Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange But True, Coaching Edition

I fell in a rabbit hole over the weekend and found some interesting facts about the annual PSAC Coach of the Year award:

1. By far, Danny Hale has won the most PSAC Coach of the Year awards (10). George Mihalik is second, with 6.

2. Frank Cignetti won the West Division award five times in his first nine seasons and zero times in his final 11 seasons.

3. Marty Schaetzle has won as many Coach of the Year awards (3) as Gene Carpenter, Denny Douds and John Luckhardt COMBINED.

4. In 1993, Cheyney went 3-8, with wins over Southern Connecticut (which ended up 3-7-1), West Virginia State (1-9) and Kutztown (2-9). In their eight losses, the Wolves were outscored 336-75. Cheyney coach Chris Roulhac was named the PSAC East Coach of the Year that season.
    http://www.indianagazette.com
    www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Was the rabbit who dug the hole named Harvey? LOL.

Sounds like Frank Cignetti didn't win the award after the so-called IUP Rule came into play. Seemed like a lot of anti-IUP sentiment existed around that time and for quite awhile thereafter.

Regarding the Cheyney coach---sounds a bit like the time in 1997 when the Gazette tabbed Penns Manor football coach Alan Nichol as Coach of the Year for going 2-7 that fall. I guess considering that they had something like three winless seasons in the four years prior to that 2-7 sounded pretty good.

-

Comment

Lucky likely got the same treatment at Cal as other coaches resented Angelo's 'allocation' of funds in to the program.

Comment

#3 is what was most surprising to me.

Jim Clements (6 seasons), Paul Darragh (7), Shawn Lutz (4), Mark Maciekewski (9) and Ray Monica (7) have won the award twice while Douds (45 seasons), Carpenter (31) and Luckhardt (10) won it once.

The award is voted on by coaches and usually goes to the coach of the best team in the division or the most surprising team in the division. All I can assume is that Douds and Carpenter rarely had either of those.

Carpenter (212 career wins) is in the College Football Hall of Fame. Luckhardt (88 at Cal) is on the ballot this year and will get in at some point. Douds (264) will, too.

Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
        Sounds like Frank Cignetti didn't win the award after the so-called IUP Rule came into play. Seemed like a lot of anti-IUP sentiment existed around that time and for quite awhile thereafter.
        In 1991, Frank was named the Chevrolet NCAA Division II Coach of the Year, but Shippensburg's Rocky Rees was the PSAC West Coach of the Year. IUP beat Shippensburg twice in 1991, 47-0 (regular season) and 52-7 (playoffs).

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post
          #3 is what was most surprising to me.

Jim Clements (6 seasons), Paul Darragh (7), Shawn Lutz (4), Mark Maciekewski (9) and Ray Monica (7) have won the award twice while Douds (45 seasons), Carpenter (31) and Luckhardt (10) won it once.

The award is voted on by coaches and usually goes to the coach of the best team in the division or the most surprising team in the division. All I can assume is that Douds and Carpenter rarely had either of those.

Carpenter (212 career wins) is in the College Football Hall of Fame. Luckhardt (88 at Cal) is on the ballot this year and will get in at some point. Douds (264) will, too.
          Coach Mihalik (197 wins)

Comment

Originally posted by SRU 88 View Post

Coach Mihalik (197 wins)
            Yes, he is. But I was taking about the other three coaches and how they for some reason only won the award once.
            Last edited by Matt Burglund; 06-23-2020, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Yes, he is. But I was taking about the other three coaches and how they for some reason only won the award once.
              Douds and Carpenter had a lot of success, some might say even more success, at their respective schools for several years prior to the first year of the award in 1985. Similar to the 1993 event that you indicated, Mansfield was the recipient of a couple of the "everybody gets a trophy" seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Horror Child View Post

Douds and Carpenter had a lot of success, some might say even more success, at their respective schools for several years prior to the first year of the award in 1985. Similar to the 1993 event that you indicated, Mansfield was the recipient of a couple of the "everybody gets a trophy" seasons.
                I find it almost inconceivable that it took so long to create an award like that...

Comment

Douds and Carpenter had a lot of success, some might say even more success, at their respective schools for several years prior to the first year of the award in 1985.
                  You have a point there. Douds went 78-33-1 (.701) before 1985 and 186-172-3 (.519) from 1985 on, and Carpenter was 93-45-3 (.670) before 1985 and 119-94-2 (.558) after.

Similar to the 1993 event that you indicated, Mansfield was the recipient of a couple of the "everybody gets a trophy" seasons.
                  I don't know about that. Mansfield coaches won the award twice. Tom Elasser in 1990, when his team went 4-5-1 a year after going 5-6 and a year before going 6-4-1. That's better than Cheyney's 3-8 season when they only beat three bad teams. Chris Woods won it in 2003 when Mansfield went 8-3, only its second winning season since 1975.
                  Last edited by Matt Burglund; 06-24-2020, 07:16 AM.

Comment

I don't know about that. Mansfield coaches won the award twice. Tom Elasser in 1990, when his team went 4-5-1 a year after going 5-6 and a year before going 6-4-1. That's better than Cheyney's 3-8 season when they only beat three bad teams. Chris Woods won it in 2003 when Mansfield went 8-3, only its second winning season since 1975.

Switching sports but Joe Lombardi DIDN'T win West Coach of the Year last year after going 28-2, winning the West (again) and winning the PSAC (again). Figure that out. Region Coach of the Year but not West. LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                      Switching sports but Joe Lombardi DIDN'T win West Coach of the Year last year after going 28-2, winning the West (again) and winning the PSAC (again). Figure that out. Region Coach of the Year but not West. LOL.
                      I know, right? Lombardi's teams have won 10 division and 5 conference championships in the past 11 seasons. He's been named CoY three times.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X