Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prayers to Bills player (and Pitt alumni) Damar Hamlin.

He was just taken off the field in an ambulance and was given CPR on the field. Very scary situation.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post
      The Nits finally beat a Top 10 team under Franklin.

No wonder it’s raining in Kollyfornia.
      With what they should have back next year PSU ought to be in pretty good shape.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
        Prayers to Bills player (and Pitt alumni) Damar Hamlin.

He was just taken off the field in an ambulance and was given CPR on the field. Very scary situation.
        It should not have taken an hour to decide to suspend the game.

Comment

I agree with you 10000%. Once they put him in the ambulance the game should have been called.

Comment

• My guess is that the delay in calling the game had to do with having to consult with all involved, players union, etc. I heard some good commentary on this last night that made sense. It wasn’t that they weren’t in agreement on postponing. They just had some boxes to check in terms of protocol to officially call it. I also read this morning that there was never a plan to return to play per Joe Buck’s comments on the broadcast. He may have been given inaccurate information or misinterpreted what he heard.

Regardless, it was the right call and let’s all hope the kid is going to be okay.

Comment

I think the timeframe was justified. #1 - They didn't resume play. #2 - there are a lot of implications to postponing an NFL game. The clubs, the league, the players union all have input and there has to be agreement. Not to mention you've got the fans in the stadium, TV viewers, advertisers. I think it was handled ok.

I'm glad his vitals are back to normal now. It also sounds like they got him assistance early enough to prevent any brain damage.

The implications for the game of football are not so good, though. It could have been fatal in a snap moment.

Comment

• Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post
                My guess is that the delay in calling the game had to do with having to consult with all involved, players union, etc. I heard some good commentary on this last night that made sense. It wasn’t that they weren’t in agreement on postponing. They just had some boxes to check in terms of protocol to officially call it. I also read this morning that there was never a plan to return to play per Joe Buck’s comments on the broadcast. He may have been given inaccurate information or misinterpreted what he heard.

Regardless, it was the right call and let’s all hope the kid is going to be okay.
                Yeah I don’t understand the need to vilify someone here. It’s all over Twitter. The right thing was done. I’m sure there was a fair amount of chaos with officials at the game trying to communicate with league executives who weren’t there. Miscommunications and misunderstandings can happen. Nothing like this had ever happened in an NFL game before.

Comment

• Unfortunate PSAC connection to this saga: former Edinboro QB Hal Galupi died from a similar situation while playing in a softball game. Took a bad hit to the chest on a play at the plate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post

Yeah I don’t understand the need to vilify someone here. It’s all over Twitter. The right thing was done. I’m sure there was a fair amount of chaos with officials at the game trying to communicate with league executives who weren’t there. Miscommunications and misunderstandings can happen. Nothing like this had ever happened in an NFL game before.
                    Well considering the violent nature of the sport, somebody should have brought up the possibility of this happening and having a protocol in place.

Always plan for the worst case scenario.

Comment

Well considering the violent nature of the sport, somebody should have brought up the possibility of this happening and having a protocol in place.

Always plan for the worst case scenario.
                      The only protocols that mattered were the ones in place to save Damar’s life. The logistics of calling off the game in a manner timely enough to satisfy a public that’s always looking to be mad about something are a secondary concern. Nevertheless I’m sure that process will be looked at going forward.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                        Unfortunate PSAC connection to this saga: former Edinboro QB Hal Galupi died from a similar situation while playing in a softball game. Took a bad hit to the chest on a play at the plate.
                        Some very unexpected things can happen in contact sports. When I was attending Ship, we nearly lost a guy in a touch intramural football game. We had kickoffs, and although it was touch football there was blocking. Some guy caught this kid in the mouth, and his tongue doubled up and got stuck in his throat. He dropped to the ground and started turning blue. Somebody went to fetch the school nurse, but she never would have made it there in time. Fortunately, one guy had the presence of mind to figure out what was going on, found a stick, and was able to pry the tongue out of the kid's throat so he could breathe again. I wasn't playing in the game, but I was watching and it was scary. Intramural participants were so shaken by the incident that kickoffs were ended, and teams were simply given the ball on the 20 to start possessions.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Some very unexpected things can happen in contact sports. When I was attending Ship, we nearly lost a guy in a touch intramural football game. We had kickoffs, and although it was touch football there was blocking. Some guy caught this kid in the mouth, and his tongue doubled up and got stuck in his throat. He dropped to the ground and started turning blue. Somebody went to fetch the school nurse, but she never would have made it there in time. Fortunately, one guy had the presence of mind to figure out what was going on, found a stick, and was able to pry the tongue out of the kid's throat so he could breathe again. I wasn't playing in the game, but I was watching and it was scary. Intramural participants were so shaken by the incident that kickoffs were ended, and teams were simply given the ball on the 20 to start possessions.
                          Kickoff returns will be the next item eliminated in real football.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Kickoff returns will be the next item eliminated in real football.
                            They essentially have been with some of the fair catch rules and kickers who can boot it out of the endzone. It is a dangerous game, but in reality more players are killed by car crashes than during football games. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._their_careers. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._their_careers

Comment

• Originally posted by Bart View Post

They essentially have been with some of the fair catch rules and kickers who can boot it out of the endzone. It is a dangerous game, but in reality more players are killed by car crashes than during football games. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._their_careers. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._their_careers
                              Taking death out of the equation, which is remarkably rare in sports in general, football is the most dangerous when you consider the number and severity of injuries by number of participants.

Here’s a good article on sports related injuries from Johns Hopkins: https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/heal...ury-statistics

If you want to read a pretty good research paper you can find it here: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1941297/

It’s also not as simple as looking at the total number of injuries because there’s level of severity. Another thing to consider is cause of injury. In situations where an athlete dies or comes close do dying, it’s often due to an undiagnosed health condition and not something that happened as part of competition. It will be interesting to see what we learn about the Damar Hamlin situation and whether there was an unknown heath risk. If he didn’t have something else going on, it’s going to come up in conversation around dinner tables across the country when Johnny says he wants to play football.

As a former football coach, I can tell you it’s a remarkably violent game even at the high school level. It’s one thing to see it on television or watch from the stands, but another to be right next to it. Not only are games violent, but there’s the additional blows and wear and tear in practices players endure that makes them even more susceptible to injury. In my years of coaching football and baseball, I’ve seen dozens of significant injuries including concussions on the football field, and can count on one hand the number I’ve seen on the baseball field. I love football for sure, but I really don’t want my kid playing it. I wouldn’t tell him he can’t, but I’m glad he seems way more interested in baseball and basketball.

If the steps were taken to REALLY make football safer, it wouldn’t resemble the game we see today.

Comment

• Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

Taking death out of the equation, which is remarkably rare in sports in general, football is the most dangerous when you consider the number and severity of injuries by number of participants.

Here’s a good article on sports related injuries from Johns Hopkins: https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/heal...ury-statistics

If you want to read a pretty good research paper you can find it here: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1941297/

It’s also not as simple as looking at the total number of injuries because there’s level of severity. Another thing to consider is cause of injury. In situations where an athlete dies or comes close do dying, it’s often due to an undiagnosed health condition and not something that happened as part of competition. It will be interesting to see what we learn about the Damar Hamlin situation and whether there was an unknown heath risk. If he didn’t have something else going on, it’s going to come up in conversation around dinner tables across the country when Johnny says he wants to play football.

As a former football coach, I can tell you it’s a remarkably violent game even at the high school level. It’s one thing to see it on television or watch from the stands, but another to be right next to it. Not only are games violent, but there’s the additional blows and wear and tear in practices players endure that makes them even more susceptible to injury. In my years of coaching football and baseball, I’ve seen dozens of significant injuries including concussions on the football field, and can count on one hand the number I’ve seen on the baseball field. I love football for sure, but I really don’t want my kid playing it. I wouldn’t tell him he can’t, but I’m glad he seems way more interested in baseball and basketball.

If the steps were taken to REALLY make football safer, it wouldn’t resemble the game we see today.
                                We haven't even seen an accurate picture of the lifelong effects of head contact. If you are around men who played football beyond high school or college in the 70s or 80s, especially those who took frequent helmet to helmet hits before helmets were scientifically designed, they're not okay. I worked with a 1970s Steeler at RMU and lived next to a 70s Penn State & NFL player when I was first married and you can notice their cognitive issues.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X