Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pa fall sports expected to start on time.

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Already talk of IUPatties being held the second weekend back on campus. That will be a great social distancing event. Lol.

The restaurants and bars re-opened in Indiana .. hardly a mask to be seen. Right or wrong ... just reality. And, there's no students here.

Comment

Here in Monroe, masks are very commonplace. I'd estimate 75%. I marched with 2,000 protesters on June 1st, and about 90% of us were masked. Our worst day in the last week has seen 5 new cases, but we're only 3 weeks out from going yellow, and are set to go green next week. We can only wait and see. I agree that testing and masks will keep this manageable, but it's up to all of us to wear masks in public.

Comment

How do you social distance in the men's room at halftime?

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
          You don't.

Stadiums won't be for those worried about social distancing. I suspect those worried about it the most will just watch on TV.

Tailgating, consession lines, ticket lines, bathroom lines, bleachers, ... impossible to enforce social distancing.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Testing and masks will keep this manageable.
            Manageable? What does that mean?

I will tell you what it means here in Texas. According to Gov. Abbott we shouldn't be worried because they have a hospital bed waiting for us. No shortage. They even have enough ventilators in case we need one. From day 1 that's been the biggest part of "manageable."

Texas, IMO, opened too early and too quickly. Now the numbers keep going up and up. The gov says it's just because of increased testing. The doctors disagree.

Where I live in El Paso it keeps spreading. The gov gave us a two-week reprieve on the opening process but now we are in sync with the rest of the state. People wear masks here and take it seriously.

Everybody knows the border shutdown is set to expire next Monday. You can't trust any of the numbers Mexico releases. They are right next door so I don't feel that confident about the local situation.

Luckily, for those in PA, the situation has been handled pretty well, despite the absurd lawsuits and threats of "impeachment" by rural Republican legislators. Wolf held his ground as much as he could. Pennsylvania is now seeing a lot of improvement across the board.

My prediction: It's going to spike substantially nationwide and this is going to put football in jeopardy. The timing isn't good.

Comment

Manageable? What does that mean?

I will tell you what it means here in Texas. According to Gov. Abbott we shouldn't be worried because they have a hospital bed waiting for us. No shortage. They even have enough ventilators in case we need one. From day 1 that's been the biggest part of "manageable."

Texas, IMO, opened too early and too quickly. Now the numbers keep going up and up. The gov says it's just because of increased testing. The doctors disagree.

Where I live in El Paso it keeps spreading. The gov gave us a two-week reprieve on the opening process but now we are in sync with the rest of the state. People wear masks here and take it seriously.

Everybody knows the border shutdown is set to expire next Monday. You can't trust any of the numbers Mexico releases. They are right next door so I don't feel that confident about the local situation.

Luckily, for those in PA, the situation has been handled pretty well, despite the absurd lawsuits and threats of "impeachment" by rural Republican legislators. Wolf held his ground as much as he could. Pennsylvania is now seeing a lot of improvement across the board.

My prediction: It's going to spike substantially nationwide and this is going to put football in jeopardy. The timing isn't good.
              It means if you make masks just a part of everyday life the transmission will be kept down and if testing is so ramped up where you can just walk into pharmacies or walk in clinics for a test..they can track better and keep people isolated and keep spread to a minimum.

So sorry you have to suffer at the hands of the horrible Texastani state gubmint.

Comment

How long can it take 249 fans to go to the bathroom?! Will wide-mouth bottles sell-out at the concession stand?! (Do I get double the points for two hyphens in the same sentence?!)

Comment

I haven't seen it anywhere, but does the 250 person limit for events include the players? If they're each 6 ft apart they'll take up the entire sideline. If it's 250 for the entire stadium then you have to choose: parents and donors or band.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                    I haven't seen it anywhere, but does the 250 person limit for events include the players? If they're each 6 ft apart they'll take up the entire sideline. If it's 250 for the entire stadium then you have to choose: parents and donors or band.
                    If they do have restrictions on fans at D2 ... at least at most of our stadiums one could easily watch the game from outside the fence.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                      Players will be under different guidelines than the fans...Fans are generally 6 feet away from players in almost EVERY place I've ever been...Decisions aren't going to be easy, but pandemics aren't usually easy...

Comment

I believe there will be a football season and for college football crowds will be reduced to a 50% capacity. For PSAC schools other than Rock and the homecoming games at the schools no team draws that well where it will have a huge impact on the game. For how long have we had discussions on how poorly attended D2 games in our conference/region are generally. Outside of Rock, Shepherd, WCU who puts up great numbers weekly? I'm more concerned about player safety than having crowds. Are college kids really going to forego a semester of no parties?, no going home for weekends? If they forego both of those then the number of positive tests for students and athletes will be very small. If not there could be an explosion and closure of campuses. My daughter is going to Norfolk State in the fall after turning down a offer from Shippensburg, she has already been told they're not to go home, stay on campus as much as possible through Thanksgiving break and they'll finish the final 3 weeks of the fall semester online so that nobody brings the virus back to campus after Thanksgiving break.

Comment

Originally posted by shipfbfan1 View Post
                          I believe there will be a football season and for college football crowds will be reduced to a 50% capacity. For PSAC schools other than Rock and the homecoming games at the schools no team draws that well where it will have a huge impact on the game. For how long have we had discussions on how poorly attended D2 games in our conference/region are generally. Outside of Rock, Shepherd, WCU who puts up great numbers weekly? I'm more concerned about player safety than having crowds. Are college kids really going to forego a semester of no parties?, no going home for weekends? If they forego both of those then the number of positive tests for students and athletes will be very small. If not there could be an explosion and closure of campuses. My daughter is going to Norfolk State in the fall after turning down a offer from Shippensburg, she has already been told they're not to go home, stay on campus as much as possible through Thanksgiving break and they'll finish the final 3 weeks of the fall semester online so that nobody brings the virus back to campus after Thanksgiving break.

Attendance at D2 football or basketball won't be a big deal (for almost the whole league).

Even at SRU last year the numbers took a nosedive as the season wore on ... 7,481, 8,436, 9,931, 2,763, 3,143, 1,385, 2,113 and 1,420 -- for an average of 4,584 in an alleged 10,000 seat capacity.

IUP averaged 3,162 last Fall in 6,000-seat Miller Stadium. California averaged 2,698 in 6,500-seat Adamson Stadium.

Shepherd drew 4,786 per game in 5,000-seat Ram Stadium. That could be a big issue -- ticket lotteries, etc.

Same with West Chester ... last fall the Rams had 5,639 per game in 7,500-seat Farrell Stadium.

So, if you believe the announced numbers, the 50% capacity will only be an issue for a handful.

In basketball last year IUP led the way with 2,051 a game (about half capacity of the KCAC) -- although there was a five-game streak of more than 3,000. The next closest was Gannon at 896 per game which is less than half of the Hammermill capacity. The rest of the schools put up pitiful numbers.

And, no, college kids are not going to give up a semester of partying. No chance.

Comment

Texas games limited to 50% capacity.

https://www.elpasotimes.com/story/sp...us/3186338001/

Comment

Texas games limited to 50% capacity.

https://www.elpasotimes.com/story/sp...us/3186338001/
                              It's going to be a great time to be a ticket scalper in places like State College, Columbus, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

It's going to be a great time to be a ticket scalper in places like State College, Columbus, etc.
                                The sky is the limit.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X