Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pa fall sports expected to start on time.

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

That may be a tough call for any conference let alone the NCAA if a SUBSTANTIAL MAJORITY of teams are ready and willing to play. In the PSAC if 1-3 teams e.g.WCU, MU, SHU say they're not able to get it together but the other 13 say let's get it on, the complete shutdown may be a rather hard sell. We'll know in 10 weeks or less.
    I get all of your scenarios, but in March, not every team was seeing positive tests, and it didn't matter...

Comment

• Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

As I've said numerous times now, we saw it happen in March. Why would now be any different with no vaccine in place? It seems we've learned nothing in the last 3 months and that is really sad...March Madness is one of the NCAA's biggest money makers and they didn't hesitate to pull the plug...What's changed since March? Many more people are sick...
      I'm sure you'll try to shame me, but a lot actually. People are simply learning to live with the virus and get on with life, right or wrong. In March, there were a ton of unknowns (and truthfully, there still are), but we have more information now than we did previously and that's why people want to proceed with life. Doctors have not found the magical treatment or vaccine, but they've found better approaches to treating patients that we didn't have in March. Remember the yelling and screaming about ventilators? Doctors say that's one of the worst things they can do for patients now. Depending on which study you pull, the survival rate for patients on ventilators is around 15%.

We learn more and more every week with regards to this virus. A few weeks ago we learned that asymptomatic spread appears to be rare. Studies are showing that COVID death toll numbers may be inflated by at least 25%, which seems to be a big number. Colorado just did an official study where they evaluated deaths in their hospitals and found that hospitals wrongly listed "COVID" as the cause of death in about 25% of their cases. They adjusted their death toll for the virus accordingly. Different states have estimated that 25-40% of their Coronavirus deaths have been nursing home related. In any non-pandemic situation, would we talk about nursing home deaths? Probably not. But stats indicate that those individuals die at alarmingly high rates every month for a variety of reasons (age, condition, etc.).

The reality is that we played last college football season with COVID on our sidelines and in our stadiums. Recent reports showing that this virus was spreading through China in August 2019. If that's the case, it was here too. People need to be careful, certainly. But when you do research that isn't driven by political talking points it allows you to peel back the layers and gain some clarity.

Comment

The NCAA controls all athletics...If they say don't play, who's going to go against that?!?!? Why aren't you getting that?!
        Maybe because they've already said some schools may play and others won't be able to ...

NCAA will cancel a whole D1 season over Rutgers ... lol. Good luck with that one Mr. Doom and Gloom.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

I'm sure you'll try to shame me, but a lot actually. People are simply learning to live with the virus and get on with life, right or wrong. In March, there were a ton of unknowns (and truthfully, there still are), but we have more information now than we did previously and that's why people want to proceed with life. Doctors have not found the magical treatment or vaccine, but they've found better approaches to treating patients that we didn't have in March. Remember the yelling and screaming about ventilators? Doctors say that's one of the worst things they can do for patients now. Depending on which study you pull, the survival rate for patients on ventilators is around 15%.

We learn more and more every week with regards to this virus. A few weeks ago we learned that asymptomatic spread appears to be rare. Studies are showing that COVID death toll numbers may be inflated by at least 25%, which seems to be a big number. Colorado just did an official study where they evaluated deaths in their hospitals and found that hospitals wrongly listed "COVID" as the cause of death in about 25% of their cases. They adjusted their death toll for the virus accordingly. Different states have estimated that 25-40% of their Coronavirus deaths have been nursing home related. In any non-pandemic situation, would we talk about nursing home deaths? Probably not. But stats indicate that those individuals die at alarmingly high rates every month for a variety of reasons (age, condition, etc.).

The reality is that we played last college football season with COVID on our sidelines and in our stadiums. Recent reports showing that this virus was spreading through China in August 2019. If that's the case, it was here too. People need to be careful, certainly. But when you do research that isn't driven by political talking points it allows you to peel back the layers and gain some clarity.
          I'm not trying to shame anyone...We can argue numbers forever, but even if the deaths are 25% LOWER, THAT'S still 90,000 deaths in 4 months...That's not acceptable IMO. We still have no vaccine, and even herd immunity requires 70-90% infection among the population, and a vaccine. Maybe that's when we can relax and get back to normal...We're not there yet...
          Last edited by WarriorVoice; 06-24-2020, 04:36 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Maybe because they've already said some schools may play and others won't be able to ...

NCAA will cancel a whole D1 season over Rutgers ... lol. Good luck with that one Mr. Doom and Gloom.
            Hey, I want football. Not having football will literally cost me money. But no one saw the NCAA cancelling March Madness, until they did. Name-calling must have been a degree program of study at IUP, because you guys do that really well. Logic, not so much...

Comment

• Hi Guys. For the last couple of weeks I have been reading your post. Some of you make very good points. However, IMO you can't compare auto ACCIDENTS to Covid. I emphasized accidents because common sense says thats just what it is (check Webster). The virus initially attacked 65 n up, underlying issues, but now its 18-35. IMO, NOONE knows the outcome or a cure. Just like most of you do on here is assume. It's very mind-boggling how a few of you feel our children's lives playing football is not a risk. You talk about the politics of the sport and how much $$ they would lose. In REALITY the world would not end. Yes, the Athlete-Student could/would lose their scholarship if they chosed not to play because of the virus (pending law suits if reason being virus) but isn't that THEIR CHOICE? It appears you old-grumpy men feel you can't live without fb n hell with the rest of the world. It's so easy for you all to express "its only 1 death" in a younger person, but how would you feel if that ONE kid was your son, grandson, nephew or your best friend's kid? I know of a kid who wants to play so bad, their senior year but due to a certain situation he can't. Horrible as it is I believe in Divine Intervention. Call me silly or naive, IDC. Question for anyone: outside of the almighty $$$s, how terrible would it be to have NO fb this season. Just saying. GOS BLESS

Comment

• Originally posted by Ballin51 View Post
                Hi Guys. For the last couple of weeks I have been reading your post. Some of you make very good points. However, IMO you can't compare auto ACCIDENTS to Covid. I emphasized accidents because common sense says thats just what it is (check Webster). The virus initially attacked 65 n up, underlying issues, but now its 18-35. IMO, NOONE knows the outcome or a cure. Just like most of you do on here is assume. It's very mind-boggling how a few of you feel our children's lives playing football is not a risk. You talk about the politics of the sport and how much $$ they would lose. In REALITY the world would not end. Yes, the Athlete-Student could/would lose their scholarship if they chosed not to play because of the virus (pending law suits if reason being virus) but isn't that THEIR CHOICE? It appears you old-grumpy men feel you can't live without fb n hell with the rest of the world. It's so easy for you all to express "its only 1 death" in a younger person, but how would you feel if that ONE kid was your son, grandson, nephew or your best friend's kid? I know of a kid who wants to play so bad, their senior year but due to a certain situation he can't. Horrible as it is I believe in Divine Intervention. Call me silly or naive, IDC. Question for anyone: outside of the almighty $$$s, how terrible would it be to have NO fb this season. Just saying. GOS BLESS
                Please understand that a lot of us suggesting there will be sports are in no way saying there should be sports. At least, from my point of view ,colleges could go on safely with their task of educating students totally without sports. But realistically that will not happen. Nor will all restaurants stay closed forever, nor will movie theaters cease to show films. No matter how often you ask, the answer to your question will still be that, in the mind of many people, you simply have to learn to live with the disease and deaths. They feel that their lives CANNOT GO ON without college sports, restaurants and visits to DISNEY WORLD. The only Divinity that I see in any of this is the fact that a lot more souls will encounter it before this is done. Stay safe.

Comment

Please understand that a lot of us suggesting there will be sports are in no way saying there should be sports. At least, from my point of view ,colleges could go on safely with their task of educating students totally without sports. But realistically that will not happen. Nor will all restaurants stay closed forever, nor will movie theaters cease to show films. No matter how often you ask, the answer to your question will still be that, in the mind of many people, you simply have to learn to live with the disease and deaths. They feel that their lives CANNOT GO ON without college sports, restaurants and visits to DISNEY WORLD. The only Divinity that I see in any of this is the fact that a lot more souls will encounter it before this is done. Stay safe.
                  Disneyland just delayed their opening until sometime after July 4th, so there's that...Now 3 NE states just set a travel restriction...If you're traveling from a hot spot state to NY, NJ, OR CT, you must self-quarantine for 14 days...36,000 cases yesterday in the US...Sports is the LEAST of our worries right about now...

Comment

Disneyland just delayed their opening until sometime after July 4th, so there's that...Now 3 NE states just set a travel restriction...If you're traveling from a hot spot state to NY, NJ, OR CT, you must self-quarantine for 14 days...36,000 cases yesterday in the US...Sports is the LEAST of our worries right about now...
                    People die from the flu every year. Get out of fantasy land.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mjtheman View Post

People die from the flu every year. Get out of fantasy land.
                      2 complete sentences...Nice job...Gold star for you!!! Put it on your MAGA hat...

Comment

OK....

Comment

OK....
                          Plus the NFL just cancelled the HOF Game in Canton on 8/6...Expect more cancellations...

Comment

2 complete sentences...Nice job...Gold star for you!!! Put it on your MAGA hat...
                            You should change your name to voice of a coward. Maybe voice of an idiot.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mjtheman View Post

You should change your name to voice of a coward. Maybe voice of an idiot.
                              Get on your lawn tractor and head for Walmart for some beer...

Comment

Plus the NFL just cancelled the HOF Game in Canton on 8/6...Expect more cancellations...
                                OK....

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X