Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pa fall sports expected to start on time.

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Spring as in March 21, 2021? I do.
    From the onset several experts predicted this to be at least an 18-month pandemic. If by March we have a viable vaccine, it will still take months to vaccinate everyone. I hope you're correct but I don't expect things to be much different for at least another year. In human history, the only human disease we have ever eradicated with a vaccine is Smallpox...
    Last edited by WarriorVoice; 08-09-2020, 06:54 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

From the onset several experts predicted this to be at least an 18-month pandemic. If by March we have a viable vaccine, it will still take months to vaccinate everyone. I hope you're correct but I don't expect things to be much different for at least another year. In human history, the only human disease we have ever eradicated with a vaccine is Smallpox...
      I'd agree there's no chance (maybe 1%) that they (PSAC) play football this school year. Obviously, we already know the Fall is out.

Assuming they don't play at all, the seniors-to-be have some decisions to make -- in particular the ones scheduled to graduate in May. If some of them want to play their last year, they will likely need to sit out (from school) the Fall or Spring semester. Or, get accepted in to grad school.

I've also heard some will choose to sit out a Spring mini-season (should it happen) so they could have a full season in 2021.

I think schools will go to bat for the stars and try and work things out. For many of this years seniors, however, this is likely the end of the road.

Comment

• Like Fetch...fall sports is not happening.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post
          Like Fetch...fall sports is not happening.
          It will be fantastic for our country. A generation of already-undisciplined, lazy kids will now have absolutely nothing to do. Well, they'll find stuff to do.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

It will be fantastic for our country. A generation of already-undisciplined, lazy kids will now have absolutely nothing to do. Well, they'll find stuff to do.
            I think kid's lives are so virtual, anyway. I think we'll get through it. We've been through wars. If you look at the history books during the years from 1943-45 there were hardly any organized sports. People who grew up in London during the 1940's became used to their city getting bombed all the time. It's probably going to impact our lives for the next year (or less).

I remember back in 1972 when I was 13 and Hurricane Agnes devastated many parts of Pennsylvania, including where I lived. That summer there were no organized sports, no hanging out at the community swimming pool. We did find things to do but they often weren't good. One of the things was hopping freight trains, riding in the cars for a short stretch, and then jumping out of them. Friends taught me how to roll after you hit the ground to absorb the momentum. Needless to say, we did not report this back to our parents.

Comment

• If somebody's going to be the fall guy here, it's not going to be the governor. Although that ship might have already sailed.

https://www.pennlive.com/sports/2020...-you-want.html

Comment

They were already smoking weed.

Comment

• Originally posted by jrshooter View Post
                  If somebody's going to be the fall guy here, it's not going to be the governor. Although that ship might have already sailed.

https://www.pennlive.com/sports/2020...-you-want.html
                  Considering everything that's happened in PA I think his "recommendation" is the smartest approach. If he made it mandatory he would be facing lawsuits. So, he leaves it up to the individual school districts and now they say" We need more clarity."

My opinion is to shut it all down. I think if they play it will be shut down after a short while, anyway.

Comment

I think if they play it will be shut down after a short while, anyway.
                    Which is not the end of the world. (And, of course, none of this is.)

Say you play. Your Week 4 opponent has a positive case. No-contest for both teams; that opponent is shut down for two weeks.

lf a team finishes 3-1, at least they got four games. At least those seniors had something to remember.

As far as fans go, I could care less if they keep them out of the stadium. But I still want these kids to have some kind of season, and not try to squeeze three sports seasons into six months in 2021.

Comment

• Originally posted by jrshooter View Post

At least those seniors had something to remember.

And if, an admitted longshot, the memory they take away is of their favorite coach, team doctor or one of their own family contracting and dying of C19, so they could play a meaningless game? A lot of people take risks for a lot of reasons. Some good, some rather foolish. There are more than a few stories every day about people of all ages, genders and social backgrounds challenging this disease to have a normal life. The results are not always what they expect. And in too many cases it is the end of the world.

Comment

• Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
                        And if, an admitted longshot, the memory they take away is of their favorite coach, team doctor or one of their own family contracting and dying of C19, so they could play a meaningless game? A lot of people take risks for a lot of reasons. Some good, some rather foolish. There are more than a few stories every day about people of all ages, genders and social backgrounds challenging this disease to have a normal life. The results are not always what they expect. And in too many cases it is the end of the world.
                        Excellent post.

I just saw a video of a HS coach from Bedford, PA talking about 'not depriving the kids of this experience'. From what I see, that coach really doesn't "get it."

It's not good, no matter how you slice it. Everybody knows that. COVID-19 is not about the participants in the activity, though. The criteria for these local decisions is community spread. The coach was talking about the inherent risks of football and why they keep an ambulance beside the field at games. That is not the issue and it's completely irrelevant.

It's going to be interesting to see what decisions officials in these rural districts make. With all the criticism of the state-level leadership will the locals allow themselves to be held accountable?

Comment

Excellent post.

I just saw a video of a HS coach from Bedford, PA talking about 'not depriving the kids of this experience'. From what I see, that coach really doesn't "get it."

It's not good, no matter how you slice it. Everybody knows that. COVID-19 is not about the participants in the activity, though. The criteria for these local decisions is community spread. The coach was talking about the inherent risks of football and why they keep an ambulance beside the field at games. That is not the issue and it's completely irrelevant.

It's going to be interesting to see what decisions officials in these rural districts make. With all the criticism of the state-level leadership will the locals allow themselves to be held accountable?

What's amazing is every Little League field around is packed nightly without a mask in site -- players, fans, coaches. It's comical so much attention is being paid to college sports but nobody seems to give a rats a$$ about youth sports. It's a free-for-all. The complex in Indiana is packed nightly. I do understand Indiana is a 'rural' town and pretty lax on the Covid-19 topic (among the locals).

Comment

What's amazing is every Little League field around is packed nightly without a mask in site -- players, fans, coaches. It's comical so much attention is being paid to college sports but nobody seems to give a rats a$$ about youth sports. It's a free-for-all. The complex in Indiana is packed nightly. I do understand Indiana is a 'rural' town and pretty lax on the Covid-19 topic (among the locals).
                            It is amazing. When I read about baseball leagues out there I was surprised. Here in El Paso people wouldn't think of being that open. Yesterday, we had 20 Covid-related deaths in El Paso. I think that's about 3X more than Indiana County has had since the beginning

(Even though UTEP is planning on playing football this year - if you want to call what UTEP does football)

Comment

• In York County, the sandlot leagues have been playing regularly for about two months, and masks are rarely seen.

I'm not saying they're right; it's quite problematic. But that's the reality of recreational sports this summer.

Comment

Excellent post.

Speaking of accountability, I just heard a news story from NJ about opening the schools. Guess who has now stepped forward to put in their very big two cents. Not Superintendents or Principals, nor teachers or parents. School district lawyers. Seems they been going over the insurance coverage that some (penny pinching) districts have seen fit to pay for. And in several districts interviewed, the liability coverage appeared to come up way short of what could be needed. I'm guessing some insurance brokers are going to have a pretty nice holiday season.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X