Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pa fall sports expected to start on time.

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pa fall sports expected to start on time.

https://www.goerie.com/sports/202006...orts-to-returnContact Tom Reisenweber at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @ETNreisenweber.

Originally posted by Sec10-A-14 View Post
    Man, some law firms booked a $#@& load of billable hours working up this CYA declaration.

Comment

Sounds pretty far-fetched to me that there will be high school football this fall to be honest. For anyone who had any experience with the sport it is pretty much impossible to avoid the perspiration, blood, and breathing (droplets) of other players. I'm sure the NFL and major college football will give it a go being that there is big $$$ involved there. D-II and lower tiers may be 50/50 at this point. But my prediction is that there very well may be no sports at the scholastic levels all across our state and beyond.

I can see where teams give it a go with certain precautions in place----but what happens the second when a player or coach or support staff member of a team has that positive test for Covid? Does the entire team go into quarantine and get taken out of circulation for the duration of the season?

I hope things work out but I have my doubts about it all.

-

Comment

I have no doubt that the season will start, but how long will it last?!

Comment

Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
          Sounds pretty far-fetched to me that there will be high school football this fall to be honest. For anyone who had any experience with the sport it is pretty much impossible to avoid the perspiration, blood, and breathing (droplets) of other players. I'm sure the NFL and major college football will give it a go being that there is big $$$ involved there. D-II and lower tiers may be 50/50 at this point. But my prediction is that there very well may be no sports at the scholastic levels all across our state and beyond.

I can see where teams give it a go with certain precautions in place----but what happens the second when a player or coach or support staff member of a team has that positive test for Covid? Does the entire team go into quarantine and get taken out of circulation for the duration of the season?

I hope things work out but I have my doubts about it all.

-
          The same could be asked about chemistry class.

How do you control this age group when the sun goes down? That's the major area of concern. You don't social distance at a keg bash.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

The same could be asked about chemistry class.

How do you control this age group when the sun goes down? That's the major area of concern. You don't social distance at a keg bash.
            My employer has set out policies regarding work and personal travel. Certain stipulations regarding what the procedures are for when you come back. If we are taking a week of vacation we have to tell our supervisor what our vacation plans are. There's scenarios where if you take vacation time to go somewhere, you may need to take additional time off to "quarantine" when you come back. That doesn't apply to work travel of course, but if you're voluntarily going into a "hot spot," the expectation is that you aren't coming straight back to the office. Rules are clearly laid out.

I can fly out of Columbus to Las Vegas tomorrow night after work, get there by 10:00 their time, spend the weekend with my friend from college who lives there, and take the red eye home Sunday night and be at work Monday morning. Won't have used a day of vacation and I didn't tell anybody a thing. Who's stopping that?

As you and I continue to say.. Life will go on or it won't. I bet it'll go on.

Comment

Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

My employer has set out policies regarding work and personal travel. Certain stipulations regarding what the procedures are for when you come back. If we are taking a week of vacation we have to tell our supervisor what our vacation plans are. There's scenarios where if you take vacation time to go somewhere, you may need to take additional time off to "quarantine" when you come back. That doesn't apply to work travel of course, but if you're voluntarily going into a "hot spot," the expectation is that you aren't coming straight back to the office. Rules are clearly laid out.

I can fly out of Columbus to Las Vegas tomorrow night after work, get there by 10:00 their time, spend the weekend with my friend from college who lives there, and take the red eye home Sunday night and be at work Monday morning. Won't have used a day of vacation and I didn't tell anybody a thing. Who's stopping that?

As you and I continue to say.. Life will go on or it won't. I bet it'll go on.
              I'm not sure how any of that connects to policymaking or the realities that face decision-makers on every level.

It appears that you're saying that people will circumvent the rules in every situation. That is true but what are the implications (for the PIAA, in this case)?

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

I'm not sure how any of that connects to policymaking or the realities that face decision-makers on every level.

It appears that you're saying that people will circumvent the rules in every situation. That is true but what are the implications (for the PIAA, in this case)?
                We could see a form for parents to sign off on "similar" to that ultimate outcome form you need to sign before an operation under anaesthesia. Having been in that position several times it's always freaky to acknowledge that yes I understand I may not survive this and it won't be the doctor's fault. Your son can play football for HOMETOWN HIGH SCHOOL but if he comes down with COVID-19 don't call us.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

We could see a form for parents to sign off on "similar" to that ultimate outcome form you need to sign before an operation under anaesthesia. Having been in that position several times it's always freaky to acknowledge that yes I understand I may not survive this and it won't be the doctor's fault. Your son can play football for HOMETOWN HIGH SCHOOL but if he comes down with COVID-19 don't call us.
                  You mean the form they put in front of you as they strap down and immobilize every part of your body and an assistant is putting the anesthesia mask on your face and they are saying to you 'Here, sign this.' Ok, I'm exaggerating a little bit but not by too much.

As far as parents signing off on letting their kids play I wonder how well that would hold up in court (or as a class action). When do the lawyers enter the picture?

The problem wouldn't be that the kid caught the virus and got sick. It would be that he or she gave it to Aunt Sally and she died. There's contact tracing, etc. and you better believe the law firms are getting their ducks in order.

Comment

You mean the form they put in front of you as they strap down and immobilize every part of your body and an assistant is putting the anesthesia mask on your face and they are saying to you 'Here, sign this.' Ok, I'm exaggerating a little bit but not by too much.

As far as parents signing off on letting their kids play I wonder how well that would hold up in court (or as a class action). When do the lawyers enter the picture?

The problem wouldn't be that the kid caught the virus and got sick. It would be that he or she gave it to Aunt Sally and she died. There's contact tracing, etc. and you better believe the law firms are getting their ducks in order.
                    Two professions who will clean up as a result of C19 are LAWYERS and UNDERTAKERS. They will never speak it, but the skies the limit if you're up and running.

Comment

You're connecting my post with the original policy making post, which wasn't my intent, even though I made a post about policy making. Follow that (lol)?....

My post was directed at IUPBigIndians. IUP CH said what happens if one player gets COVID-19, do you shut the whole team down? IUPBigIndians said that the same logic applies to a chemistry class. You can put in all the measures you want, but college keg parties are not going to be social distanced. So if Johnny was at the Delta house on Saturday night, caught the virus, and then went to class until he became symptomatic, should every person in the class be quarantined? I would say no.

My employer can put into effect all the travel policies that she wants. The state of Ohio is open. I can go to a club or bar tonight if I wanted to, not leave the general area and come down with the virus. I wouldn't have traveled anywhere.

So to your question, make all the regulations and policies you want. It won't matter. You can't control what somebody does or how they act when they aren't in your control. A friend of mine works for a club as a DJ. Their club is taking all sorts of incredible precautions. What do you think the entire staff is doing when they aren't working? They were all out drinking together at another bar last night (club is open Thurs-Sun). So cooks, wait staff, bartenders, etc.. All out doing things that people say will increase your chances of catching the virus. Their employer jumping through every hoop imaginable to remain open made no difference.

Comment

Yep. Control all you want from 8am to 5pm.

But ...as many of us know ... the goal on a campus after dark isn't to watch X's and O's. It's to party and, well, you know the rest.

So .... how is that controlled? Bus rides are a minor item. Sorority hooches, etc., are a far bigger risk. And, ... boys will be boys.

Tell a football team to stay away from 18-21 year-old co-eds ... better luck curing cancer.

Comment

I realize that the NFL is not the NCAA, but you'd have to imagine that guidelines for both will be somewhat similar. Here's Ravens Coach John Harbaugh: "What they're asking us to do is humanly impossible"...

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...nes-impossible
                          Last edited by WarriorVoice; 06-12-2020, 06:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                            Yep. Control all you want from 8am to 5pm.

But ...as many of us know ... the goal on a campus after dark isn't to watch X's and O's. It's to party and, well, you know the rest.

So .... how is that controlled? Bus rides are a minor item. Sorority hooches, etc., are a far bigger risk. And, ... boys will be boys.

Tell a football team to stay away from 18-21 year-old co-eds ... better luck curing cancer.
                            Those players have a better chance of being seriously injured in a bus crash going to the game than catching/spreading a virus.

Comment

Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

Those players have a better chance of being seriously injured in a bus crash going to the game than catching/spreading a virus.
                              CIte a source...just once, give us a source and not just an opinion...I suppose you didn't hear about the 5 Alabama players who caught it...

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X