Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Consolidation Coming Soon

The reconstituted PASSHE board would have the authority to consolidate schools, eliminate programs, turn existing schools into branch campuses of other universities, create new schools, and share back-office services.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/pages.press...-0009-300W.jpg

Originally posted by Bart View Post
    The reconstituted PASSHE board would have the authority to consolidate schools, eliminate programs, turn existing schools into branch campuses of other universities, create new schools, and share back-office services.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/pages.press...-0009-300W.jpg
    About freakin' time.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

About freakin' time.
      Easy for you to say, since IUP is not included.

Comment

Easy for you to say, since IUP is not included.
        It's long overdue from a business stand point.

Comment

The link doesn't work. Where can we find this article?

Comment

Link doesn't work for me either.

Comment

Type PASSHE into Google ... you'll get several hits from different media outlets.

Comment

So how will the board wield their surgeons blade? Case can be made for three "Universities" (Lets call them East Pennsylvania University, Central Pennsylvania University and West Pennsylvania University). The three main campuses would be the current IUP (West PU), Bloomsburg (Central PU) and West Chester (East PU). WPU would have satellite campuses at Cal, Slippery Rock and Edinboro, CPU would consist of Lock Haven, Ship and Millersville and EPU would have satellite campuses at Kutz, and E Stroud. As for Clarion, Mansfield and Cheyney, Clarion and Mansfield would close while Cheyney would be completely absorbed by EPU but would maintain the name Cheyney University.

The million dollar question for us is who keeps football? Obviously the three "Main Campus" plus probably WPU-California, WPU-Slippery Rock, CPU-Shippensburg, CPU-Lock Haven, EPU-Kutz and EPU-E Stroud. That would make a 13 team conference which is not an ideal number but if they kept 13 schools in the PSAC and they chose to continue the E/W break down, it could look like:

PSAC West

IUP
                Cal
                SRU
                Gannon
                Hurst
                SHU
                Shepherd

PSAC East

WCU
                Lock Haven
                Bloom
                ESU
                Kutz
                Ship

More likely they jetason one of either Gannon, Hurst, Seton Hill or Shepherd.
                Last edited by boatcapt; 06-24-2020, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                  So how will the board wield their surgeons blade? Case can be made for three "Universities" (Lets call them East Pennsylvania University, Central Pennsylvania University and West Pennsylvania University). The three main campuses would be the current IUP (West PU), Bloomsburg (Central PU) and West Chester (East PU). WPU would have satellite campuses at Cal, Slippery Rock and Edinboro, CPU would consist of Lock Haven, Ship and Millersville and EPU would have satellite campuses at Kutz, and E Stroud. As for Clarion, Mansfield and Cheyney, Clarion and Mansfield would close while Cheyney would be completely absorbed by EPU but would maintain the name Cheyney University.
                  That's drastic change, and I don't see PA doing anything that monumental, at least not in my lifetime...I think they'll more than likely look at moving Cheyney under West Chester's umbrella. Perhaps a merger between Mansfield and Lock Haven. Glaciers have melted faster than the PA legislature doing anything these days...

Comment

Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

That's drastic change, and I don't see PA doing anything that monumental, at least not in my lifetime...I think they'll more than likely look at moving Cheyney under West Chester's umbrella. Perhaps a merger between Mansfield and Lock Haven. Glaciers have melted faster than the PA legislature doing anything these days...
                    I could see Clarion falling in to this to some capacity ... perhaps under SRU's rule.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I could see Clarion falling in to this to some capacity ... perhaps under SRU's rule.
                      Yeah I just wasn't exactly sure which umbrella they'd fit under best...I'm pretty sure I remember reading something about one of the Shippen girls being a British spy in Colonial days...Do we need a new name for that school south of Harrisburg? (JOKE)

Comment

Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

Perhaps. Of course it could be like a willow as opposed to a glacier. They have been bending in the wind for a long time now. Evantualy even willows break in the wind.

If I were a betting man, I'd say that there will be some quick action (Attaching Cheyney to WCU and closing Mansfield) and things that will take a few years to take place (be they the changes I predict or the ones you project).

But as this is an athletic board. Who do you project maintains athletics and football specifically? PASSHE schools that evade the knife but are still in financial straights could save a pretty penny by cutting athletics out of their annual budget.

Comment

My apologies{

By Jan Murphy | [email protected]

*This story has been updated.
                          State lawmakers have approved legislation that would radically change the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education within the next three years.
                          The bill, which represents the most dramatic change ever made to the 1982 law that created the state system, is now before Gov. Tom Wolf.
                          The Senate on Wednesday voted 47-3 to approve a bill The need to reform

System officials have seen the writing on the wall more than four years ago that as a whole, its 14 universities were on an unsustainable path. As just under 96,000 last fall. As of June 5, its first-year student enrollment for the fall semester had declined 1.7 percent from the same time last year.

In another sign of troubles, Mansfield University this spring required up to a $6 million a promise made last fall by Gov. Tom Wolf to help the school eliminate its mountain of debt prevented the commission from taking that unusual action.

System officials have said nine of the 14 universities project the need to dip into their reserves to cover a combined $146 million in operating expenses through the next three years.

Currently, the system anticipates a $52 million financial loss through the summer due to the pandemic even after accounting for the federal CARES ACT funding. And to help it deal with its fiscal woes, it is nearing the end of a window of its third retirement incentiveWhy make exceptionsNo university will closea vote of 200-2.

Jan Murphy may be reached at [email protected]. Follow her on Twitter at @JanMurphy.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

Perhaps. Of course it could be like a willow as opposed to a glacier. They have been bending in the wind for a long time now. Evantualy even willows break in the wind.

If I were a betting man, I'd say that there will be some quick action (Attaching Cheyney to WCU and closing Mansfield) and things that will take a few years to take place (be they the changes I predict or the ones you project).

But as this is an athletic board. Who do you project maintains athletics and football specifically? PASSHE schools that evade the knife but are still in financial straights could save a pretty penny by cutting athletics out of their annual budget.
                            Two points from the article: no school will close and WCU and IUP will not be combined with any other school) So WCU stands alone and Mansfield will not close.

Comment

Two points from the article: no school will close and WCU and IUP will not be combined with any other school) So WCU stands alone and Mansfield will not close.
                              Insane speculation being a great tradition on this MB I'll step up and say that the first two mergers will be SRU/CLARION and LHU/MANSFIELD. Four in the West appears to be the minimum but who knows. In the East it seems another merger would be logical but I can't see which one. Any guesses ?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X