rodriguez after Carr. Harbaugh now has gotten Michigan back to their former level, and PSU fans are probably going to have to get used to it.
                        Ohio State was below Penn State until they hired Tressel.

Every fan base thinks they're one hire away from supremacy.

Comment

They had a 3-5 record against OSU in the Big Ten before Ohio State hired Tressel, so I wouldn't call that Ohio State being below them. PSU did have a slight edge over OSU before joining the Big Ten when the schools seldom played each other. Probably didn't word it well, but was also pointing out that you're not necessarily right behind Ohio State when Michigan is eating your lunch as well. I remember quite a few Penn State fans having expectations they were going to dominate the league when they entered. They obviously haven't come anywhere near that.

Comment

And, what Tennessee has done, will only give many the illusion. The Vols were dumpster fire a couple years ago.

What a profession. You're fired. Here's $17m. Go away.

Comment

And, what Tennessee has done, will only give many the illusion. The Vols were dumpster fire a couple years ago.

What a profession. You're fired. Here's $17m. Go away.
                              I went to grad school at Northwestern (speaking of bad seasons), and we had the misfortune to play Tennessee in a bowl game. Worst fan base online I've ever seen, and that's saying something. I was glad to see them lose for several seasons after that and look forward to the day when they start losing again.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

I went to grad school at Northwestern (speaking of bad seasons), and we had the misfortune to play Tennessee in a bowl game. Worst fan base online I've ever seen, and that's saying something. I was glad to see them lose for several seasons after that and look forward to the day when they start losing again.
                                Some D1 message boards make ours like G-Rated. Wow.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X