Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

73 of 85 scholarship players for UGA were Rivals 4-stars or above.
    That might be, and they deserved the title, but they dodged a real bullet in the OSU game. I gotta think Ohio State scores at least once more with Harrison in the game. And a lot of football people thought the other receiver they had out for the season was as good or better than Harrison. Also out was Henderson, the No. 1 OSU tailback. Ohio State was likely the only other team in the country that could match Georgia athletically this season. Alabama was close, but their defense was suspect in big games.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

That might be, and they deserved the title, but they dodged a real bullet in the OSU game. I gotta think Ohio State scores at least once more with Harrison in the game. And a lot of football people thought the other receiver they had out for the season was as good or better than Harrison. Also out was Henderson, the No. 1 OSU tailback. Ohio State was likely the only other team in the country that could match Georgia athletically this season. Alabama was close, but their defense was suspect in big games.
      Well, it's not like Ohio State is the Columbus Sisters of the Poor. Their roster can stack right up with anybody regarding Rivals recruits.

Comment

Well, it's not like Ohio State is the Columbus Sisters of the Poor. Their roster can stack right up with anybody regarding Rivals recruits.
        Well, now that's it's never been easier to basically buy players, maybe the talent will spread out a little more. We shall see.

Comment

• Some public knowledge payouts for regional FCS vs FBS:

Youngstown State at Ohio State: $800,000

Duquesne at West Virginia: $425,000

Towson at Maryland: $400,000

Delaware State at Miami (Ohio): $350,000

Monmouth at Florida Atlantic: $335,000

Saint Francis at Western Michigan: $325,000

Duquesne at Coastal Carolina: $300,000

Sacred Heart at UConn: $275,000

Bucknell at James Madison: $200,000

UAlbany at Hawaii: $150,000 (plus all travel)

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
            Some public knowledge payouts for regional FCS vs FBS:

Youngstown State at Ohio State: $800,000

Duquesne at West Virginia: $425,000

Towson at Maryland: $400,000

Delaware State at Miami (Ohio): $350,000

Monmouth at Florida Atlantic: $335,000

Saint Francis at Western Michigan: $325,000

Duquesne at Coastal Carolina: $300,000

Sacred Heart at UConn: $275,000

Bucknell at James Madison: $200,000

UAlbany at Hawaii: $150,000 (plus all travel)
            How far does that $150k go for Albany? Maybe 3-4 scholarships.

Comment

• Originally posted by shipfbfan1 View Post

How far does that $150k go for Albany? Maybe 3-4 scholarships.
              It makes you wonder what the football budget must be at Hawaii. Bringing teams out there for non-conference games costs a fortune. Obviously, there's no bus trips to away games.

That is not a fun trip from Albany, NY. Not a pleasant flight.

Comment

It makes you wonder what the football budget must be at Hawaii. Bringing teams out there for non-conference games costs a fortune. Obviously, there's no bus trips to away games.

Hopefully they got a noon start time. Besides the jet lag, thats a six hour time difference.

Comment

During the "hey day" of football on the big island, I used to always fantasize about them in the old Pac-10 (now Pac-12). They had some really good teams at the same time Boise State did. That was around the same time as the big 3-5 year run USC had with Pete Carroll.

Sad story about Colt Brennan.

It's fun to look back at college football during that era. I think overall it was a much more enjoyable, and balanced, product back then. I generally get flack for this whenever I say it to anyone in a conversation, but I will always prefer the BCS era. Mattered when you lost in the season as much as who you lost to. Losing week one wasn't nearly as devastating as losing in week 10. That was a fun time and era of college football.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

During the "hey day" of football on the big island, I used to always fantasize about them in the old Pac-10 (now Pac-12). They had some really good teams at the same time Boise State did. That was around the same time as the big 3-5 year run USC had with Pete Carroll.

Sad story about Colt Brennan.

It's fun to look back at college football during that era. I think overall it was a much more enjoyable, and balanced, product back then. I generally get flack for this whenever I say it to anyone in a conversation, but I will always prefer the BCS era. Mattered when you lost in the season as much as who you lost to. Losing week one wasn't nearly as devastating as losing in week 10. That was a fun time and era of college football.
                    The 30-for-30 on that USC era is an incredible watch. Pete's teams took over Hollywood. He obviously got the hell out of Dodge, too.

I still remember watching The Bush Push. He should have won three in a row. Almost.

When Hawaii is powerful, its stadium entrance is one of the more intimidating in all of college football. I recall the PAC has toyed with them several times but it always gets voted down.

Comment

The 30-for-30 on that USC era is an incredible watch. Pete's teams took over Hollywood. He obviously got the hell out of Dodge, too.

I still remember watching The Bush Push. He should have won three in a row. Almost.

When Hawaii is powerful, its stadium entrance is one of the more intimidating in all of college football. I recall the PAC has toyed with them several times but it always gets voted down.
                      I do wonder what they could look like if they landed in the PAC-12, or another P5 conference (because location means nothing anymore). They've had some great teams in the past. Is that sustainable? Probably not, but you could argue that they could have a longer stint of being good (although it's hard to do that as a non blue blood now due to NIL and the portal - sad). There's so many great players to come from the state of Hawaii, or just be from the west coast or Samoan. That seems to be such fertile ground for QBs as well. USC, Oregon, BYU, and Utah get a ton of those west coast Samoan guys.

Those teams with Colt Brennan were so electric to watch. Boise State gets a ton of the mid-major love from that era because of the memorable win in the Fiesta Bowl. But Hawaii was just as good. And I believe in the year they went 12-0 or 11-1 in the regular season, they beat an undefeated Boise team late in the year. That was a big deal. They had Gameday there and the "A" crew from ESPN/ABC. You'd never see love or attention given to those off-brand programs today. It's all about the big schools and the playoff, not Cinderella trying to crash the ball.

Comment

We'll probably never see something like that ever again. There are massive universities with massive fan bases and followings where football players are rock stars. Then there was USC of that era. It's not even comparable. Matt Leinart, Reggie Bush, Lendale White, Dwayne Jarrett, etc. Those guys were A-listers on Rodeo Drive and in Beverly Hills. No chance any of them ever even went to class.

Lendale White was recently on a podcast talking about how they "got paid." He said he was given some swank apartment. He was told that what was left in the place was his because the people who previously lived there had to quickly exit and move. He said that when he moved in, the place was fully furnished and decorated. He said that there was an envelope sitting on the couch with $250,000 inside. That was really the wild west.

The funny thing is that when you consider how the operation (everywhere) works now, it's the same as what USC was doing under the table back then. It's just out in the open now. But I'm not sure we'll ever see 18-22 year olds playing football and taking over one of the world's largest and most influential cities ever again.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

We'll probably never see something like that ever again. There are massive universities with massive fan bases and followings where football players are rock stars. Then there was USC of that era. It's not even comparable. Matt Leinart, Reggie Bush, Lendale White, Dwayne Jarrett, etc. Those guys were A-listers on Rodeo Drive and in Beverly Hills. No chance any of them ever even went to class.

Lendale White was recently on a podcast talking about how they "got paid." He said he was given some swank apartment. He was told that what was left in the place was his because the people who previously lived there had to quickly exit and move. He said that when he moved in, the place was fully furnished and decorated. He said that there was an envelope sitting on the couch with $250,000 inside. That was really the wild west.

The funny thing is that when you consider how the operation (everywhere) works now, it's the same as what USC was doing under the table back then. It's just out in the open now. But I'm not sure we'll ever see 18-22 year olds playing football and taking over one of the world's largest and most influential cities ever again.
                          I can't imagine what those recruiting trips were like. They'd bring in Snoop and Will Ferrell, etc.

You think back to the classic 90s movies The Program and Blue Chips. They were dead on. Now it's all just (mostly) legal.

"We didn't come here to play school."

-- Cardale Jones

At least he was honest.

Comment

• Originally posted by The P in IUP View Post

Hopefully they got a noon start time. Besides the jet lag, thats a six hour time difference.
                            They dont care. They got paid to go to Hawaii.

Anybody can feel free to pay me to go to Hawaii.

Comment

• Western Illinois is moving from the Missouri Valley to the Ohio Valley. They're also moving the rest of their sports from the Summit to the OVC. They were getting TROUNCED in the MVFC (home of North Dakota State and South Dakota State) and are now with their rival, Eastern Illinois.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                                Western Illinois is moving from the Missouri Valley to the Ohio Valley. They're also moving the rest of their sports from the Summit to the OVC. They were getting TROUNCED in the MVFC (home of North Dakota State and South Dakota State) and are now with their rival, Eastern Illinois.
                                A nice reminder for D2 schools who think they will be so great moving up.

No....no they won't.

There should be 5 NCAA classifications.

D1 - A - Power Conferences

D1 - AA - MAC and the rest of the FBS conferences that have no shot of beating the big boys.

D1- AAA - For the Patriot and NEC type of schools that are really D3 schools in drag.

D2

D3

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X