Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• COVID-19

21 Clemson Football player tested Positive yesterday. And people, as I've read on these post, still want football. IMO its going to get worse.

Originally posted by Ballin51 View Post
    21 Clemson Football player tested Positive yesterday. And people, as I've read on these post, still want football. IMO its going to get worse.
    The breaking point for schools like CLEMSON and BAMA may be when enough SIGNIFICANT players are unavailable, either quarantined or hospitalized, that the chances of losing a game begin to rise. Opening up is great until the TIGERS or TIDE are looking an L in the face. Dying is acceptable...losing isn't.

Comment

Just came out 30 LSU fb players quarantine. Some are n quarantine waiting on results. IMO its IMPOSSIBLE to keep social distance n this sport. I say scratch season. I know a few players not going back this semester.

Comment

How can u say "dying is acceptable...losing ain't " with a clear conscious? Or did I miss the point here?

Comment

Originally posted by Ballin51 View Post
          How can u say "dying is acceptable...losing ain't " with a clear conscious? Or did I miss the point here?
          No, you simply disregard the point of view that a steady 40% of the population hold. As far as they're concerned the only problem is that the world is different than it was and that is unacceptable. They are willing to accept the 100,000- 300,000 dead as readily as 20 6-7 year olds in CT. Didn't say it made sense.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
            No, you simply disregard the point of view that a steady 40% of the population hold. As far as they're concerned the only problem is that the world is different than it was and that is unacceptable. They are willing to accept the 100,000- 300,000 dead as readily as 20 6-7 year olds in CT. Didn't say it made sense.
            I think as this continues to spread and it becomes clear that we can't run society in the way we are used to all that skepticism and disbelief and "freedom" will turn to basic fear. I think we are at a turning point. The toll is going to be too heavy and many of the skeptics will be forced to acknowledge what is happening. Just sayin'.

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

I think as this continues to spread and it becomes clear that we can't run society in the way we are used to all that skepticism and disbelief and "freedom" will turn to basic fear. I think we are at a turning point. The toll is going to be too heavy and many of the skeptics will be forced to acknowledge what is happening. Just sayin'.
              Hopefully that's the case but I sure don't see it in the behavior being exhibited in many areas.

Comment

Get out the Coleco hand held game many of us had as kids...Might be the best football we see for a while...For baseball there's always Strat-o-matic!!!

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
                  If you believe that contracting Corona is a sure death sentence, don't leave your house. There are any number of food and grocery delivery services, cable TV/Internet options, etc. to were you really don't need to expose yourself to the outside world at all. If you have a son or daughter that is set to go off to college, weather they are on scholarship or not, don't let them leave your house. If you feel so very sure that either catching Corona OR catching and spreading it is an absolute death sentence, then for gosh sakes, don't go outside for any reason.

But don't be one of those people, and there are MILLIONS of them across the US, that get on line and preach how this is just the tip of the iceburg and there are still MILLIONS that are going to die unless we lock everyone down for the next 6 months at least...and immediately after typing that, head out your front door to go buy groceries or visit friends or go out and have a meal.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

If you believe that contracting Corona is a sure death sentence, don't leave your house. There are any number of food and grocery delivery services, cable TV/Internet options, etc. to were you really don't need to expose yourself to the outside world at all. If you have a son or daughter that is set to go off to college, weather they are on scholarship or not, don't let them leave your house. If you feel so very sure that either catching Corona OR catching and spreading it is an absolute death sentence, then for gosh sakes, don't go outside for any reason.

But don't be one of those people, and there are MILLIONS of them across the US, that get on line and preach how this is just the tip of the iceburg and there are still MILLIONS that are going to die unless we lock everyone down for the next 6 months at least...and immediately after typing that, head out your front door to go buy groceries or visit friends or go out and have a meal.
                    Except that he didn't say that.

Comment

Who among us has said that contracting the virus is a death sentence?? I don't remember reading that from anyone here. The fact is we've lost 120,000 people in less than 4 months. That makes it bigger than H1N1 10 years ago, and we're at about 25% of the death toll of the pandemic of 100 years ago, (a 2-year event) in less than 4 months...Think about THAT!!

This forum is about D II Football, and although the context may be a bit different, IMO there's absolutely NO reason to risk a college football or any other student-athlete's life from this virus. Once we have a vaccine and we can begin to administer it to the population, and develop herd immunity, we can look at things differently. The vaccine and herd immunity go hand in hand, and we have Sanofi-Pasteur in our backyard, working on a vaccine. They say April-June 2021 at the earliest...These are facts, not opinions.

Comment

Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post
                        Who among us has said that contracting the virus is a death sentence?? I don't remember reading that from anyone here. The fact is we've lost 120,000 people in less than 4 months. That makes it bigger than H1N1 10 years ago, and we're at about 25% of the death toll of the pandemic of 100 years ago, (a 2-year event) in less than 4 months...Think about THAT!!

This forum is about D II Football, and although the context may be a bit different, IMO there's absolutely NO reason to risk a college football or any other student-athlete's life from this virus. Once we have a vaccine and we can begin to administer it to the population, and develop herd immunity, we can look at things differently. The vaccine and herd immunity go hand in hand, and we have Sanofi-Pasteur in our backyard, working on a vaccine. They say April-June 2021 at the earliest...These are facts, not opinions.
                        If you saw Fauci testifying before Congress this morning he thinks it's earlier e.g. the beginning of 2021. It's interesting that he said "if we are going to have a vaccine I expect it will be early 2021." He seemed to imply that we are expending all of our efforts to expedite it and if we can't get it by the beginning of the year that we aren't going to get it at all. That was my take.

Comment

People die of the flu every year. Time to move on and get back to football.

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Except that he didn't say that.
                            Then what's the issue? If for most people, Covid is mostly an inconvienance like the flu, why are people going bat crap crazy about a "spike" in cases? I mean, we hang on these daily and weekly stats like they are guarantees of a coming appocalipse. It seems like it has become almost a silly but sick "team sport" for swaths of Americans...Either you are on Team End of Days or Team Head in the Sand. One "team" will site a "spike" in cases as proof they are right and the other side points declining "deaths" as proof that they are right...and the next day if the numbers are reversed they will use the other stat to prove that they are right.

I've said this since day 1. It is not going to be nearly as bad as some people want it to be...BUUUTTTT it is not a big nothing burger as the "other side" made it out to be. Proper precautions needed to be taken until we had a better handle on it's method of transmission, who was most at risk, how serious it really was from a life and death standpoint and appropriate treatment protocols. Once you had a handle on those things (which I think we do now), you could start to ease off on the restrictions in areas and in groups were it is a minor managable situation while keeping things clamped down on areas and with people that are most at risk of an explosive return.

But I stand by what I said, if you feel that you and your family are at risk, stay locked down...no matter what the state, county or local government say. As the saying goes, you do you and I'll do me.

Comment

Are you suggesting no schools open at all? Going to science class can be just as risky as playing a sport. Will every doorknob be sanitzed every 30 seconds? Every chair in every classroom? How often will restrooms in academic buildings be sanitized? Keyboards in computer labs, water fountains, ... the list is endless and impossible to keep up to sanitary standards. Obviously that's on the academic part of a students day. Nightlife is a whole different animal. But, the two go hand in hand. What gets spread at Johnny Frat's on Thursday night will be in the business building at 8am Friday morning.

If schools can open kids can play sports. Going all online will be a financial disaster.

I've worked every day of the pandemic and flown about 40,000+ miles through 12 or so cities. Spent a week at the beach. Life has to go on in some capacity. We have to be careful. Do you trust a campus to be careful? I sure as heck don't. But, how many could survive a 20 or 30 percent drop in enrollment?

I have no doubt campuses will be a disaster. Unavoidable. And, because of the nightlife aspect it will likely ruin college sports this year. Pro sports I beleive will function.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X